FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

rear Brakes sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 10:40am
I don't thnk it's the brake drum design that causes the sticking problem on these cars, I think it is due more to the material used in the shoe friction linings. Seemingly, some friction materials even have a metallic component, although whether this causes the shoe to bond more readily with the drum overnight I'm not sure. 

In the good ol' days, I drove 85k miles in my Fiesta and never had the rear brake drums serviced. My local garage did adjust the hand brake a couple of times for the MOT but that was all that was needed. The drums, as far as I remember, never stuck to the shoes unless the car sat for an extended period of time. The friction material probably contained a high proportion of asbestos at the time.
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic