FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Polo Back To UP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Leif View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Ed463 Ed463 wrote:

Originally posted by Derkie54 Derkie54 wrote:

My Polo has a bigger car feel and with the wheel arch liners and added insulation it is quieter.
It has a larger touchscreen and 5 seat belts (as opposed to 4 in the up).
It has discs brakes all round (the Up has drums at the rear) and 4 electrically operated windows and LED headlights.

I remember my Up feeling almost as big as the Polo (up to it's max of 4 people) and also there was a bit more road noise due to the lack of wheel arch liners. You could hear the engine more (but's it's not a bad sound and wasn't a problem for me).

I enjoyed driving the UP more and now you can get a TSI Up the performance would be better (mainly starting from a stand still on hills was my issue) 

So if I walked in to the showroom which one would I buy :
A TSI UP would cost me around £13000
My current SEL would cost around £19000

Is my SEL Polo worth an extra £6000 ..........well it might be but as I don't really need 5 seats and as the UP TSI has the Polo gearbox (my earlier UP gearbox used to crunch when selecting reverse and felt fragile) I think I personally would buy another UP.

I would imagine you'd get a far better deal on a TSI UP compared to a new model Polo. 
We got our High UP TSI with a few options for less than £10.5k. 
It's quite refined, quick enough and very practical for 2 people.

How did you get it for such a good price, I'm assuming it was new? The list price is currently £12,395 for the 3 door.

The Polo SE TSI is £15,930, so an increase of about £3,600 on the list price compared to the Up.

Drive The Deal so good prices, although you have to add on £500 to the quote if you do not take the financing package.
http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Sponsored Links

Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Leif Leif wrote:

My Polo has a bigger car feel and with the wheel arch liners and added insulation it is quieter.
It has discs brakes all round (the Up has drums at the rear) and 4 electrically operated windows and LED headlights.

I remember my Up feeling almost as big as the Polo (up to it's max of 4 people) and also there was a bit more road noise due to the lack of wheel arch liners. You could hear the engine more (but's it's not a bad sound and wasn't a problem for me).

I enjoyed driving the UP more and now you can get a TSI Up the performance would be better (mainly starting from a stand still on hills was my issue) 

Is my SEL Polo worth an extra £6000 ..........well it might be but as I don't really need 5 seats and as the UP TSI has the Polo gearbox (my earlier UP gearbox used to crunch when selecting reverse and felt fragile) I think I personally would buy another UP.

I would imagine you'd get a far better deal on a TSI UP compared to a new model Polo. 

How did you get it for such a good price, I'm assuming it was new? The list price is currently £12,395 for the 3 door.

The Polo SE TSI is £15,930, so an increase of about £3,600 on the list price compared to the Up.

Drive The Deal so good prices, although you have to add on £500 to the quote if you do not take the financing package.

Sorry I should have clarified this. It was about 6 weeks old and 700miles. But has around £1.5k of options, so I was pleased. Well apart from it being black, a nightmare to keep looking good
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:28am
This is the dilema I find myself in - swap my 75hp High Up for a SEL DSG Polo or swap my current Up for a TSi (I like the GTi but can't really say the GTi branding is for me).

My next car requirements are:
1. better performance
2. better refinement
3. cruise control

The TSi ticks all the boxes but changing to the Polo has a certain appeal (bigger, two extra doors, adaptive cruise control...). Obviously you have to pay a considerable sum more for the Polo. I know I only need a car the size of the Up but would really like the Polo considering I spend a lot of time in my cars.....grrrr, I can't decide!
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:31am

How do you find things like comfort and cabin noise compares between the two? My 2012 Up has done 130,000 miles, hence the question.

Wow, I didn't think the Up would survive this sort of mileage. It just goes to show what good little cars they are. I seem to remember the Up scored near the top of the small car reliability tables in a recent survey. Happy motoring...
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
Leif View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by luckyjimmy luckyjimmy wrote:

How do you find things like comfort and cabin noise compares between the two? My 2012 Up has done 130,000 miles, hence the question.

Wow, I didn't think the Up would survive this sort of mileage. It just goes to show what good little cars they are. I seem to remember the Up scored near the top of the small car reliability tables in a recent survey. Happy motoring...

These days small cars last. Not all of course. My old style Ford Ka did 160,000 miles in 10 years, then fell apart due to rust. The Up looks to have better rust proofing. Obviously things like the clutch, wheel bearings and exhaust do go. I guess you have a point though, a City car is probably engineered for lower mileage city driving, unlike a Passat which one assumes is engineered for high mileage.
Leif View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by luckyjimmy luckyjimmy wrote:

This is the dilema I find myself in - swap my 75hp High Up for a SEL DSG Polo or swap my current Up for a TSi (I like the GTi but can't really say the GTi branding is for me).

My next car requirements are:
1. better performance
2. better refinement
3. cruise control

The TSi ticks all the boxes but changing to the Polo has a certain appeal (bigger, two extra doors, adaptive cruise control...). Obviously you have to pay a considerable sum more for the Polo. I know I only need a car the size of the Up but would really like the Polo considering I spend a lot of time in my cars.....grrrr, I can't decide!

You've kind of summed up my dilemma, though I do not need cruise control. I like the idea of more comfort, and a more relaxing journey, at the expense of some driving pleasure given that the Polo is known to be a little dull to drive. I also like the larger boot which will take ice hockey kit apart from the stick of course. I will probably buy a Polo, but I will test drive both and if the Up rings my bell, it'll be the Up.
Leif View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:18pm

Sorry I should have clarified this. It was about 6 weeks old and 700miles. But has around £1.5k of options, so I was pleased. Well apart from it being black, a nightmare to keep looking good

Thanks. So was that a car bought by someone, who then decided they did not like it? Or was it a demonstrator that the garage decided to sell on early? And how did you hear about it? So many questions I know, but it sounds like a bargain. LOL
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:06pm

Thanks. So was that a car bought by someone, who then decided they did not like it? Or was it a demonstrator that the garage decided to sell on early? And how did you hear about it? So many questions I know, but it sounds like a bargain. LOL

Dealer registered. I'm not sure why they sold it earlier, it would have been a demonstrator/staff car I guess but literally as new. Not even a single stone chip. Maybe registered to get their targets up or maybe my attitude. I laughed at the 12 week delivery time for a factory order and walked away all of a sudden they found one.
I know this is mad but the next car on my list was a Maserati Quattroporte. So they saved me from myself
Derkie54 View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derkie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:56pm
You've kind of summed up my dilemma, though I do not need cruise control. I like the idea of more comfort, and a more relaxing journey, at the expense of some driving pleasure given that the Polo is known to be a little dull to drive. I also like the larger boot which will take ice hockey kit apart from the stick of course. I will probably buy a Polo, but I will test drive both and if the Up rings my bell, it'll be the Up.
[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to let us know what you go for Leif/ luckyjimmy.
5 Door 1.0 High UP - May 2013 (sold 2016)
5 Door 1.0 High Up TSI - March 2018 (current)

toony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 10:39am

I picked up pre reg 1.0 tsi beats 5door with 10 miles on clock snd 35 months warranty for 8.5k in Jan. 13k?

Up gti is same car. You can chip the tsi to 125bhp for 250 quid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic