FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Warped Brake Discs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Andy T9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy T9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 4:05pm
I don't know if my discs are warped or not, but I now get judder through the steering wheel when braking from 60 and 50 mph. The car has done 10,000 miles only of motorway use, no abuse.

I don't get judder through the pedal at all, just through the steering wheel, i.e. let go of the wheel and it shakes slightly left to right when braking. No shaking at any speeds when not braking, so I don't think it is a wheel balance issue. Will get it back to the dealer I think.
used to own - 63 up! White Edition 75bhp 3dr, 16" Classics, H&R 13/16mm spacers
Sponsored Links

The Novacat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Novacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 1:11pm
I had a very similar experience with JCT600 regarding this.

When I bought my Up 12 months ago it had a slight 'pulse' when braking, especially when travelling downhill. It got worse over the next two months and I complained to JCT600. They told me that as discs and pads are consumable parts and that they were holding no responsibility.

I told them this was not acceptable, and after some complaining they offered a 10% parts discount. I told them this wasn't good enough and that I wanted this escalating.

They then offered a 75% discount on the parts, but I told them that this wasn't good enough either. I informed them that I was coming down in the morning to speak to them face to face.

Strangely enough, 30 minutes later they called and offered to replace all the discs and pads for free.

If anyone is in this position then (coming from a Salesman) keep pushing and pushing. Your complaint will reach somebody in authority who will eventually just think "let's just sort this and get rid". Don't give up!
White Volkswagen Move Up! Bluemotion

12 Plate | 23,000 miles.

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK
Andypandyred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andypandyred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:24pm
Evening I have just left a post regarding the same break judder , UP went into Lookers Blackburn and I was told needed new discs and pads , 13500 miles on a 64 plate - something seriously not right here I've never had a car needing this at such an early age .
No motorway mileage and only a 20 mile commute daily
juan37 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm
The disc wear is proportional to the number of times and the intensity with which the braking is done, regarding the type of brake pads.

In the official service VW when did the service of 30,000 km, I was told that the next service should change disks and brake pads.
As the service of the 45,000 km I did in another official VW workshop,and they said they had "at least to 10,000 km more smoothly."

At 48,000 km I showed a slight squeal when braking, and I began to worry, and decided to disarm and myself to change brake pads, but I find that the thickness of the brake pads was still 50% original thickness.

The squeak was because the compound of the pads has metal parts, which notes that in that sector had a little more, and there came the
squeak.

How much cost the original disks and brake pads in the UK?

Here the of the original brake pads is about 130 euro, and the 2 disks about 240 euros.

Regards,
             Juan
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/the-mercosur-high-up-of-juan_topic5778.html
Charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 12:14am
Mintex £65.00 for front discs and pads.
VW £90.00 for front discs only.

Source: eBay uk

Edited by Charles - 13 Jun 2016 at 12:15am
juan37 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 1:35am
I saw it in amazon germany the Brembo pads at 30 euros, and the Bosch disks at about 60 euros.

Here en Argentina we have no other options for the disks, and they are less options for the pads.

I mean the front brakes of the UP! are the same than the Audi A1.

Regards,
              Juan
Doorw4yS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doorw4yS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 6:43pm
Hi, I have a 14 reg Up just had its 40000 mile service, at 22000 I first noticed the shudder on braking, only through the steering wheel, at speed (60-70 mph) not "pulling" either left or right. I reported this at the 30000 mile service and "warped disks" were noted (the pads still had plenty, 40%+ of wear on them) the disks and pads were changed (at my cost) and we "discussed" driving styles- I do do a lot of miles, mostly motorway/ fast roads interspersed by B roads but am not Nigel Mansell! Up! has now had its 40000 (actual 42000) mile service and again has had to have another set of disks and pads, have had to report the brake shake- knowing of the previous problem I was consciously monitoring breaking performance and ensured I wasn't driving the car "hard" the "brake shake" appeared at approx 38000 miles so the disks had only lasted 8000 miles (to be fair to the dealer paid for them under warranty/ by them, but again we "discussed" driving style!) The service chap reported warping/ lipping and that the wear on the disks was similar to what they would expect at 22000 miles plus. I really enjoy the car, it's
drivability and comfort, so much so that when the new tsi comes out I'd gladly buy one- as long as the breaks can
cope! Any techi help appreciated.
juan37 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juan37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 3:05pm
A Problem I obserrved, is when someone washes car, some sand particles get catched betwen the disks and the pads.
You dont heared a strange sound after washing your car?

One optión to reduce this Problem, is to move first in reverse the car before take it out from the washing, because the sand particles have less chance to get catched betwen the disks and the pads.
roykssop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roykssop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Doorw4yS Doorw4yS wrote:

Hi, I have a 14 reg Up just had its 40000 mile service (...)
 Any techi help appreciated.

I have a Citigo '12 with 90kkm. First disks and pads replace was at 35kkm, second at 60kkm and third at 75kkm. Now on 90kkm service decided in cooperation with Skoda Poland to change both hubs because warped on hubs is 0,02mm (the norm is exactly 0,02mm for hubs and 0,04mm for disks). I think You have the same situation as mine.

Edited by roykssop - 22 Jul 2016 at 3:35pm
uphu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uphu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by roykssop roykssop wrote:

I have a Citigo '12 with 90kkm. First disks and pads replace was at 35kkm, second at 60kkm and third at 75kkm. Now on 90kkm service decided in cooperation with Skoda Poland to change both hubs because warped on hubs is 0,02mm (the norm is exactly 0,02mm for hubs and 0,04mm for disks). I think You have the same situation as mine.
This is catastrophic. My Opel still has its original disks and pads at 90kkm. The disks and pads of my VW Up has to be changed at 45kkm. Volkswagen asks a horrible price for the disks and pads. Volswagen are rubbish and they are known to be cheating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic