FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

Wet foot wells in UP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SadAng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadAng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet foot wells in UP!
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:40am
I bought a lovely new Up! In February this year. It had been a courtesy car since September.
Within weeks I found the foot wells full of water. The garage happily arranged to look at the problem. When I went to pick it up they said it had been the window. They said they had fixed it and dried it out. One feel of the carpets showed this wasn’t the case.
I now see from this forum that this was a problem back in 2012!
Has anyone else experienced this recently and what was the solution?
I am extremely disappointed as I thought buying a new car was going to give me piece of mind.

Edited by SadAng - 13 May 2018 at 9:42am
Sponsored Links

MrBroombastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrBroombastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:14pm
Sometimes rotten leaves build up under the scuttle panel (the black plastic trim below the windscreen where the wipers are mounted) this blocks up the drain holes and causes rain water to enter the car through the heat outlets in the footwells. Normally only happens in older cars that spent a lot of time parked under trees. Should be a simple job to remove the panel and clear the blockage. Drying the carpets could take a lot longer! Best to get it sorted before any bad smells start.
SadAng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadAng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:20pm
Thanks for the advice. The fact that it was registered in September and I bought it in February makes me surprised that that would be the case already. They have now told me that it was the windscreen that hadn’t been put in properly. They are returning the car tomorrow so I hope the issue is sorted. I worry about the damage done that I can’t see under the carpets. When I first got the car it smelt strongly of deodorant but I thought it was from being valeted. Watch this space.
MrBroombastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrBroombastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:28pm
That's bad luck! I wouldn't be too worried about damage as it's only had ingress for a short while. The deodorant smell could be the stuff they use to do air conditioning refresh, that's got a 'dusty' deodorant smell. If you start getting a musty damp smell that hangs around you might want to insist on the carpet/underlay is replaced.
ThatUp!GTI View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatUp!GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:27am
I would return the car or have it exchanged, not acceptable on such a new car. 

Tbh as soon as i had found the water it would have been returned. 
GTi, 3dr pearl black, remapped, lowered, now wrapped satin grey.
shakotan.VIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakotan.VIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by ThatUp!GTI ThatUp!GTI wrote:

From a legal standpoint, you have to give the dealership/manufacturer 3 attempts at fixing a fault before you can demand they refund or replace a vehicle.
bumbleMii View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumbleMii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Does it still happen with the AC turned off? As it's possible it could be a blocked evaporator drain.
'13 Seat Mii sport, tornado red, all the retrofits.
whats up View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by SadAng SadAng wrote:

I bought a lovely new Up! In February this year. It had been a courtesy car since September.
Within weeks I found the foot wells full of water. The garage happily arranged to look at the problem. When I went to pick it up they said it had been the window. They said they had fixed it and dried it out. One feel of the carpets showed this wasn’t the case.
I now see from this forum that this was a problem back in 2012!
Has anyone else experienced this recently and what was the solution?
I am extremely disappointed as I thought buying a new car was going to give me piece of mind.

Its hardly a new car if it's been used as a courtesy car for six months. It's not something I would consider buying as courtesy cars tend to get a lot of abuse. it will still be under warranty so make sure they get it fixed and try to push them for some new carpets.   
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
ThatUp!GTI View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatUp!GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by shakotan.VIP shakotan.VIP wrote:

Originally posted by ThatUp!GTI ThatUp!GTI wrote:

From a legal standpoint, you have to give the dealership/manufacturer 3 attempts at fixing a fault before you can demand they refund or replace a vehicle.

Even if not "fit for purpose"? 
GTi, 3dr pearl black, remapped, lowered, now wrapped satin grey.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic