FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

rear Brakes sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 10:40am
I don't thnk it's the brake drum design that causes the sticking problem on these cars, I think it is due more to the material used in the shoe friction linings. Seemingly, some friction materials even have a metallic component, although whether this causes the shoe to bond more readily with the drum overnight I'm not sure. 

In the good ol' days, I drove 85k miles in my Fiesta and never had the rear brake drums serviced. My local garage did adjust the hand brake a couple of times for the MOT but that was all that was needed. The drums, as far as I remember, never stuck to the shoes unless the car sat for an extended period of time. The friction material probably contained a high proportion of asbestos at the time.
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
Sponsored Links

Murph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:24am
Hi, I've just seen this feed and hope someone may be able to help. I have a High Up bought second hand this year with about 30k on the clock (it isn't driven daily). A couple of times it has let me down with the brakes sticking on, and on the second occasion we couldn't free it so called out VW Assist. We have just taken it back to the dealership (as VW Assist recommended a rear brake service) and they have now told us the drums and disks were so silted up and corroded they need replacing. We have only done 4K since buying it at the beginning of the year. Our daughter also owns an Up, bought this year too, and the same fault has once happened to her. Is this a common problem? Unfortunately, her job means she often travels late at night and I'm worried she won't be able to move the car away when needed! Her driveway at home has limited space and is on a slope, so she cannot park without the handbrake. Any suggestions would be really helpful.
minimax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:51am
Silted up? That suggests to me a buildup of brake dust. Washing the drums out with brake cleaner may be the way forward there. Corroded discs are not unusual  at 30,000 on an up, if it has been well used.
The discs are on the front and nothing to do with the rear brakes. The dealer may not  be  the best  source of information and I would get a second opinion before the main dealer wallet pulling tool gets applied.
With regard to the slope, is it so steep as to prevent parking in gear?
up! to mischief
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by minimax minimax wrote:

With regard to the slope, is it so steep as to prevent parking in gear?
Parking on a slope in gear should be the norm. The handbrake (parking brake) and acts ONLY on one of the two shoes on each rear drum anyway.  With the occasional problems I used to get with the rear brakes after a drive in the wet or in freezing conditions - I would always park in gear and leave the parking brake OFF.
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
ospreywatcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ospreywatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 4:21pm
AA man collecting my son's car saw my Up and said 'Back brake sticking?'. Dealer has replace shoes and lubricated all moving parts but they still occasionally stick.
AA man suggested. Park car and switch off engine. leave in gear and release clutch. THEN operate hand brake but do not pull on tightly.
When starting car always reverse 6 inches or so - if the brake has stuck it generally frees off without that sickening jerk.
Has worked fine for me for 15000 miles.
High up! Tungsten Silver - Grey/beech polkadot
Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:42pm
I have just gone from ferodo to pagid rear shoes on a 14800 mile 2013, as they were squeaking on and off, mostly when wet. Indie reckons there is metal in the ferodo lining which rusts to the rear drum, thus squeaking, then it clears and happens again. The pagids are supposed to not have these properties and have worked on polos with the same fault that VW deny of course. My 10th VW and even since my 1972 beetle, I have never had rear drums squeak on any car. Will see how it goes....
Murph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:23am
Quick update: Thank you for your messages. Both of the Ups we own have been taken in by the dealership this week for a 'brake service' and both have been found to need new disks and drums owing to corrosion. The dealership are picking up the cost for this. We have only owned the cars a few months and both have done around 32,000/36,000 miles. Although we are grateful that we have not had to bear the cost for this, the garage have said this is very unusual (so much so that the parts had to be ordered in as they were not in stock). I am concerned however that this fault may not have been found had we not pushed VW to fully check the cars having been told they go through a rigorous check before they are released to customers. I just hope that this will be the end of the problem but I admit to having lost a bit of confidence now in the model. I just hope this posting will help any other Up drivers with this intermittent fault to get it properly checked.
uphu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uphu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

Although we are grateful that we have not had to bear the cost for this,

You were lucky.

the garage have said this is very unusual

It is unusual and should not have happened, but at VW it is quite usual that the disks and brakes are replaced:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/warped-break-discs_topic5990_post88238.html#88238
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:12am

..... and both have been found to need new disks and drums owing to corrosion. The dealership are picking up the cost for this. 
The cost for what?  Need to check they have actually replaced/renewed disks and shoes (unlikely the drums) and not just cleaned out (which actually might be all that's needed.)  But how to check?

Edited by PeterWestSussex - 12 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Sadly, our Jan 2013 Red High-up!written-off by hit-and-run on a Saturday aft in town. Was thinking of upgrading to a Polo, so have now got a used 1.2 TSI 110 DSG but much sooner than planned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic