FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

How much fuel have you been able to cram in?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FriendlySaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FriendlySaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much fuel have you been able to cram in?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:57pm
I just did my first fill-up since receiving my car (the dealership had filled the tank to about 3/4)... I basically drove it until the needle touched the bottom "I am now completely empty, find a petrol station you idiot" line.

It took 37 litres of unleaded... so where does the extra 2L go? Is the tank actually bigger than 35L, or did the attendant fill up the neck as well?

Orrrr... is the gauge on the petrol pump set to deceive?

Ta!
Rhianne
Sponsored Links

uphu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uphu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by FriendlySaffer FriendlySaffer wrote:

Orrrr... is the gauge on the petrol pump set to deceive?
As it was discussed on this forum, the gauge is badly designed.  The gauge does not even move on the first 100 kms, but when it reaches the last quarter then the fuel is enough for less than 100 kms. VW quality. Thumbs Down

Edited by uphu - 08 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
EMMHMMS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMMHMMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:11pm
My record is filling it up with 43.96 L. I was able to get in 9.78L after the pump stopped the first time.
First guess was that the pump was broken and measured wrong but when I did 836 km on that tank I did some research and found out there is a chamber(s) where the fumes are supposed to go but you can fill that chamber with fuel if you are really patient. It's not recommended though.

How long have you driven after trip computer said 0 km left? I have done 41 km with an average consumption of 5L/100km so I used about 2 L after trip computer said 0. Don't have any spare fuel with me so not gonna push if anymore :P

Edited by EMMHMMS - 08 Jan 2018 at 6:19pm
My Up! http://imgur.com/a/KPnlk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FriendlySaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 6:42am
No fancy schmancy trip kipuders on my Up :(
The needle hit bottom and I pulled into a service station. Will be interesting to see what I get out of my first full tank.
Charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:18pm
The Lupo had a little lever in the fuel filler, you could push it with the filler spout when the pump knocked off at 'full' , air would rush out, and you could get another gallon or so in.

Edited by Charles - 20 Jan 2018 at 10:19pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FriendlySaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:57pm
So I managed 703km on my first tank, which took again took 37 this time. So that works out to roughly 5.2l per 100km. That's a mix of freeway and city driving, perhaps 60% freeway. The commute traffic is now back to its shirty normal post-holiday self, we'll see what I get!

I was expecting better economy tbh, but it's rather good isnt it and it's the most eco friendly car I've owned.

The dash fuel gauge is a shameful piece of engineering. It's a joke. It falls from 3/4 to empty within 250km.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic