FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

A little review of our Up Tsi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Bobw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Ed463 Ed463 wrote:

Ours is at around 5,500 miles now and so far it's been a great choice. The TSI engine transforms the UP. It's a brilliant engine, so flexible, and quick enough when you're in the mood (still toying with a remap to 130bhp though).
I'm not over stating things when I say it's a spiritual successor to our Mk1 Golf GTi
It's so much better than the so called "city car" description would imply. Comfortable and refined on B roads or motorways. And the packaging, as you say, is excellent.
Fuel economy isn't as good as I'd hoped but still OK at 48mpg ish.

In its class (and I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses or being a VW fanboy) it's way ahead of its competitors in most areas. Certainly the important areas

Have you thought any more about the 130ps remap?. I love my High Up! TSi to pieces, but I'd love to have it make 130 brake - just to annoy the GTI drivers...
There seem to be two companies currently offering the remap, Elite Remaps and Celtic Tuning. I'm leaning towards Celtic Tuning having used them before to remap a 1.6 Fiesta diesel.
Sponsored Links

Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:58pm
Haven't taken the plunge yet but did get a price from Celtic Tuning. £360.
They've remapped my Sprinter to around 230bhp and 500Nm, it's impressive
I'll probably go for it, just a little hesitant as the UP isn't used that much.
If/when I do I'll post on here.
PhilDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Hi
Just over a month ago I got my Up! after 10 years of driving two different Golfs, both with DSG boxes.
Initial impressions are extremely favourable.
I live in a city, do very small annual mileages these days and the Up! seems ideal for my needs.
A major plus, coming from an auto, is that the car is torquey enough not to need constant gear changes in town.
I'm struggling a bit with the technology though. The phone holder with USB socket on the dash seems a great idea, but it cuts out my bluetooth music - annoying. 
The other weird thing is that even when using the VW Maps & More App, which at first sight seems great, there's no sound when using the sat nav.

The other niggle is squeaky brakes when braking gently. Unhelpfully I was told at my local dealers that "yes they will squeak". 

Great wee car and I'm sure I'm going to love it but any comments on the above?
High UP! TSI 2018
Darren C View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darren C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
Hi Phil,

The up! is a great little car as you are finding out, the TSI a joy.

Re: Sat-Nav Maps and More, I've found the sound hit and miss too. Try plugging in first before opening the App and setting a destination.

Cheers,

Darren

Honey Yellow TSI - 5 Door [2017]
dave21120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave21120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by IanE IanE wrote:

Here's a little review of our experience so far of our High Up Tsi.

We picked up our car on 7 December.

We pushed the boat out on the spec, so it's got all the options except a height adjustable passenger seat. It also has the standard wheels.

In summary, we LOVE it!

Our previous car was a 2013 mini cabrio cooper d. It was excellent fun and I do like convertibles - hence opting for the panoramic roof option on the up! However it was not very practical - with a dog, grandchildren and an ageing mum to accommodate.

The internal space for the size of car is amazing - much more room for passengers and luggage than the mini despite being quite a bit smaller on the outside. Bags of room for Grainne, our Irish Terrier, in the boot.

We both are very happy with the driving position and the comfy seats.

And it is a whole 0.1 seconds quicker to 60 than the mini! Well at least on paper. I got some really useful comments on here about how to treat the engine from new (thanks again). After much agonising I decided we should go with the advice from the owners manual and keep the revs down for the first 1000 miles. We will shortly have done that many miles - I'm very much looking forward to giving it some revs ( though as some have said, the performance of the engine up to a modest 3000 revs is pretty impressive!).

I did change the speakers in the front of the car - tweeters and mains in the door panels. The sound quality before was pretty good, but for my ears, it's now even better.

The only complaint I have - and I know I'm not on my own on this - is the Maps and More app. The sat nav is just too basic for me. Is it really the case that it doesn't allow access to contacts from your phone (iphone in my case), and that you can't access previous destinations? So that you have to input addresses manually every time? We'll be sticking to Google maps thank you!

We still LOVE it though!

Ian

Hello IanE - you say you have changed your front door speakers. Do you mind me asking what you changed them to?

Also, I took one of my door trims off in a rush as usual and discovered that apart from the usual fir tree clips there was some sort of metal fixing at the very bottom that didn’t want to release - did you have that issue?

Finally did you drill the rivets out for the old speakers and did the replacements slot straight in?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for reply.

David
Tungsten Silver Seat Mii Design 5DR

Driver pack, Convenience Pack, Heated Seats, DAB and BEATS audio
dave21120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave21120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:46pm
Hello again IanE

Update on my post from a few minutes ago - I have now read all of the thread and see my question has been asked and answered already. Apologies for that.

Glad you like your TSI. My Mii has only 60PS and that’s good fun to drive so the TSI must be great.
Tungsten Silver Seat Mii Design 5DR

Driver pack, Convenience Pack, Heated Seats, DAB and BEATS audio
IanE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 10:54pm
Hi Dave - no worries - enjoy your lovely car!
rampower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rampower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:39am
I'm in current negations for a high up tsi with 17 inch alloys and spoiler, I have a gti ordered but if I don't get even a provisional date within the next week or 2, then it might be the tsi. I will see what they come up with, but they have already knocked 1400 off for starters, plus the 500 contribution. Due to resale value the pep even with this discount is identical, so the deal is not there yet. (although the end payment would be smaller) but we will see if they can do any better, this was without any negotiation, just first email for a price.
2017 Mercedes SLC and public transport. ( black up gti ordered with eternal wait FOC)
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Bobw Bobw wrote:

Originally posted by Ed463 Ed463 wrote:

Ours is at around 5,500 miles now and so far it's been a great choice. The TSI engine transforms the UP. It's a brilliant engine, so flexible, and quick enough when you're in the mood (still toying with a remap to 130bhp though).
I'm not over stating things when I say it's a spiritual successor to our Mk1 Golf GTi
It's so much better than the so called "city car" description would imply. Comfortable and refined on B roads or motorways. And the packaging, as you say, is excellent.
Fuel economy isn't as good as I'd hoped but still OK at 48mpg ish.

In its class (and I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses or being a VW fanboy) it's way ahead of its competitors in most areas. Certainly the important areas

Have you thought any more about the 130ps remap?. I love my High Up! TSi to pieces, but I'd love to have it make 130 brake - just to annoy the GTI drivers...
There seem to be two companies currently offering the remap, Elite Remaps and Celtic Tuning. I'm leaning towards Celtic Tuning having used them before to remap a 1.6 Fiesta diesel.

Had the remap carried out by Celtic.
It's impressive
Darren C View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:08am
Can you elaborate on the map please; in gear acceleration, fuel economy comparisons. Cheers.
Honey Yellow TSI - 5 Door [2017]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic