FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

1 leaf + snow + Plenum chamber = biblical flood.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chirish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 leaf + snow + Plenum chamber = biblical flood.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:18pm
After the recent snow storm I experienced a flood whilst driving.

I brought the car to vw and they told me the plenum seems to be blocked and that even a single leaf can cause this kind of damage.

I'm a bit dumbfounded cause I was under the impression they were more robust. My family have owned countless VAGs for much longer then this and this has never been an issue. I appreciate I should have checked more often, but there didn't appear to be many leaves under the bonnet.

They want £650 (haggled down) to dry out the carpets and water test the car.

It's still under warranty, but this isn't covered.

Is this a fair price?

I've seen other posts where it looks as if some may have gotten vw to so this for free but not much more info on them..

Would I be better off hiring a dehumidifier from selco or ripping out the carpet and drying it myself?

Would appreciate any advice. I know I'm stupid. I love my up and it's sick.

Edited by Chirish - 13 Dec 2017 at 6:23pm
Sponsored Links

djcowlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcowlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:17am
I see they still haven't fixed this common VAG problem, which was notorious on the B5 Passat and related models. A fellow motorist once flagged me down to say that he had seen several litres of water coming out of the side of the bonnet of my B5.5 Passat when I went round a roundabout.

Your best bet is to find out if others are affected and then take that evidence to the dealer. There may be a simple fix to stop this recurring - on the Passat it was simply to remove the rubber grommets in the plenum drain holes. I certainly wouldn't pay them to dry out your carpets!

Edited by djcowlin - 14 Dec 2017 at 7:18am
2016 High Up! 75PS
2016 BMW 340i Touring
djcowlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcowlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:19am
P.S. This will give you a flavour of what we are talking about for the Passat:

2016 High Up! 75PS
2016 BMW 340i Touring
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic