FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

VW Up! Slated To Go EV Only

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
UP!TK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP!TK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW Up! Slated To Go EV Only
    Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 3:13pm
Earlier reports suggested Volkswagen could cancel the Up!, now reports suggest it may become an electric only city car:

Automobile is reporting the company was initially considering more exciting variants based on the existing PQ architecture or transitioning the model to the newer MQB platform. Volkswagen's passenger car boss, Dr. Herbert Diess, reportedly rejected both ideas as he thought the first plan would just result in the status quo while the MQB route would simply be too expensive.

Instead, the executive reportedly suggested an alternative which would see the Up! and its siblings become available exclusively as electric vehicles. The new models will reportedly be positioned as a Smart competitor and be loosely based on the existing e-Up!. 

The decision to base the model on the existing EV will cut costs and the car will reportedly benefit from knowledge learned during the development of the MEB platform that will underpin models such as the ID Buzz, ID Crozz, and ID Hatch.

Read more here: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/vw-up-slated-to-go-ev-only-could-gain.html
Sponsored Links

ThePurpleWind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePurpleWind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:09pm
This could work, but only if the price is right, and the range is increased. At the moment the e-Up! sits at £25k - which gets you a Tiguan or Passat Estate with a couple of options. There's limited options available for it and it's only available as a 5-door. If 3-door versions are available, and there's more options, it might sell well.
2000 VW Lupo 1.0 E in Red - Waiting for the Up! GTi
luckyjimmy View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:38pm
Looks like I will have to invest in a very long mains extension cable, to dangle out the window of my flat, if I want to take part in the electric car future! LOL 
White High Up! ordered 5th March 2016. Arrived...happy!
ThePurpleWind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePurpleWind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 6:12pm
Well yes, there is always that. Ermm
2000 VW Lupo 1.0 E in Red - Waiting for the Up! GTi
David Wright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:51pm
It is a strange world we live in.  The emphasis seems to be on emissions and ecology but the growth area is SUVs.  Sales of the Up! peaked in Europe at 130,000 in 2013 and have declined to 96,000 last year.  Sales of the E-up were only 5,500 in 2014.  Hard to see the E-up as the future.

The Up! is third best seller in its market segment in Europe, with the Fiat 500 at #2 and the Fiat Panda at #1, so it must be considered a success in its segment.  Its just the segment is small.  The Polo sold 300,000 units in Europe last year and the Golf 490,000.  In a segment where prices have to be low, lacking economies of scale must be hard.  38,000 Citigos and 20,000 Miis help a bit but of course there are Skoda and Seat variants of the Polo and Golf too.

Edited by David Wright - 28 Nov 2017 at 7:53pm
SiJ2000 View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiJ2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 7:50am
I think electric is the future... It's just early days.

They do have to sort out the cost though.

I could have got a Touran (which I also have!) for what I paid for the e-up!

It is a great car though, just a bit of a rip off, as are most electric cars at this point.
2016 E-Up! Black - GardX Protection
-------------------------
Bloody e-up! does't have optional extras, or I would have got some!

Rolec Wallpod 16amp Charger... (cos my house doesn't want 32 amps!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic