FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

How long will an Up last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jimlad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Leif Leif wrote:

Originally posted by Jimlad Jimlad wrote:

I always operate on a buy at 2 years old, replace at 7 years old policy (so keep cars for 5 yrs). I think its the sweet spot in value for money. A true yorkshireman would NEVER buy new

I think you are right about the sweet spot. I guess you have to check the service history, and make sure it's not had lots of issues, and it's been serviced.

Oh yes always full service history. But cars are still under warranty at that age so anything major wrong is covered.
Sponsored Links

Ahmed.Bossman View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahmed.Bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:54pm
before i wrote off my 2012 Up!, it was on about 70k. i had done about 30k in the 18months of my ownership. apart from the brake discs, everything else was as from factory. same clutch, same belt, same engine and gearbox etc, same water pump, the lot of it.

i was doing oil and filters change at every 4-5k miles, just for my own reassurance, also i was often redlining and driving the car hard then.... never really cost me anything. did burn the slightest bit of oil but given the amount of mileage i was doing, it really was nothing. also considering how ofen the oil and filter were being replaced, it genuinly didnt really move, only if i didnt service you would actually notice the oil come down a mm or so but for the mileage its nothing...

there never was any knocks, bangs or rattles and drive was perfect. i did replace the rear springs and shock and tyres, but they were only due the use and wear and tear of the car being used so much.

i never really ever have any issues with my Up! and although i was going to consider replacing the belt and water pump, i wrote it off before it happening, but there was never any tell tell signs that they needed replacing.

the only things my car actually costed me was tyres, brakes pads and springs otherwise nothing in reality.

if you keep ontop of the maintenance, you wont feel the costs overtime, however, if you leave things to dwell, and decide to chang things all in one go, you will really notice the costs, wich is when people think its nothing econiomical/ efficient to keep the car etc..

also 70% of the time i buy cars privately, not only do you save a fraction of the cost compared to the dealership price, but that same money you save, you can throw back at the car and spend should anything require to be replaced, without really feeling out of pocket... as a used car, regardless if its private or from a dealer, you are going to have to spend some money on it anyway unless its new ofcourse...

most of the general mainteneance and servicing on the Up! is very simple indid and you can even DIY and save more money there.

Ahmed Bossman - '98 Green & a '98 Red Nissan Primera P11 GT
                           - Blue 3dr Move Up!
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:30pm

Thanks all, I'm coming to the conclusion that I should replace the Up in the next 6 months, with an Up TSI or a Polo SE TSI.

My only concern, if I did the mileage you do, would be how long the turbo would last and also the effect of that boost pressure on engine life. I know turbos etc are well tested these days but, in small passenger cars, I can't help thinking they will go bang before 130k. A turbo that malfunctions could, potentially, make a car with a higher mileage uneconomic to repair. 
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
Leif View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by luckyjimmy luckyjimmy wrote:

Thanks all, I'm coming to the conclusion that I should replace the Up in the next 6 months, with an Up TSI or a Polo SE TSI.

My only concern, if I did the mileage you do, would be how long the turbo would last and also the effect of that boost pressure on engine life. I know turbos etc are well tested these days but, in small passenger cars, I can't help thinking they will go bang before 130k. A turbo that malfunctions could, potentially, make a car with a higher mileage uneconomic to repair. 

High mileage drivers tend to buy deisels and they usually have a turbo. Most are okay, there have been some known issues with some engines. As for the boost pressure, I can only trust that VW have done their homework. They do have lots of experience with turbo boosted engines. Obviously it's another part that can go wrong, and an expensive one.
http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:17pm
Imho diesels are now far too complex and fragile due to the power/economy/emission conundrum. Their days are numbered and I'm not on about all the NOX emission stuff.
Petrol turbo engines are perfectly capable of big miles if they're looked after. Regular, maybe shorter than manufactures recommendations, oil changes. With high quality oil.
Never thrashing them before the oil gets up to temperature. That means <3k rpm, light throttle and no high gear labouring.
If you do give them a good thrashing, allow them to cool down before turning them off. Some have electric coolant pumps to continue circulating coolant after you turn them off. I doubt the UP, being a comparatively cheap car, has such s feature.
A bigger concern to myself will be the carbon build up due to the direct injection and the egr. Something I hadn't considered until someone mentioned it on here
Any car can last indefinitely if you're prepared to put in the effort of preventative maintenance beyond the basic manufactures service schedule.
Ahmed.Bossman View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahmed.Bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Ed463 Ed463 wrote:

Imho diesels are now far too complex and fragile due to the power/economy/emission conundrum. Their days are numbered and I'm not on about all the NOX emission stuff.
Petrol turbo engines are perfectly capable of big miles if they're looked after. Regular, maybe shorter than manufactures recommendations, oil changes. With high quality oil.
Never thrashing them before the oil gets up to temperature. That means <3k rpm, light throttle and no high gear labouring.
If you do give them a good thrashing, allow them to cool down before turning them off. Some have electric coolant pumps to continue circulating coolant after you turn them off. I doubt the UP, being a comparatively cheap car, has such s feature.
A bigger concern to myself will be the carbon build up due to the direct injection and the egr. Something I hadn't considered until someone mentioned it on here
Any car can last indefinitely if you're prepared to put in the effort of preventative maintenance beyond the basic manufactures service schedule.

said it before i couldLOL
i couldnt put it any better. but you spelt it out spot on.
Ahmed Bossman - '98 Green & a '98 Red Nissan Primera P11 GT
                           - Blue 3dr Move Up!
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
Good advice Ed - many unenlightened drivers of cars equipped with turbos just turn off and walk away! This is not a problem if they intend to trade in the car when their 3 year PCP deal ends.

I do like the way turbo charged cars drive though and have fond memories of time spent in a Fiesta RS Turbo. It had hilarious amounts of turbo lag but was great fun and, at the time, seemed extremely fast.

One thing to keep in mind is that repairs on older cars, even replacing big ticket items, can be cheaper than a year of car payments. To me it would be the frequency and inconvenience of the repairs that would make me consider buying something newer.
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
Giff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:36pm
The Up doesn't have direct fuel injection, one less thing to worry about..
whats up View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Giff Giff wrote:

The Up doesn't have direct fuel injection, one less thing to worry about..

the turbocharged TSI and GTI engines do have direct fuel injection....

Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:41am
Mine has 188000 I'm with no problems. Just keep it until it's dead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic