FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

rear Brakes sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Markybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:48pm
Noticed this on mine , if the car sits for a couple of days or longer , rear brakes stick a bit. Also if car parked overnight in wet conditions , and i reverse out of space , they squeal like a pig! (Small one..) linked?

Mark
vw move UP! 2012. sound pack , wind deflectors , stubby aerial , M&M , chrome mirrors , led drl/sidelights ,rear hatch chrome strip.(Just alloys to finish!)
Sponsored Links

ospreywatcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm
as stated earlier in this section mine stuck frequently and they were cleaned out [for which I paid] and then after a few weeks kept sticking again. New brake shoes were recommended and when I complained that the brakes had just been cleaned they fitted them for the cost of the shoes, with no labour charges. After a couple of months - guess what - they stick again. As we park on a level surface at night we always leave the brake off and the car in gear.
High up! Tungsten Silver - Grey/beech polkadot
u0362565 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u0362565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 11:51pm
I should have posted an update to this but had my rear drums stripped and cleaned and hand brake cable optimally tensioned. The brakes stuck again more than ever after I left the car for a couple of days standing. I promptly took the car back to the garage and they loosened off the cable a bit but basically said, it's a problem with ups and polo's and cheaper models that still fit drums. I thought rear drums were still quite common actually but true at the lower end of the market I suppose. It's not nearly as bad now it's warmed up a bit but I think I'm stuck with it to be honest. The car is so good generally, it's a shame this is an issue but it could be something a lot worse..
SiJ2000 View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiJ2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 7:28am
Its not just a problem with ups... I had this on my Mercedes and also my eos. Both had rear discs. Although I would have to leave for a week or so for it to stick... I think it's a climate thing... Lots of humidity...
2016 E-Up! Black - GardX Protection
-------------------------
Bloody e-up! does't have optional extras, or I would have got some!

Rolec Wallpod 16amp Charger... (cos my house doesn't want 32 amps!)
Markybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 8:53am
Once again , never had this with my 17yr owned 1997 polo... Whats with these niggles with the UP! ? Build quality? Or is this the norm with new cars? Or more specifically, first generation of a all new model?...

I have the following occasionally :

1. Reverse gear not engaging.
2. Rear brakes squeal & stick on.
3. Clicking clutch pedal.
vw move UP! 2012. sound pack , wind deflectors , stubby aerial , M&M , chrome mirrors , led drl/sidelights ,rear hatch chrome strip.(Just alloys to finish!)
oxonboxn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxonboxn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by PeterWestSussex PeterWestSussex wrote:

Originally posted by u0362565 u0362565 wrote:

I've had this problem since i bought the car.  Of course i didn't notice it at the time because the garage hadn't left it standing for a period of time.  My garage suggested a strip and clean of the rear drums, i see one other person has said this didn't fix the problem, has anyone else had this fixed by this or other means?
Mine has just had 3-year service (at 16k miles) and MoT.  Have noticed this week that rear shoes are sticking (car always garaged overnight). Service supervisor at main dealer says rear drums/shoes need cleaning / dust blowing out + copper grease.  Strange how some things haven't changed over time - I remember this being done on my Marina and Austin 1300)
 I expressed amazement when Supervisor said rear brakes on up! and Polo are only ever visually inspected never stripped down UNLESS there's a problem and VW do NOT include this item - unless requested - and then it's an extra and casnnot be taken out of the 3-year Service Plan; takes 1 hour and costs £117.   After protesting that I had just paid for an annual service 1 month age and it would not have cost so much if done at the same time  they offered me a reduced price.   So rear brakes will be cleaned down week after next. 

Strange that my Skoda dealer DOES do a "rear brake strip and clean" every two years on my Citigo and includes it in the service price...not as an extra.
evantotis93 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evantotis93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:15pm
Happens to me all the time too, I also had a problem when I bought mine that the hand brake didn't want to work on hills and the car would roll down them!! I found that if you engage and disengage it a few time rather quickly it "re-calibrated" and sorted the problem.
micktss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micktss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:48pm
Our UP is now in its 3rd year the hand brake has stuck on from New if you leave the hand brake on its stuck in the morning. VW wont do any thing under warranty they say its dust on the brakes but this is not covered in a normal service and costs £100+ extra. But as it starts sticking again within 1 week of cleaning this ridiculous!!. The solution DONT BUY ONE.
Markybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:27pm
I won't be buying another up! i might not even get another vw to be honest.
ospreywatcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:28pm
Rear brakes cleaned at 20,000 miles and new shoes at 25,000 miles. New shoes at 50,000 when MOT done. Now 4,000 miles later garage wants car for 2 days to investigate. They did say at 50,000 miles that there had been a problem with 63 reg vehicles but that newer shoes were not causing any bother. Think I will end up having to pay full whack as my previously independent garage has been taken over by a very large combine with notoriously poor customer relations.
High up! Tungsten Silver - Grey/beech polkadot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic