FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

ASG/automatic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ianlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:35am
Bought a VW Up last week with ASG transmission (high up). Not as smooth to drive like other automatics out there, a bit slow to change gear and can be jerky when you are heavy on the pedals. On a positive note it has plenty of power, no problem overtaking in motorways. Takes a bit of time to get used to but now I like it very much.
Sponsored Links

Easty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by ianlg ianlg wrote:

Bought a VW Up last week with ASG transmission (high up). Not as smooth to drive like other automatics out there, a bit slow to change gear and can be jerky when you are heavy on the pedals. On a positive note it has plenty of power, no problem overtaking in motorways. Takes a bit of time to get used to but now I like it very much.

Good to hear a more positive opinion to ASG. I have now taken the plunge with an 66 reg UP ASG.
I have driven it several miles and although not as smooth as a "conventional" box is still OK if not hurried.
I hope to keep you updated with my experience as time goes by.
Easty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 5:53pm
I have travelled a lot more miles now and find my little UP very surprising. I am beginning to enjoy the experience a lot more. It does take time to get used to the ASG but by driving in a relaxed manner all is well. Ramps / slopes in multi-story car parks can be a problem. It seems that at the speed required to negotiate these the poor little chap cannot decide which gear to be in! I therefore find it easier for me change gear manually for this operation.
Overall the car, for a supposedly "city car" copes very well with longer trips. Refinement is very good as is the space inside. At times a little underpowered but when you consider the running costs I am very happy with this car.
Gambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 8:10pm
I have ordered a VW High Up ASG, but I didn't pick up the concerns (and some appalling reviews) that are out there. I take some solace from some of the comments above that it is not that bad!
minimax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 8:55pm
If anybody here shares my antiquity, there was an automatic (four speed, no less,) version of the BMC Mini back in the 1960s that, while it was expensive to make and not fantastically economical was also smooth and pleasant to drive, so it can be done.
For those of a mechanical bent, the link is worth your time.

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-105/index.html

Edited by minimax - 17 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
up! to mischief
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 6:57am
Originally posted by minimax minimax wrote:

If anybody here shares my antiquity, ... For those of a mechanical bent, the link is worth your time.  
http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-105/index.html
Fabulous - thank you!  
My local Suzuki Service manager told me that the reason all city cars have this ASG auto box (or whatever each manufacturer calls it - the up!, the new Celereo and Ignis) is because of its comparative light weight, now that CO2 has become the critical factor.
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 7:10am
Originally posted by ianlg ianlg wrote:

Bought a VW Up last week with ASG transmission (high up). Not as smooth to drive like other automatics out there, a bit slow to change gear ......
Does yours have Stop/Start? -  now standard on all new cars it seems. 
I note the comment in this weekend's review of the new POLO.  On the Polo DSG he drove: " ... the horrible delay ... as the engine deigns to restart ..."  as one tries to make a quick pull away at a busy roundabout.

I've found this with my DSG on the Polo; so what must it be like with the ASG box?  Answer seems to be (according to my brother who has a 2013 Jaguar XJ) is to press the stop/start OFF button every time as part of the engine starting procedure.
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
proud_darcy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proud_darcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 11:52am
The opel easytronic ASG electronics only add about 3kg to the weight of the manual boxes to which it is fitted.
3kg costs nothing in CO2 and the automated transmission should be selecting the perfect change point more often than a human reducing CO2 extensions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic