FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Cancelling an order

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scotby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cancelling an order
    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:45am
I have a GTI 5dr on order from the same dealer I bought my 4 year old High Up! from.

The order for the new car was placed at the beginning of February, and I was told I was the first customer to order the GTI from this dealer in Kent.

I was initially given a build week of 33, now it's 35. When checking the status of the order on the VW site, it's still "with the factory".

It's got to the point where I don't think the car is going to arrive until the latter half of August, and I'm contemplating cancelling the order.

The question to the forum is, has anyone cancelled an order and been able to get their deposit returned from the dealer? I really don't want to waste £500 due to my impatience.

Suzuki Swift Sport available for pretty much immediate delivery would likely be the recipient of my hard earned.
Sponsored Links

whats up View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
I've not cancelled an order but several forum members have cancelled their GTI orders and had their deposits returned without any problems.  I think its because demand is so high that the dealers know that they will have no trouble finding replacement buyers.
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
Scotby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:03am
Ok. Thanks for the feedback.
rampower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rampower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:46pm
Talked to my dealer today and the have no problems cancelling my order, test driving new cars at the moment.

Stupidly enough I am grateful now that VW have been so 'fair' with their ordering system.

I can go out and something cheaper and save some money, to go to work in, none of the options I am looking at will compare to my SLC, so life goes on!

but anyways, no problems returning deposit.
2017 Mercedes SLC and public transport. ( black up gti ordered with eternal wait FOC)
c87reed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c87reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:48pm
Hi, 

I placed an order for an Up GTI with a dealer in the NE in April. I put my name against one of their 'ordered' cars. They had chosen the spec. I asked them if I could cancel today and they said that I could but that there was a 'detagging' fee imposed by VW resulting in a fee of £500. They said that I would therefore lose the entirety of my £400 deposit.

Anybody heard of such a thing?

Chris
shakotanVIP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakotanVIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by c87reed c87reed wrote:

Hi, 

I placed an order for an Up GTI with a dealer in the NE in April. I put my name against one of their 'ordered' cars. They had chosen the spec. I asked them if I could cancel today and they said that I could but that there was a 'detagging' fee imposed by VW resulting in a fee of £500. They said that I would therefore lose the entirety of my £400 deposit.

Anybody heard of such a thing?

Chris

Chris,

I would guess it depends on your reason for cancellation. If they had told you that your delivery date had been continually pushed back, they would most likely be more accommodating regarding returning the deposit. However, if you've just 'changed your mind', then the dealer has no obligation to return your deposit.
VW up! GTI incoming, 3-door, Tungsten Silver, "beats" audio upgrade
wigit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm
You should get your deposit back, its not as if the dealer are not going to sell this given the wait

I had a deposit with BMW for a M2 Competition who were a tad slow in retuning that but got there in the end.
Up! GTI - Golf R - M2
c87reed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c87reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:10pm
Their stance was that they know that they will sell it on really easily given the waiting list but that it is VW who impose this 'detagging' fee when an individual's name is removed from a car. It's just strange that others haven't come across the same predicament. It's just annoying as I didn't expect there to be any losses as there had been no mention of such a fee at any point previously. They already had the car on order anyway before I arrived on the scene.

Edited by c87reed - 12 Jun 2018 at 5:11pm
wellfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by c87reed c87reed wrote:

Their stance was that they know that they will sell it on really easily given the waiting list but that it is VW who impose this 'detagging' fee when an individual's name is removed from a car. It's just strange that others haven't come across the same predicament. It's just annoying as I didn't expect there to be any losses as there had been no mention of such a fee at any point previously. They already had the car on order anyway before I arrived on the scene.

They are just seriously taking the piss, and taking 500 quid in the process of taking the piss. Sorry, but I never leave a deposit of more than 50 quid for a car, and generally leave zero deposit. If it does not suit them, then I will go elsewhere.
You need to check your order form n great detail, as they have probably got you by the short and curlies. Bar Stewards.
c87reed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c87reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:57pm
Basically, it gives the reasons that would allow me to cancel the contract. Anything outside of that equals loos of the deposit in so many words. It seems like I'm the only one whose been asked to pay it based on others who've cancelled their orders. I had been considering the purchase of a pre-reg MINI Cooper instead but that won't be happening as I would have needed the deposit beforehand. Don't get me wrong the Up GTI will be a great car - it's just the waiting bit.

Edited by c87reed - 12 Jun 2018 at 11:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic