URL: http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8549
Printed Date: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mark1 Up! Vs Mark 2 Up!
Posted By: grosdr
Subject: Mark1 Up! Vs Mark 2 Up!
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:50am
Hi All,
I have had a bad experience with a 63 plate Mark 1 / Old VW Up! (reverse gear issue, issues with gears, failed aircon and lots of other niggles etc). This is after owning a VW Polo for 15 x years which never missed a beat or an MOT!
It is a shame as it is, otherwise, a nice car.

Frankly, I am considering just spending the additional money and getting myself a Mark 2 hoping that all these niggles (I understand it has a better gear box for instance) have been resolved. 
Can anyone concur with me that the Mark 2 is better before I spend an extra £3K?
Thank you in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: jimv50
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:05pm
For 3k getting a new car would my preferred option in this case, I have a 14 plate Up! and have had no problems whatsoever, maybe I must be lucky. I don't like the dashboard in the new car so I'm keeping mine for the next few years and then the daughter can learn to drive in it.
I did have a very good look at the Hyundai i10, a much better car and dealer service overall than the Up!, you may get a good deal on one of those as well.

-------------
The glass is not half full or half empty....the glass is too big

Posted By: martinh
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:49pm
Ive had a mk1 Up for 5 years, my partner has a new generation Hyundai i10 which I drive more than I do my Up. The new i10 is a very good car indeed with a very good Dealer that cant do enough for the customer. If I was buying new again I might not buy an Up again as I would probably go for a Hyundai i10, its an excellent car with better customer service + a 5 year warranty.

Posted By: PeterWestSussex
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by martinh martinh wrote:

The new i10 is a very good car indeed with a very good Dealer that can't do enough for the customer. If I was buying new again I might not buy an Up again as I would probably go for a Hyundai i10, its an excellent car with better customer service + a 5 year warranty.
Dealer proximity can be a very decisive factor. Hyundai are miles from us but our VW dealership is within reasonable walking distance and customer relations are excellent.  Indeed, as I have posted elsewhere on this Forum, one service guy has openly said "I work for VW but I'm an unashamed fan of Japanese cars" (we were talking about the new Suzuki Ignis at the time).   As a company cars driver (a fleet of around 50 leased cars) I know from colleagues that the VWs were only average for reliability.   Over 29 years I had Ford, Vauxhall and finally three Skoda Octavias (each L&K trim = top of the range).  All three Octavias had one or more problems and they were ALL electrical.
Would I buy another Up! ?  On principle, NO ... not until they 
a) add a third seat belt in the back.  Our 13 year old Suzuki Wagon R can safely fit a child/small adult in at the back yet overall it's narrower than the Up! (Wagon R is 1620mm wide, the Up! is 1645mm)   
b) illuminated switches on the doors 
c) eliminate rear brake drums/shoe sticking by using discs (as they've done on Polo)

-------------
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.

Posted By: luckyjimmy
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:19am
Having had three VWs (two Ups and a Golf) I've been a bit disappointed by the quality of these cars. The Golf was the best built but had a gearbox issue and the Ups have had various small but annoying issues.

I  would be tempted to go for the 90bhp Up the next time I renew my car but there are so many great small cars around making the decision to stick with VW more difficult. I like the new Suzuki Ignis for example and there is even a 4x4 version. Also, the new Suzuki Swift (automatic version for me) gets great reviews.

-------------
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!

Posted By: grosdr
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 3:17pm
Thank you for your feedback. Your opinion is in line with other opinions I heard. Out of interest what were the niggling issues with your 2 x Up!s...I have had major gearbox issues with 1st and reverse which made for some interesting manoeuvres to get out of my driveway...

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:12pm
My 2012 Up windscreen was not sealed properly at the factory, resulting in squelching carpets (this took the garage a week to fix). It had warped brake disks at 20k miles and a broken exhaust heat shield. Also, the paint colour of the flap covering the fuel filler cap did not match the body colour (my dealer maintained it was the correct colour!).

My 2016 Up seems better built than the older car but has, at the time of writing, a clicking clutch pedal. The car has newly developed a 'clonking' sound at the rear when going slowly over rough roads (I initially thought there was something amiss with the exhaust). There are also a number of rattles inside the cabin which should not be present in a year old car. 

In general these issues have not prevented me getting around and some of them are just annoyances rather than full blown defects. However, like many others, I've bough in to VW marketing by expecting to be supplied with a quality product. Alas, after spending quite a bit of money, I'm beginning to suspect VW's marketing does not quite match reality. I do like driving my car little Up though but would I buy another VW? Difficult to answer that one...

-------------

Posted By: whats up
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:07pm
 I've always been impressed by German build quality but I've now learned that my UP! wasn't built in Germany but in the former Skoda factory in Slovakia. I know this shouldn't make any difference but maybe it does.      

-------------
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.

Posted By: 911ts3
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
We're on our third Up at the moment, having had a new (pre-reg) Up Tsi since the middle of November.
I still have one of the earlier Mk1's.
Our 64 plate High Up had a low speed noise when in traffic in 2nd gear. I concur with everyone else about the transmission on Mk1 Up's being marginal. Definitely needed improvement.
With our 15 plate High Up, I had the clutch issue that most of the other complainants beefed about, ie not being able to select 1st and reverse gear when cold.
The clutch was changed under warranty at 4000 miles, & the car has been faultless ever since.It has now done 25000 miles.

On the other hand, the new Up Tsi has the beefier Polo gearbox, and the whole car is a different kettle of fish. Feels better quality, is more refined, and goes like the clappers.
I've done 2500 miles in it now (had 386 mls recorded when purchased), and it gets better & better. I certainly wouldn't consider a Hyundai i10 against a new Tsi (and I've driven both).

Steve

-------------
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 18 Plate 5 Door 90 bhp High Up Tsi in Costa Azule,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.

Posted By: Derkie54
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:51pm
Interesting comment about the gearbox I didn't think the Polo gearbox would fit, are you sure about this fact ?

I'm seriously thinking of going back to an UP and hearing this is good news as I always thought the gearbox was the one thing that felt a bit fragile on my first UP.

-------------
5 Door 1.0 High UP - May 2013 (sold 2016)
5 Door 1.0 High Up TSI - March 2018 (current)

Posted By: djcowlin
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
No problems with the gearbox on my facelift High Up! 75PS. Plus the car has more character than a Japanese/Korean car, IMHO. Plus it's built in Europe.

-------------
2016 High Up! 75PS
2016 BMW 340i Touring

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Derkie54 Derkie54 wrote:

Interesting comment about the gearbox I didn't think the Polo gearbox would fit, are you sure about this fact ?

I'm seriously thinking of going back to an UP and hearing this is good news as I always thought the gearbox was the one thing that felt a bit fragile on my first UP.

Pretty sure I read that fact on this Forum early on when the TSi was introduced, and in the Motoring Press also.
I'll try and find it.
Tomorrow (if the weather is OK), I'll compare the TSi to my 75bhp High Up and see what they look like under the bonnet. Fairly sure I'd noticed before that the TSi has a different shaped casing, and seems to fill the underbonnet space more.
Aside from that, compared to my 75bhp car, the gearbox feels totally different, more substantial, stronger, with no untoward noises whatsoever.
The earlier gearbox feels altogether more "delicate"

-------------
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 18 Plate 5 Door 90 bhp High Up Tsi in Costa Azule,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.

Posted By: David Wright
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by djcowlin djcowlin wrote:

No problems with the gearbox on my facelift High Up! 75PS.

Same here with my 2016 pre fecelift High Up!.  Logic suggests VW would cure any problems especially as in early cars they appeared while still under warranty.

The TSI has 50% more torque than the non TSI engine and so you would expect it have a stronger gearbox, final drive and possibly drive shafts than the standard Up!.  The additional weight of 70kg for the TSI version seems rather a lot for just the different engine and would indicate the transmission is also different.

When we talk about the "Polo" gearbox, I suspect the Polo uses the Up gearbox when fitted with the 60ps or 75 ps naturally aspirated 999cc engine.  Certainly some 2016 Polos share the same gearbox code as the Up.

The Up! GTI uses a 6 speed gearbox also found in some Polos so it certainly fits.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:50am
I remember reading when I bought my up in 2013 that the limiting factor that prevented the UP being a TSI was the torque limit on the gearbox. All your replies make sense thanks Thumbs Up........ Polo gearbox added and problem solved Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:29am
The 2012 Up gearbox had that noisy rattle when the car was idling in neutral - it was always there and was deemed a 'feature' of the car when folk complained (in my car it never actually gave any trouble). 

The 2016 Up (pre-facelift) had a different gearbox from 2012 cars and was much better in every respect. I presume they probably stuck with this in non-TSI cars after the facelift.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 3:32pm
Been under the bonnet of both our Ups today, and the gearbox casing in the Tsi is definitely beefier and a slightly different shape than our 2015 1st gen. 75bhp High Up. Very difficult to take photo's as obviously there's more kit under the bonnet of the Tsi, but when the weather gets warmer I'll get underneath both with the camera and you'll be able to see the differences.
Looks like the Tsi does have the Polo gearbox after all.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 12:44pm
Yes I think that's the case, thanks for all your inputs and reading the brochure it confirms the TSI is a fair bit heavier the normally aspirated UP's which would account for the Polo gearbox Thumbs Up

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk