FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

what is your fuel consumption

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rollelarsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollelarsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is your fuel consumption
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:40pm
Hello everyone I am new at this forum just bought a brand new vw up 75ps.
at first I would like to say my english is not the best since it is quite a long time since I graduated from school :-)

But to the topic at hand I bought the vw up for the low consumption of Petrol /gasoline it states in the documentation of the car 3.9ltrs /100km.

I have quite a long drive everday to and back from work at a average it consumes about 0.4l/10km the lowest I managed was 0.37 and now we are talking qualified eco driving and at a speed of 85-90 km/h 
rolling down with neutral as soon it is possible.

Sponsored Links

minimax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:54pm
Motorway run in the "90" PS TSI version yesterday at an average speed of 81 Km/h and not trying too hard, my up! gave 80.1 MPG over a distance of 175KM   and I think that is 3.53 litres per 100KM.  
That is with one fat old man inside and tyres at the lowest pressure for comfort.
It is a lot cheaper than my old Mercedes which never drank less than twice as much!
Car makers lie about consumption figures and I do not know if you are in town traffic or in a place with lots of hills but you are getting very good mileage - certainly better than advertised.

Edited by minimax - 07 Oct 2017 at 9:01pm
up! to mischief
Certus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by rollelarsson rollelarsson wrote:

Hello everyone I am new at this forum just bought a brand new vw up 75ps.
at first I would like to say my english is not the best since it is quite a long time since I graduated from school :-)

But to the topic at hand I bought the vw up for the low consumption of Petrol /gasoline it states in the documentation of the car 3.9ltrs /100km.

I have quite a long drive everday to and back from work at a average it consumes about 0.4l/10km the lowest I managed was 0.37 and now we are talking qualified eco driving and at a speed of 85-90 km/h 

Hi,

I have a 2017 registered Move Up! (1.0 60 ps ) and have been monitoring my fuel consumption using a data plug connected via an app on my smartphone to display instant and average fuel consumption.

I compare the computed calculation with a that calculated using miles covered versus fuel used each time I fill the tank. My daily route entails a 50 mile round trip comprising approximately 30 miles of dual carriageway and 20 miles of urban roads. I don't pay any particular attention to an economic driving style and generally just keep up with the traffic.

The average result over just under 6000 miles using both electronic and manual calculations is:

54 MPG which I think equates to 19km per litre.

Regards
Brian

Sub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:44am
Hi rollelarsson welcome to the forum.
SpikeXtreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpikeXtreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 7:45pm
I have a 2014 Move UP! 60 bhp and i filled the tank and reset the trip computer and recorded the distance it did to get to half.
It took 180 miles and 3.8 gallons to get to half so 180/3.8 = 47 miles to the gallon.

Not so impressive but not the most accurate way of measuring it.

I don't have a data plug or Garmin Maps and More fitted,and i'm not so sure i would totally believe they are totally accurate, considering the VW cheat software scandal

Edited by SpikeXtreme - 13 Oct 2017 at 7:47pm
Jimlad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by SpikeXtreme SpikeXtreme wrote:

I have a 2014 Move UP! 60 bhp and i filled the tank and reset the trip computer and recorded the distance it did to get to half.
It took 180 miles and 3.8 gallons to get to half so 180/3.8 = 47 miles to the gallon.

I don't have a data plug or Garmin Maps and More fitted,and i'm not so sure i would totally believe they are totally accurate, considering the VW cheat software scandal

The fuel tank guage being on half doesnt necessarily mean you have used half the fuel.

You need to do a brim to brim test as the tanks are a funny shape

Edited by Jimlad - 16 Oct 2017 at 9:13am
Certus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Jimlad Jimlad wrote:

Originally posted by SpikeXtreme SpikeXtreme wrote:

The fuel tank guage being on half doesnt necessarily mean you have used half the fuel.

You need to do a brim to brim test as the tanks are a funny shape

I fully agree  with the above and am achieving my circa 55 MPG with a combination of computed values and manual brim to brim confirmation.

Regards
Brian
matt-drummer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt-drummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by rollelarsson rollelarsson wrote:

]I have quite a long drive everday to and back from work at a average it consumes about 0.4l/10km the lowest I managed was 0.37 and now we are talking qualified eco driving and at a speed of 85-90 km/h 

You will use less fuel by not putting it in neutral when going downhill. Modern fuel injected cars use no fuel if you leave it in gear with your foot off the accelerator completely, in neutral the engine uses fuel to keep it turning, in gear the inertia of the car keeps the engine turning whilst using no fuel whatsoever.

Do an internet search if you don't believe me or want more details.
minimax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:22pm
I am not a qualified eco driver but still beat your figures with ease I tgink that you need to learn a little more about how the car behaves because the techniques you have been taught are now very different due to advances in technology. The old burn and coast methods are not as efficient, for example as using a constant throttle and letting the engine electronics gradually lean out the mixture. Then there is the distance travelled. My car takes 5 km to reach 90 which is the best temperature. If my journey is short, it pays to warm the engine up more quickly! Longer trips even out the warm up time and the average consumption just keeps dropping.
up! to mischief
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic