FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

My journey Up! here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rough View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My journey Up! here
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:08am
My ageing 2006 Passat 2.0 FSI was in need to get some fixes here and there, but now having on-street parking only I felt that going to garages is no longer economically wise (remember having garage pit in my childhood - now just a dream), especially that this car has been in serious collision twice and nearly written off, although I must admit it has excellent paint work on 3 sides - as result of being painted on numerous occasions. I believe saloons are the perfect shape for any car (inferior only to 2-door coupe's) I decided it was finally a time for a new car. 

Having considered straight replacement - a new Passat, I though about the purpose of such car, and it's size that facilitates such use. Where I live big cars are rather a bad idea unless you have own drive at least, so naturally I though about something smaller. Almost went with Polo last year as the local dealer had a good deal on them just before next gen introduction, but I wanted to see what's next is coming in it's class. Had a look and drive of new (back then) Ibiza, and was impressed with styling, but at the same time had a look at Fabia, and then got curious about nearby Citigo. Meanwhile had a curiosity tour around 108, which looks nice on the outside but its too spartan on the inside (props for projector headlights). The Citigo seemed just right - spacious, massive doors, small engine (perhaps too small for my liking), and compared to e.g. Ibiza, while inferior in many aspects, it felt just as spacious, and then I though "wasn't there a VW version of this?". So started looking at the options, seen the GTI on the horizon, but liked the Beats styling as I like to pretend I am still young and was always intrigued why there are no god audio options in small and cheap cars. It started with this picture:

I was quite lost as I seen both front bumpers 2 different wheels on the promo shots, I though these must be pre and post face lift - I didn't realise it was a TSI thing and UK doesn't get 16" rims. So after some time in the configurator, I drove the 60 ps version, and was expecting it to be awful (coming from ~110ps/Tonne to ~60ps/Tonne) but it passed my murderous cliff road test surprisingly ok so I though, well, with 90% of the roads here with 30 mph limit this shall suffice. Next inquired about ordering and production times, and I was ready to place an order. Had my configuration ready and had to wait 3 months, after which I would trade in my ageing Passat. Along the way I added shed loads of options, all of them in fact except one, and I now regret not adding this cruise pack as it comes with nicer cluster display too. Meanwhile started reading this forum, watching assembly line videos, just like any other future Up! owner would do. With mixed experience with the VW tracker and never ending wait (I fell sorry for you, GTI people) it finally arrived, and will be collecting it tomorrow:

I must say that for the past week I've been driving Seat Leon FR in the Europe, and coming back to Passat reiterated the need to change, it felt so old and clumsy in comparison - so I hope the Up! will live up to it's potential and provide as much fun as it promises.

To be continued.
Sponsored Links

David Wright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:12pm
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

In 2015 I remember watching the Goodwood Festival of Speed on TV and as a very exotic car raced up the course the commentator said that the driver had been raving to him about his VW Up.  This was one factor which influenced my choice a year later.  I replaced a much loved Mini Cooper with an Up and although it is much less powerful and doesn't handle quite so well I just love driving it and I don't regret my choice at all.  

Edited by David Wright - 17 May 2018 at 1:12pm
3 door July 16 VW High Up!
Rough View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 1:26pm
It's been around a month since collection:

Overall impression very good - quality is nice, and it feels solid. Sound is great, and the whole thing feels very airy and bright. Handles well as it's so much easier to park than sedan. Seats are nice, no discomfort in city commute. Average MPG is 35 or so - city use only.

On the down side I wish I've opted for multifunctional computer as otherwise half of steering wheel buttons are useless. Also the engine feels fragile, and perhaps it is (60ps!). Light output was poor as they use long life bulbs as stands. Seats sliding mechanism I don't understand - there two levers one on each side, but i end up changing seat inclination every time I access the rear. Also the lack of streaming services integration in the app is bit disappointing. Also I can't change miles to km/h and mpg to l/km.

Changes so far:
Added Osram Cool Blue Intense for both driving and fog lights.
Added dash cam front (mirror) and rear (inside tail gate)
Programmed couple options using OBD eleven, particularly happy with drl's lighting up the rear cluster (as it should be!).

Edited by Rough - 24 Jun 2018 at 1:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic