FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

My quick review of the Up GTI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My quick review of the Up GTI
    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 5:58pm
My first impressions   http://www.arthurlea.com/Stories/Up/index.htm
Sponsored Links

whats up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:57pm
 Excellent review. Are you a professional journalist?  If you're not, you should be...   
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
John H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by whats up whats up wrote:

Excellent review. Are you a professional journalist?  If you're not, you should be...   

Thank you for the compliment, and no I'm not a professional. I did however used to write freelance and for a few years was the motorcycle correspondent to "The Scotsman" newspaper. More recently I have dabbled with a few magazine articles about cars, and I still like to write just for the hell of it. I have cobbled together some of my stuff on a wee personal website, you are welcome to have a browse http://www.arthurlea.com/storyindex.htm

Cheers
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:40pm
I like your CRX write up. I've not driven one but have driven an Integra around Silverstone and had an Accord Type R for a while. Beautifully engineered, very different to any German car. Despite its raucous Vtec nature it had far more finesse. But not the easiest car to live with on a daily basis. It needed to "driven" before it came alive.
Just wish I'd kept it, it was immaculate and unmolested when I sold it for pennies!

Edited by Ed463 - 06 Feb 2018 at 10:42pm
John H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:06am
Ah Honda ... how I miss them! We had a string of about 14 Hondas back in the 80's (CRX's, Civics, Preludes) and they were fantastic cars. Then somewhere in the 90's Honda deliberately abandoned their engineering led cars in favour of simpler cars chasing market share, and now they make some of dullest and ugliest cars imaginable. 
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:24am
Originally posted by John H John H wrote:

Ah Honda ... how I miss them! We had a string of about 14 Hondas back in the 80's (CRX's, Civics, Preludes) and they were fantastic cars. Then somewhere in the 90's Honda deliberately abandoned their engineering led cars in favour of simpler cars chasing market share, and now they make some of dullest and ugliest cars imaginable. 

True I'm afraid. The Civic Type R maybe fast but looks like a 19yr old has gone mad with a demon tweaks catalogue.
Saab ended up the same (for different reasons), I had a 99, amazing car when you think the Brits were still churning out Morris Marina's
We've all been "assimilated"

Edited by Ed463 - 07 Feb 2018 at 8:25am
John H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:47am
Porsche are in danger of going the same way, abandoning sports cars to make big profits from selling over the top SUV's. But who can blame them, they've got to make what sells, and traditional sports cars are a minority market these days.  
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:07am
I know we're well and truly off topic now, but what the hell.
I'm sure there's big bucks to be made from flogging thousands of re engineered Audi Q7's but I'm baffled by the trend for ever bigger suv's (and I've got a G Wagen :) ) completely useless/unnecessary ego things on UK roads. I struggle fitting the UP into some parking slots. Maybe I need to start using two? :-) They can't even deal with a bit if damp grass off road. Rant over:-)
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:16am
A nice review of the GTi - thanks for posting it. I'm very tempted to go and have a test drive myself now, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I will have to leave all credit, debit cards and cash at home so there is no possibility I can put a deposit down on one! LOL
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
John H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by luckyjimmy luckyjimmy wrote:

A nice review of the GTi - thanks for posting it. I'm very tempted to go and have a test drive myself now, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I will have to leave all credit, debit cards and cash at home so there is no possibility I can put a deposit down on one! LOL

Wise. It's an infectious little varmint! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic