FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

rear Brakes sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ospreywatcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear Brakes sticking
    Posted: 26 May 2014 at 12:55pm
anybody else getting rear brakes sticking on. Noticed a few times after being parked overnight - and usually when it has been raining. One of the rear brakes had stuck but released with a quick reverse and then forward movement. Garage had a look when car in for 10,000 service two weeks back. But this morning they had really locked on and took a good few moves before freeing themselves. Had the same problem with our Citroen AXs a few years back - so bad that one time the lining stripped from the shoe. Dealer said probably needs stripped and cleaned. And NO we do not yank the handbrake on as if we were trying to hold a ten ton truck on a hill. And blast dealer is closed for the holiday Monday.
High up! Tungsten Silver - Grey/beech polkadot
Sponsored Links

Privatedoc View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Privatedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 2:48pm
Yup, mine did same, drums were cleaned out at service and all fixed now, due to a build up of brake dust/gunge etc   

at its worst, had to drive forward before I could reverse to free them up! 
Up! White 3 door replaced By :-
Polo SE 1.2 TSi Nimbus/Nav/Cruise/Park

Up! White 5 door sound/sensor/wheel replacing with:-
Polo Se Design 1.2 TSi White 5Dr Nav/winter/convenience/park packs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 2:59pm
thanks doc!
Beevee View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beevee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 3:08pm
When I had proper automatics I never used the handbreak overnight. I used to leave it in park you can do the same with a manual car by leaving it in gear. Can't do it with the Up! because of the loud warning sound when you don't engage the handbreak. Luckily so far I have had no problems with the handbreak sticking.
Up! Candy White High Up 5 Door ASG
Sensor Pack, Mud Flaps,Luxury Mats, Lifeshine, Smart Protect
Ordered 10/09/12, Collected 30/10/12
+2/3 e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +2/3 e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 3:25pm
My up!'s handbrake hasn't stuck so far, but many moons ago my Nova's would when left on for a couple of weeks.  The first time, the mechanic I called out removed the wheel trims, lay on his back and gave the rear wheels a couple of good kicks each, which did the job perfectly.  A useful trick for me to learn, saving a lot of waiting around and expense when it happened again. Smile
Night Blue High up! BMT (ordered 24 April, collected 17 July 2013)    
AlanG View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:22pm
Out of interest, does anyone with sticky brakes use engine braking?
gary02tdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary02tdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:03am
After all the heavy rain we've over the past few day we are getting this.
I just leave car in gear and two clicks on the hanedbrake.

Anybody else front brakes squeaking too?
Switch your fecking foglights OFF!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:44am
Gary02tdi we have tried that and it still stick. Car was checked at 10,000 service and they said looked OK but would need to pay if I wanted brakes stripped and cleaned. Two weeks later we had braked cleaned. AND guess what - they still stuck. Wife was away with the car last week on a course in Windermere. Car in gear, handbrake on two notches. Brakes stuck. Only released when she bounced the rear end of the car. Garage now recommend new brake linings, but are prepared to fit them free of charge as we paid for them to be cleaned two week ago.
u0362565 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u0362565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 6:14pm
Hi all,

I've had this problem since i bought the car.  Of course i didn't notice it at the time because the garage hadn't left it standing for a period of time.  My garage suggested a strip and clean of the rear drums, i see one other person has said this didn't fix the problem, has anyone else had this fixed by this or other means? 

Interestingly i once left the handbrake off for a few days and left it in gear, the sticking was much less severe but there was still some reluctance to move a slight noise on pulling off and then it just released.  I don't understand how the brakes could be sticking still without the hand brake on though?

In this colder weather and only after a couple of nights its really set in and can take a couple of minutes on the accelerator and jumping about to get it to move.  I'd like this sorted out now.

On a related note, anyone had their front disks either cleaned or replaced and any idea how much a new pair would cost.  I've got corroded noisy front brakes too!

Thanks

PeterWestSussex View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by u0362565 u0362565 wrote:

I've had this problem since i bought the car.  Of course i didn't notice it at the time because the garage hadn't left it standing for a period of time.  My garage suggested a strip and clean of the rear drums, i see one other person has said this didn't fix the problem, has anyone else had this fixed by this or other means?
Mine has just had 3-year service (at 16k miles) and MoT.  Have noticed this week that rear shoes are sticking (car always garaged overnight). Service supervisor at main dealer says rear drums/shoes need cleaning / dust blowing out + copper grease.  Strange how some things haven't changed over time - I remember this being done on my Marina and Austin 1300)
 I expressed amazement when Supervisor said rear brakes on up! and Polo are only ever visually inspected never stripped down UNLESS there's a problem and VW do NOT include this item - unless requested - and then it's an extra and casnnot be taken out of the 3-year Service Plan; takes 1 hour and costs £117.   After protesting that I had just paid for an annual service 1 month age and it would not have cost so much if done at the same time  they offered me a reduced price.   So rear brakes will be cleaned down week after next. 
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic