FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Move Up! Vs fiat 500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katieranstead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katieranstead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move Up! Vs fiat 500
    Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:14am
I recently bought a 62 plate move up and I love it! I previously had a fiat 500 which I loved but sadly it was written off😢I went for the up because of vw's good reputation and I'm so glad I did. Although the interior isn't as 'pretty' as the fiat it is 100 times easier to drive, I find it really smooth and easy to change gear and love driving around in it. I wouldn't go back to another fiat now! The mpg is brilliant, I average about 60 whereas before I only got around 45. I love the maps and more, although the fiat had a navigation system i did not find it as good and the plug in point did restrict my view sometimes whereas the one in the up is in a perfect position. I would totally recommend the up to anyone who is considering one, you won't look back😅I thought that maybe the smaller engine would feel different as my fiat was a 1.2 but actually the up is much quicker to pull off and can still very comfortably cope with motorway speeds.
Sponsored Links

Ahmed.Bossman View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahmed.Bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:36am
hi and welcome,

looks like you made the right decision! Thumbs Up

Ahmed Bossman - '98 Green & a '98 Red Nissan Primera P11 GT
                           - Candy White 3dr Take Up!
Certus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:42pm
Hi,

I replaced my much loved Fiat Panda with a new Move Up! in March and haven't had a moments regret.

The Panda was great, but I wasn't too keen on the 'Facelifted' model, so opted for the Up! when looking for a replacement. The Panda was bought when I first retired six years ago and replaced in March of this year. Given the relatively low mileage I do these days, I can see the Up! remaining with me for the remainder of my driving career.

Regards
Brian

Ed463 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 1:44pm
It's an interesting comparison, given VW's perceived Germanic premium brand quality and Fiat's, well non premium brand

I had a 2014 500S (looks like an Abarth but minus the go :-) ). To be honest the Fiat out does the UP! in certain areas. Paint quality better, interior a far nicer place to sit. Mpg, fiat better than my TSI UP but it was a bit of a slug. Heating/ventilation, Fiat better. Overall build quality imho nothing in it.

However, the important bits. Ride / handling. The UP is light years ahead. Packaging so much better but then the UP doesn't have the retro styling. Performance, just love the TSI but compared to the 60 and 75bhp Ups there's nothing much in it.
wellfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 3:16pm
My wife had a Fiat 500 Twinair prior to the car before the UP! It had a fantastic turbo charged two cylinder engine that went like the clappers, but at the expense of fuel consumption. The Fiat, like every other Fiat we have owned beforehand (in excess of a dozen), was plagued with faults, this 500 being the worst by far. I could write a book about my car buying experiences, and Fiat would take up half of the chapters!!
Suffice to say, the UP! feels like a better built car, but not as much fun to drive as the Fiat. However, give me the UP! any day over the Fiat.
katieranstead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katieranstead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 9:21pm
Yes we had problems with the fiat as well, however so far this up has been brilliant! The only thing I would say is that sometimes on the motorway I felt that the fiat felt a little sturdier and the up seems to be affected by the wind a bit more but yes I would definitely go for the up over the fiat all day long!
Ed463 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 9:30pm
We had 2 500's (a his n hers, cheesy or what:-) ) mine did about 30k miles, my wife's 10k ish. Neither missed a beat.
Previous to that I had an Alfa Giulietta (a Fiat product) did about 65k in 2 years, again never missed a beat. Probably my favourite car in recent years. Well it was until I sold it, pretty nasty depreciation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic