FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

rear Brakes sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
SpikeXtreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpikeXtreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
I know how you feel Markybug.

I was thinking should i keep mine and hope VW improve on their replacement parts or cut my losses and trade in for a new or newish Polo, Fiesta or Hyundai.

It's not a easy decision because the longer you leave it the more likely you will keep the Car because of all the money spent on it.

I'm keeping mine on the sole reason it is cheap to run and money might be an issue a few years from now.

But if it starts sucking money out my wallet ..it's going 
Sponsored Links

Markybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 7:55pm
Mine will be paid for (loan) may 2018 , plan to keep it at least another 3 years and hopefully get a classic air cooled beetle:)

But same as you , if any big bills appear , its going!
vw move UP! 2012. sound pack , wind deflectors , stubby aerial , M&M , chrome mirrors , led drl/sidelights ,rear hatch chrome strip.(Just alloys to finish!)
Wadadli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wadadli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:17am
Wife's Rock Up! rear brakes stick. I just drive off and they unstuck, be it with clocking noise. I plan to take them off to clean soon, and to repaint the drums which are rusty.

More to the point why are VW even fitting drum brakes, 100 year old technology to a modern car? Even my Mum's 15 year old Toyota Yaris has discs all round.
Wadadli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wadadli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:18am
Wife's Rock Up! rear brakes stick. I just drive off and they unstuck, be it with clonking noise. I plan to take them off to clean soon, and to repaint the drums which are rusty.

More to the point why are VW even fitting drum brakes, 100 year old technology to a modern car? Even my Mum's 15 year old Toyota Yaris has discs all round.
uphu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uphu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Wadadli Wadadli wrote:

More to the point why are VW even fitting drum brakes
Drum brakes are not bad, VW is bad. My previous Hyundai had drum brakes and there were no problems with those drum brakes. VW drum brakes are sticking and squeaking and VW asks huge amount of money for the rubbush they sell to you.
Ed463 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
Nothing wrong with drum brakes but they do simply require more maintenance than discs. VW should include this as part of their service schedule but they (and most other manufactures) try to keep the hrs on service items low.
Even cars with discs on the rear quite ofton have small drums for the handbrake.

Sounds like it's the friction material used on certain years combined with salt, humidity and lack of maintenance. I've had this issue on non VW cars. It didn't stress me too much.

Maybe try non VW premium brand pads?

Go to an indie you trust and it won't be huge money.

Edited by Ed463 - 04 Jun 2017 at 9:51am
u0362565 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u0362565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 10:02am
I had my drums cleaned but it didnt make much difference they still stick if the vehicle is left with hand brake on for some time. Slackening off the hand brake cable made it less bad and they release faster now. The only thing I think is that it could have far worse faults and this is the only issue i've had with the car.
passerby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passerby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:28am
On my recent trip to Scotland I left the car on a slope with the handbrake firmly on and it rained overnight.
The brakes were locked solid and it took ages to free them by rocking the car in fwd and rev gears.
I was ready for calling out the breakdown service when one more lurch and they freed with a loud bang.

Ever since I have left the handbrake on just a couple of notches and had no further problems.

Don't think it 's a VW thing as I had 3 Skoda Fabias all with drums and no sticking at all.

Could it be possible that using shoes with a different lining composition might help..if such an animal exists?
callyy_f View Drop Down

Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callyy_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:43am
When I park on the flat for extended periods of time I've just resorted to parking in gear with no handbrake. Where I used to live even on a hill and just parking over the weekend putting off the handbrake the gravity still wouldn't overcome the stuck brakes and I'd have to reverse. I use the handbrake when driving though so it doesn't stick.

Edited by callyy_f - 04 Jun 2017 at 11:43am
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by callyy_f callyy_f wrote:

When I park on the flat for extended periods of time I've just resorted to parking in gear with no handbrake. I use the handbrake when driving, though, so it doesn't stick.

My new Nissan Qashqai parking brakes (discs not drum) froze 'On' once and the Dealership service advice was exactly that.  In my case they said water had got into the cable and had frozen!
With my up! I use the parking brake whilst the car is in use but overnight or longer stops (even when it's not been raining) I park in gear and front wheels turned into kerb (or if not appropriate, on lock).
End of shoes sticking problem and stretching of cable.   AND I believe the parking brake acts ONLY on the rear of the two shoes on each rear wheel anyway
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic