FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Just bought a VW Up! Beats (Scammed by dealer?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bobw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm
More cost saving tactics by VW. Making the customer pay for the phone cradle and deleting the tsi badge. Probably saves them 5 Euros a car. Mind you, they've got to find the cash for the US Dieselgate compensation from somewhere....

My High Up! Tsi was a factory build, delivered in July 2017. It came with the phone cradle and the tsi badge, but no floor mats. I haggled with the dealer for the 'luxury' mats for the price of the ordinary ones. The 'luxury' ones aren't great, so I dread to think what the ordinary one are like.

Edited by Bobw - 02 Jun 2018 at 8:13am
Sponsored Links

bramley911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bramley911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:33pm
I would also like a TSI badge, though I have only found one silver one on ebay, the rest are silver and red which aren't for the up.
PhilDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 8:46am
Right on the money.
There was an American author called Arthur Hayley who wrote big blockbuster novels in the seventies about different industries. 
"Wheels" was about the Detroit car industry and I remember there was a big argument between the design engineers and the accountants about the price of a particular part to be fitted on a new model.
The engineers wanted a higher quality spec which the said would cost a maximum of a couple of dollars extra but was well worth it.
The accountants however replied "maybe so but we plan to build 20 million of this model"
Guess who won.  
High UP! TSI 2018
David Wright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Bobw Bobw wrote:

More cost saving tactics by VW. Making the customer pay for the phone cradle and deleting the tsi badge. Probably saves them 5 Euros a car.

The phone cradle will gain them £150 a car.  But at what cost in customer dissatisfaction?  The price is ridiculous and the fact that its not standard on the High Up (mine came with a satnav unit as standard) or GTI is staggering.

Having worked in manufacturing, the deletion of the TSI badge is probably more related to production line streamlining.  The fewer variations the better when it comes to assembly lines.  I noticed they dropped the body colour VW badge at the front of the car with the facelift and went for a black one.  Not only will they save the extra cost of the colour coded badge, but they will reduce the different parts they have deal with from say 10 to 1 and if its the same badge as goes on the back then it simplifies things even more.  And of course no need to make sure you have the right number of say red badges to match the number of red cars you are making.
3 door July 16 VW High Up!
lupogtiboy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lupogtiboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:32am
From your chassis number, this is definitely a TSI 90bhp version. According to the PR-Codes, it should have a TSI badge on the back, if you want one the part number is 1S6 853 675 B FXC (£23.22 inc vat). It should have come with the phone holder, so I'd definitely go and get that as its £150 from VW, and it should have floor mats front and rear too.
2003 Lupo GTI (Kaiya) and 2012 High Up! (Uma)
www.driftbridge.co.uk
Bobw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by David Wright David Wright wrote:

Originally posted by Bobw Bobw wrote:

More cost saving tactics by VW. Making the customer pay for the phone cradle and deleting the tsi badge. Probably saves them 5 Euros a car.

The phone cradle will gain them £150 a car.  But at what cost in customer dissatisfaction?  The price is ridiculous and the fact that its not standard on the High Up (mine came with a satnav unit as standard) or GTI is staggering.

Having worked in manufacturing, the deletion of the TSI badge is probably more related to production line streamlining.  The fewer variations the better when it comes to assembly lines.  I noticed they dropped the body colour VW badge at the front of the car with the facelift and went for a black one.  Not only will they save the extra cost of the colour coded badge, but they will reduce the different parts they have deal with from say 10 to 1 and if its the same badge as goes on the back then it simplifies things even more.  And of course no need to make sure you have the right number of say red badges to match the number of red cars you are making.

Agreed. I too spent a career in engineering and manufacturing. The drive to reduce costs has become all consuming, whether it is reduction in variation, reduction in material costs or reduction in labour costs. A friend of my nephew works for Bentley in Crewe and he reckons that the cost reduction pressure throughout the VW group is immense at the moment.

Edited by Bobw - 03 Jun 2018 at 10:19pm
911ts3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911ts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 7:43pm
My November 17 Tsi High Up has a Tsi badge on the rear. My wife's April 2018 High Up Tsi doesn't have one. Rang the dealer and they don't fit them any more.
Both had mats fitted as standard.
I didn't notice the lack of Tsi badge on the handover, otherwise one way or another I'd have weedled one out of them. I bought a gen VW one off Ebay from a private seller for 9.99.

Edited by 911ts3 - 05 Jun 2018 at 7:43pm
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 18 Plate 5 Door 90 bhp High Up Tsi in Costa Azule,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.
whats up View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:07am
I think they stopped putting the TSI badges on at the same time as the GTI came out. Perhaps they only have a limited badge making budget. 
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
Jimlad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:21am
I think i would rather have no TSI badge to be honest. Why do you need to advertise the fact that you have a turbo? Isn't it better to take people by surprise at the traffic light grand prix?

Edited by Jimlad - 07 Jun 2018 at 9:21am
shakotanVIP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakotanVIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm
I think 'scammed' is a somewhat strong term to use, you got the car which you ordered and weren't left our of pocket, however it would appear that you are missing the mats and phone holder which should have come as standard.

What has the dealership said when you approached them regarding this?
VW up! GTI incoming, 3-door, Tungsten Silver, "beats" audio upgrade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic