FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Mark1 Up! Vs Mark 2 Up!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
grosdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grosdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark1 Up! Vs Mark 2 Up!
    Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:50am
Hi All,
I have had a bad experience with a 63 plate Mark 1 / Old VW Up! (reverse gear issue, issues with gears, failed aircon and lots of other niggles etc). This is after owning a VW Polo for 15 x years which never missed a beat or an MOT!
It is a shame as it is, otherwise, a nice car.

Frankly, I am considering just spending the additional money and getting myself a Mark 2 hoping that all these niggles (I understand it has a better gear box for instance) have been resolved. 
Can anyone concur with me that the Mark 2 is better before I spend an extra £3K?
Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links

jimv50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimv50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:05pm
For 3k getting a new car would my preferred option in this case, I have a 14 plate Up! and have had no problems whatsoever, maybe I must be lucky. I don't like the dashboard in the new car so I'm keeping mine for the next few years and then the daughter can learn to drive in it.
I did have a very good look at the Hyundai i10, a much better car and dealer service overall than the Up!, you may get a good deal on one of those as well.
The glass is not half full or half empty....the glass is too big
martinh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:49pm
Ive had a mk1 Up for 5 years, my partner has a new generation Hyundai i10 which I drive more than I do my Up. The new i10 is a very good car indeed with a very good Dealer that cant do enough for the customer. If I was buying new again I might not buy an Up again as I would probably go for a Hyundai i10, its an excellent car with better customer service + a 5 year warranty.
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by martinh martinh wrote:

The new i10 is a very good car indeed with a very good Dealer that can't do enough for the customer. If I was buying new again I might not buy an Up again as I would probably go for a Hyundai i10, its an excellent car with better customer service + a 5 year warranty.
Dealer proximity can be a very decisive factor. Hyundai are miles from us but our VW dealership is within reasonable walking distance and customer relations are excellent.  Indeed, as I have posted elsewhere on this Forum, one service guy has openly said "I work for VW but I'm an unashamed fan of Japanese cars" (we were talking about the new Suzuki Ignis at the time).   As a company cars driver (a fleet of around 50 leased cars) I know from colleagues that the VWs were only average for reliability.   Over 29 years I had Ford, Vauxhall and finally three Skoda Octavias (each L&K trim = top of the range).  All three Octavias had one or more problems and they were ALL electrical.
Would I buy another Up! ?  On principle, NO ... not until they 
a) add a third seat belt in the back.  Our 13 year old Suzuki Wagon R can safely fit a child/small adult in at the back yet overall it's narrower than the Up! (Wagon R is 1620mm wide, the Up! is 1645mm)   
b) illuminated switches on the doors 
c) eliminate rear brake drums/shoe sticking by using discs (as they've done on Polo)
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:19am
Having had three VWs (two Ups and a Golf) I've been a bit disappointed by the quality of these cars. The Golf was the best built but had a gearbox issue and the Ups have had various small but annoying issues.

I  would be tempted to go for the 90bhp Up the next time I renew my car but there are so many great small cars around making the decision to stick with VW more difficult. I like the new Suzuki Ignis for example and there is even a 4x4 version. Also, the new Suzuki Swift (automatic version for me) gets great reviews.
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
grosdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grosdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 3:17pm
Thank you for your feedback. Your opinion is in line with other opinions I heard. Out of interest what were the niggling issues with your 2 x Up!s...I have had major gearbox issues with 1st and reverse which made for some interesting manoeuvres to get out of my driveway...
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:12pm
My 2012 Up windscreen was not sealed properly at the factory, resulting in squelching carpets (this took the garage a week to fix). It had warped brake disks at 20k miles and a broken exhaust heat shield. Also, the paint colour of the flap covering the fuel filler cap did not match the body colour (my dealer maintained it was the correct colour!).

My 2016 Up seems better built than the older car but has, at the time of writing, a clicking clutch pedal. The car has newly developed a 'clonking' sound at the rear when going slowly over rough roads (I initially thought there was something amiss with the exhaust). There are also a number of rattles inside the cabin which should not be present in a year old car. 

In general these issues have not prevented me getting around and some of them are just annoyances rather than full blown defects. However, like many others, I've bough in to VW marketing by expecting to be supplied with a quality product. Alas, after spending quite a bit of money, I'm beginning to suspect VW's marketing does not quite match reality. I do like driving my car little Up though but would I buy another VW? Difficult to answer that one...
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
whats up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:07pm
 I've always been impressed by German build quality but I've now learned that my UP! wasn't built in Germany but in the former Skoda factory in Slovakia. I know this shouldn't make any difference but maybe it does.      
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic