FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Potential new owner saying hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NeilF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential new owner saying hello
    Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 4:34pm
Just wanted to say hi - stumbled across this forum looking for information on the upcoming (no pun intended) GTI. 

Current car (2006 1.8 MX-5) is a bit ratty and I'm looking to replace it; was considering the Polo but don't fancy shelling out £20k on a brand new car. I toyed with the idea of a nearly-new A1, but that just doesn't excite me. The MX-5 is not the fastest but it IS fun, and I'm hoping the Up GTI captures that essence. It's about as quick, about as heavy, and has all the creature comforts and toys my Mazda doesn't.

Anyway, cheers, I'll be keeping an eye out and if the price lands at around the £15k mark I could well be tempted!
Sponsored Links

IanE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 6:40pm
Hi Neil and welcome!

We're expecting our first up! In a couple of weeks - a High Up 90 - I've had a go in one and I'm happy to report, as many others on here have, that it is great fun. We're changing from a mini cooper d cabriolet and whilst I don't think the up can be expected to handle as well, it is in fact about 0.01 seconds quicker to 60 :) !

So the GTI with all its improvements over the 90, looks like an excellent prospect!

Cheers

Ian
911ts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911ts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm
So taken with our new 5 Door Sportpack Tsi High Up, after me and the wife having had two High Up's with Sportpack for the last 3 years, we sold her black '64 plate, kept my red 15 plate and bought a new, 67 plate demo (380 miles only), High Up Tsi with Triangle wheels, pearl paint, boot liner, mudflaps & mats for £3000 off list.
Completely different power delivery, and 118 lbs ft of torque compared with 70 ft lbs. Goes like stink, and the only bugbear for us is the lack of Maps & More.
The new beefed up gearbox in the 90bhp Tsi is way, way better than the previous one too.

Have a look at a specced up Tsi before you spend 1000's more on a GTI version.

Edited by 911ts3 - 13 Nov 2017 at 8:06pm
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 15 Plate Red 5-door VW High Up with Sportpack,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.
NeilF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
Funnily enough, I'd played with the configurator and made myself a rather nice TSI. Price and equipment on the GTI will be the deciding factor I think; I'm taken with the look of the car and the shiny bells-and-whistles as well and I'll be honest about that - there is some cachet in the GTI badge (for me at least).
IanE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:57am
Absolutely Neil ! As I get to hear more about the GTI I get more interested - which is a bit of a shame as I haven't even taken delivery of our High Up yet! The GTI does have real differences of course - six speed gear box, i believe tuned up suspension, come to mind. Although maybe I'm getting too old (63) for the GTI badge:)
911ts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911ts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:04am
I'm the same age , and we've had lots of GTi Mk2, 3 and 4 Golfs over a long period, but to be honest, this Tsi is as good, if not better than any of them.
I know there's the 6 speed gearbox, and other attractive bits, but not sure (apart from the cache) that those bits add up to the extra cost.
There's also the extra insurance to take into account too.
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 15 Plate Red 5-door VW High Up with Sportpack,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.
UP!TK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP!TK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
Welcome along, lots here interested in the GTI but very little information released yet! Hoping Volkswagen don't keep everyone hanging on too long.
Darren C View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:19pm
In addition, gear box, suspension and niceties aside, the TSI will likely remap to the standard GTI power output or better and be a wolf in sheep's clothing too so to speak.

Something I may ultimately entertain myself in the future.
Honey Yellow TSI - 5 Door [2017]
911ts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911ts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 29 minutes ago at 10:31am
My insurance on the |TSi is only £15 more than the 75 bhp High Up, although I am 63..............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic