FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Jammed rear Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zlig123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zlig123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jammed rear Brakes
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:14am
Hi all. Drove my Up in the rain a few days ago and parked it in the garage. Went to take it out this morning and the rear brakes are totally seized. The car won't move neither back or forward. Unfortunately garage is two floors below street level so getting a tow truck in there is nigh on impossible. Beginning to deeply regret buying a VW as I understand this is an issue with the UP. I thought I was buying quality. Angry
Sponsored Links

Rav3177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rav3177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:59am
Don't pussyfoot around just give the car some welly and the brakes will free off ok.
Zlig123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zlig123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:46pm
Believe me I did. I drove out 5 feet forwards and 5 back. Any more and I'll burn out the clutch, it's an automatic 😕
Rav3177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rav3177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:08pm
Been better it will be fine.
Zlig123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zlig123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:21pm
Mechanic coming tomorrow. Let's hope he can loosen the blasted things so I can drive it to the dealership.
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
This seems to be a common problem and my own car suffers from this 'trait'. I now, where possible, just leave the car in gear and only lightly pull on the handbrake (a couple of clicks). In my level driveway, I don't engadge the handbrake at all...

Perhaps the salty sea air in Malta exacerbates the issue, when the rear shoes get wet.
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
Zlig123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zlig123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:06pm
Hi all and thank you for your advice. Mechanic came over, took the wheels off and gave the drums a hard tap with a mallet which finally freed them. I then took the car for a long drive, occasionally gently lifting the handbrake a couple of times to remove any residual corrosion. I will avoid driving in wet conditions (ridiculous to own a car that I can't enjoy in the rain) and park with the handbrake on two clicks.
ospreywatcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:39pm
AA mechanic advised me to always reverse 6 inches or so when moving off after parked all night as it seems to free sticky brakes shoes without that 'clunk'
High up! Tungsten Silver - Grey/beech polkadot
mikew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:44pm
Had this happen to me a few times when i had a Citigo. Usually managed to get it free myself. Had to call a mechanic once, he just bashed the wheel with a hammer and it released ok.

These days i never use the handbreak if i've been driving through standing water, just leave it in gear
JenUPfanatico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenUPfanatico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by ospreywatcher ospreywatcher wrote:

AA mechanic advised me to always reverse 6 inches or so when moving off after parked all night as it seems to free sticky brakes shoes without that 'clunk'
Not sure how the mechanism is put together in the UP, but if you reverse with the handbrake off and the pads stuck to the drum, you can hear what sounds like spring flexing from the back of the car. It definitely sounds 'better' when they free off with the car moving forward. If I was a betting person, I'd say there is some compatibility issue with the metals in the drum/pad combination used. The rear end of my car was seized nearly every morning last winter, I just left it parked in gear on a flat drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic