FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

A little review of our Up Tsi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
IanE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little review of our Up Tsi
    Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 7:53am
Here's a little review of our experience so far of our High Up Tsi.

We picked up our car on 7 December.

We pushed the boat out on the spec, so it's got all the options except a height adjustable passenger seat. It also has the standard wheels.

In summary, we LOVE it!

Our previous car was a 2013 mini cabrio cooper d. It was excellent fun and I do like convertibles - hence opting for the panoramic roof option on the up! However it was not very practical - with a dog, grandchildren and an ageing mum to accommodate.

The internal space for the size of car is amazing - much more room for passengers and luggage than the mini despite being quite a bit smaller on the outside. Bags of room for Grainne, our Irish Terrier, in the boot.

We both are very happy with the driving position and the comfy seats.

And it is a whole 0.1 seconds quicker to 60 than the mini! Well at least on paper. I got some really useful comments on here about how to treat the engine from new (thanks again). After much agonising I decided we should go with the advice from the owners manual and keep the revs down for the first 1000 miles. We will shortly have done that many miles - I'm very much looking forward to giving it some revs ( though as some have said, the performance of the engine up to a modest 3000 revs is pretty impressive!).

I did change the speakers in the front of the car - tweeters and mains in the door panels. The sound quality before was pretty good, but for my ears, it's now even better.

The only complaint I have - and I know I'm not on my own on this - is the Maps and More app. The sat nav is just too basic for me. Is it really the case that it doesn't allow access to contacts from your phone (iphone in my case), and that you can't access previous destinations? So that you have to input addresses manually every time? We'll be sticking to Google maps thank you!

We still LOVE it though!

Ian

Sponsored Links

Darren C View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:23am
Hi Ian, pleased to read that you are enjoying your new fully loaded purchase. I’m still running mine in would you believe and have not hit 600 miles yet. So busy with things around the house and work, limited opportunity to stretch its legs.

I currently have a Samsung Edge S7 and the app connects to my contacts fine. Regarding the sat-nav, it also saves previous destinations too. I am unable to recall off-hand how to access this, but will try to find a window over the weekend to confirm.
Honey Yellow TSI - 5 Door [2017]
kernow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 9:09am
Since purchasing our tsi back in September we have now covered around 2500 miles and have loved every mile of it, it just seems to tick all the boxes so looking forward to a long lasting ownership with it.........Thumbs Up

Edited by kernow - 06 Jan 2018 at 9:10am
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 10:15am
Ours is at around 5,500 miles now and so far it's been a great choice. The TSI engine transforms the UP. It's a brilliant engine, so flexible, and quick enough when you're in the mood (still toying with a remap to 130bhp though).
I'm not over stating things when I say it's a spiritual successor to our Mk1 Golf GTi
It's so much better than the so called "city car" description would imply. Comfortable and refined on B roads or motorways. And the packaging, as you say, is excellent.
Fuel economy isn't as good as I'd hoped but still OK at 48mpg ish.

In its class (and I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses or being a VW fanboy) it's way ahead of its competitors in most areas. Certainly the important areas
Darren C View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 10:33am
Plus one to this. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Ed463 Ed463 wrote:

Ours is at around 5,500 miles now and so far it's been a great choice. The TSI engine transforms the UP. It's a brilliant engine, so flexible, and quick enough when you're in the mood (still toying with a remap to 130bhp though).
I'm not over stating things when I say it's a spiritual successor to our Mk1 Golf GTi
It's so much better than the so called "city car" description would imply. Comfortable and refined on B roads or motorways. And the packaging, as you say, is excellent.
Fuel economy isn't as good as I'd hoped but still OK at 48mpg ish.

In its class (and I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses or being a VW fanboy) it's way ahead of its competitors in most areas. Certainly the important areas
Honey Yellow TSI - 5 Door [2017]
IanE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 5:33pm
Cheers Darren - I'd certainly be interested to know if the sat nav can work effectively. Though I think I'm unlikely to be tempted away from Google maps tbh.

Just come back from a couple of hours driving on country back roads - very nice handling and acceleration. As has been said here I think, you've got all you're going to get out of the engine by 5000 revs, so a bit pointless to go beyond that.
911ts3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911ts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 3:40pm
Just cracked 2500 miles in our Tsi and it just gets better and better.
As Darren said, definitely the spiritual successor to the Mk1 Golf GTi.
No way I'd even consider an Up GTi after this, way too much money for a 6 speed box and some decals.
The Tsi is much more of a "sleeper" , and I love it all the more for that.
We weren't going to change our 15 plate Up this year, but I'm getting very tempted.............
Steve
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 18 Plate 5 Door 90 bhp High Up Tsi in Costa Azule,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.
David Wright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 911ts3 911ts3 wrote:

No way I'd even consider an Up GTi after this, way too much money for a 6 speed box and some decals.

Way too much money?  The High Up TSI is £12,675.  The GTI is £13,750

For your £1,075 you get rather more than decals and a 6 speed gearbox.  You get 28% more power, larger wheels and tyres (an £825 option on the High Up), lowered sports suspension and of course all the GTI trim inside and out.

I have no intention of buying the GTI but in terms of value for money compared to the High Up TSI it strikes me as a bargain.  Especially as I'm pretty sure it will retain its value better.

Edited by David Wright - 03 Feb 2018 at 4:25pm
911ts3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911ts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
Yep. It's a completely personal view. You see I've been there with GTi's. Mk 1, 4 Mk2's, a Mk3, and a Mk4 1.8T. Done the wheels, tartan trim etc several times.
My view, just based on the list prices, is that for the difference, I can do another 10,000 miles, a years motoring for me.
That doesn't take into account the difference in what the insurance might be, which is likely to be much more than the £15 per year extra that the Tsi has cost over the older 75bhp High Up we have.
Granted you're right in that the GTi may hold it's price a tad better, but conversely, you're less likely to get a better deal on a Gti, either buying new now, or 6/9 months down the road on an ex-demo or a pre-reg, because of the "desirability" factor of the Gti.
As far as the performance goes, there's been plenty of debate about the rated bhp of the Tsi, more like 105bhp than 90, so it could be that the real difference in perfomance will be minimal. I'm looking forward to what new GTi owners think of the performance, in a few months when they've owned them for a while, even more when some will have had them on rolling roads.
So, it's horses for courses, and for me, the TSi suits better.

Edited by 911ts3 - 03 Feb 2018 at 8:05pm
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 18 Plate 5 Door 90 bhp High Up Tsi in Costa Azule,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 6:13pm
I'm surprised at the apparently low price for the GTi, I say apparently as a few options will soon push the price North!
Also not many will pay list for the TSI, ours was close to £3k less than list when you take the options it has into account. A few hundred will be all you'll get off a GTI.
So on balance I'd still go for a TSI, I like the sleeper version and keeping the dosh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic