Print Page | Close Window

Just bought a VW Up! Beats (Scammed by dealer?)

Printed From: VW UP! Owners Club
Category: General Message Area
Forum Name: Main Message Centre
Forum Discription: Anything to do with the VW UP!
URL: http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9547
Printed Date: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Just bought a VW Up! Beats (Scammed by dealer?)
Posted By: bramley911
Subject: Just bought a VW Up! Beats (Scammed by dealer?)
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:19pm
So I recently bought a vw up beats, there were no mats in the car even though I checked the specs on the vw website and it says they come standard? I have the 90 ps version which is the top model. There is also no phone cradle, not 100% sure but i'm pretty sure that should also be standard with my version. Last of all there was no tsi badge on the car, could someone please clarify if I should have received these or not.
Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: whats up
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:31pm
new or second hand?  it should have mats and a tsi badge on the rear but I think the phone cradle is now an optional extra.

-------------
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.

Posted By: Rough
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:23am
Mats should be included as they are listed (I've had them 3 weeks ago), TSI badge is standard on TSI model - it should have different front bumper too. Also if you ordered a brand new car then you should get what was specified during the order (the cradle), but conversely if you bought a second hand car I think all beats always had the cradle so you should get it?
Personally I am missing the red accent on seat belts I've seen in videos.
More detail would help - What dealer, new or used, etc

Posted By: Derkie54
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 7:20am
Although it's not an UP Beats mine is also a TSI (High UP) and it didn't come with the TSI badge on the back. 
I think you can order some cars without all of the badges, not sure if this applies to the UP but mine was a car that was in stock so I didn't get to specify what badges were removed. I have seen a few UP's with the TSI badge on the back.
It did come with the cradle but not any mats, when I bought it saleman said it didn't come with mats which I found surprising as it is a top of the range model so I said I would like VW mats in the car as part of the deal and they did put them in.

-------------
5 Door 1.0 High UP - May 2013 (sold 2016)
5 Door 1.0 High Up TSI - March 2018 (current)

Posted By: lupogtiboy
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 8:38am
PM me your reg or chassis number and I'll have a look at it for you

-------------
2003 Lupo GTI (Kaiya) and 2012 High Up! (Uma)
www.driftbridge.co.uk

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 9:44am
The car is a pre reg, it had 15 miles on it and was used for test drives I think.

Posted By: ThatUp!GTI
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by bramley911 bramley911 wrote:

The car is a pre reg, it had 15 miles on it and was used for test drives I think.

Then it should have mats in. Also the spare wheel and kit is available through VW and is £150. 

-------------
GTi, 3dr pearl black, remapped, lowered, now wrapped satin grey.

Posted By: djcowlin
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:19am
Floor mats weren't standard on my 66-reg High Up! As I recall I had to pay extra for them and then remind the dealer to put them in the car before I drove away in it!

You can specify badge delete when ordering - I'll bet that's what's happened with your pre-reg car.

I hope you're enjoying it otherwise.

-------------
2016 High Up! 75PS
2016 BMW 340i Touring

Posted By: David Wright
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:15pm
The Up configurator lists mats as an extra (but confusingly says they are standard equipment - perhaps they mean the basic carpet)  It also lists the cradle as an extra, though the interface is standard.  On lower models you have to buy the interface and the cradle.

-------------
3 door July 16 VW High Up!

Posted By: PhilDon
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:41pm
My TSI doesn't have a badge either (Jan 2018)
I asked the dealer and they couldn't explain so I had a web chat with the VW site.

I was told that TSI badges were discontinued in late 2017 - no explanation given.
I'd still like one though - any ideas where / how to get one?

-------------
High UP! TSI 2018

Posted By: Bobw
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm
More cost saving tactics by VW. Making the customer pay for the phone cradle and deleting the tsi badge. Probably saves them 5 Euros a car. Mind you, they've got to find the cash for the US Dieselgate compensation from somewhere....

My High Up! Tsi was a factory build, delivered in July 2017. It came with the phone cradle and the tsi badge, but no floor mats. I haggled with the dealer for the 'luxury' mats for the price of the ordinary ones. The 'luxury' ones aren't great, so I dread to think what the ordinary one are like.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:33pm
I would also like a TSI badge, though I have only found one silver one on ebay, the rest are silver and red which aren't for the up.

Posted By: PhilDon
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 8:46am
Right on the money.
There was an American author called Arthur Hayley who wrote big blockbuster novels in the seventies about different industries. 
"Wheels" was about the Detroit car industry and I remember there was a big argument between the design engineers and the accountants about the price of a particular part to be fitted on a new model.
The engineers wanted a higher quality spec which the said would cost a maximum of a couple of dollars extra but was well worth it.
The accountants however replied "maybe so but we plan to build 20 million of this model"
Guess who won.  

-------------
High UP! TSI 2018

Posted By: David Wright
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Bobw Bobw wrote:

More cost saving tactics by VW. Making the customer pay for the phone cradle and deleting the tsi badge. Probably saves them 5 Euros a car.

The phone cradle will gain them £150 a car.  But at what cost in customer dissatisfaction?  The price is ridiculous and the fact that its not standard on the High Up (mine came with a satnav unit as standard) or GTI is staggering.

Having worked in manufacturing, the deletion of the TSI badge is probably more related to production line streamlining.  The fewer variations the better when it comes to assembly lines.  I noticed they dropped the body colour VW badge at the front of the car with the facelift and went for a black one.  Not only will they save the extra cost of the colour coded badge, but they will reduce the different parts they have deal with from say 10 to 1 and if its the same badge as goes on the back then it simplifies things even more.  And of course no need to make sure you have the right number of say red badges to match the number of red cars you are making.

-------------
3 door July 16 VW High Up!

Posted By: lupogtiboy
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:32am
From your chassis number, this is definitely a TSI 90bhp version. According to the PR-Codes, it should have a TSI badge on the back, if you want one the part number is 1S6 853 675 B FXC (£23.22 inc vat). It should have come with the phone holder, so I'd definitely go and get that as its £150 from VW, and it should have floor mats front and rear too.

-------------
2003 Lupo GTI (Kaiya) and 2012 High Up! (Uma)
www.driftbridge.co.uk

Posted By: Bobw
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by David Wright David Wright wrote:

Originally posted by Bobw Bobw wrote:

More cost saving tactics by VW. Making the customer pay for the phone cradle and deleting the tsi badge. Probably saves them 5 Euros a car.

The phone cradle will gain them £150 a car.  But at what cost in customer dissatisfaction?  The price is ridiculous and the fact that its not standard on the High Up (mine came with a satnav unit as standard) or GTI is staggering.

Having worked in manufacturing, the deletion of the TSI badge is probably more related to production line streamlining.  The fewer variations the better when it comes to assembly lines.  I noticed they dropped the body colour VW badge at the front of the car with the facelift and went for a black one.  Not only will they save the extra cost of the colour coded badge, but they will reduce the different parts they have deal with from say 10 to 1 and if its the same badge as goes on the back then it simplifies things even more.  And of course no need to make sure you have the right number of say red badges to match the number of red cars you are making.

Agreed. I too spent a career in engineering and manufacturing. The drive to reduce costs has become all consuming, whether it is reduction in variation, reduction in material costs or reduction in labour costs. A friend of my nephew works for Bentley in Crewe and he reckons that the cost reduction pressure throughout the VW group is immense at the moment.

Posted By: 911ts3
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 7:43pm
My November 17 Tsi High Up has a Tsi badge on the rear. My wife's April 2018 High Up Tsi doesn't have one. Rang the dealer and they don't fit them any more.
Both had mats fitted as standard.
I didn't notice the lack of Tsi badge on the handover, otherwise one way or another I'd have weedled one out of them. I bought a gen VW one off Ebay from a private seller for 9.99.

-------------
67 plate 5 Door 90bhp Tsi High Up with Sportpack, 18 Plate 5 Door 90 bhp High Up Tsi in Costa Azule,   1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Race Replica.

Posted By: whats up
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:07am
I think they stopped putting the TSI badges on at the same time as the GTI came out. Perhaps they only have a limited badge making budget. 

-------------
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.

Posted By: Jimlad
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:21am
I think i would rather have no TSI badge to be honest. Why do you need to advertise the fact that you have a turbo? Isn't it better to take people by surprise at the traffic light grand prix?

Posted By: shakotanVIP
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm
I think 'scammed' is a somewhat strong term to use, you got the car which you ordered and weren't left our of pocket, however it would appear that you are missing the mats and phone holder which should have come as standard.

What has the dealership said when you approached them regarding this?

-------------
VW up! GTI incoming, 3-door, Tungsten Silver, "beats" audio upgrade

Posted By: Kugaman1
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by bramley911 bramley911 wrote:

Id doubt that! 15 miles? What test drives? To the end of the forecourt and back?

Also, beats models don’t take a spare wheel as the subwoofer sits where the wheel would go.

Posted By: BitsUp!
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:32pm
I've got an early 2018 up beats tsi and mine came with mats, cradle and 'tsi' badge all as standard. I read that the beats were meant to come with beats branded mats, but mine just came with plain ones with red trim. Dealership made out as though they'd done me a favour by putting the mats in, I obviously mentioned the website stating beats branded mats but I wasn't given an explaination. I didn't moan as I'm not too bothered as long as it has mats.

Posted By: Rough
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
I think the red stiching is effectively the beats version.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk