FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the VW UP Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello!

We have a VW UP! Gallery and all the latest VW UP! News that is well worth checking out too.

What Petrol Do You Use ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What petrol goes in your UP!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [28.13%]
11 [34.38%]
10 [31.25%]
2 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ThatUp!GTI View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatUp!GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by wellfan wellfan wrote:

I always use supermarket petrol and diesel to avoid any chance of additives. Been running scared ever since the 'Formula Shell' fiasco. I do add an additive to my diesel, but only after doing some very thorough research.
Anyway, going to shut up now as this subject can tend to lead to some very heated debate when discussed on other forums. Hopefully we are a much more civilised bunch on here.
Smile

You do realise it's the like of Shell, BP etc that supply supermarkets? 
Sponsored Links

wellfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:18am

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do know that all of the petrol here in Scotland comes from Grangemouth, and is exactly the same petrol wherever its destination may be. My neighbour's brother was a tanker driver out of there for years. It was he who first advised me that all the petrol is the same, its just the additives that are different. These are added later, but the refined petrol is a uniform supply.
Basically my point was more about avoiding, as best possible, any additives. Maybe a bit weird, but if we were all the same it would be a boring old world.
whats up View Drop Down
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whats up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by wellfan wellfan wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do know that all of the petrol here in Scotland comes from Grangemouth, and is exactly the same petrol wherever its destination may be. My neighbour's brother was a tanker driver out of there for years. It was he who first advised me that all the petrol is the same, its just the additives that are different. These are added later, but the refined petrol is a uniform supply.
Basically my point was more about avoiding, as best possible, any additives. Maybe a bit weird, but if we were all the same it would be a boring old world.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's best to avoid additives.  I know the quantities are small but if you buy a litre of petrol you get a litre of petrol. If you buy a litre of petrol with additives you don't get a litre of petrol, you get slightly less than a litre of petrol plus some additives. The more additives they put it, the more expensive the fuel, so you're effectively paying more to get less petrol.     
Roger Green - 2016 Move Up! 3 door black.
passerby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passerby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm
Is there any bad petrol?

Just use whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy your car.Thumbs Up.

Harry
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatUp!GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by passerby passerby wrote:

Is there any bad petrol?

Harry

Yes there is. Always go to a busier petrol station, petrol has a limited lifespan and loses it's octane rating over time. 
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatUp!GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:46am
Originally posted by giddyyup giddyyup wrote:

The ECU on an up isn't able to detect the different RON of fuel and adapt accordingly. Therefore using higher octane petrol is literally pointless and any perceived benefits are purely placebo.

Your evidence on that?

Afaik most modern cars have an adaptive ecu which gets it's values from all the sensors in the car. 
JackieT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackieT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:34am
Dam good question - I have often wondered that also
Azur Blue 1.0 90 BHP TSi Hi Up. Black 17' Alloys, black roof, black wing mirrors
UP! Enthusiast
UP! Enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatUp!GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by JackieT JackieT wrote:

Dam good question - I have often wondered that also

Afaik all modern cars have systems which measure ignition timing, airflow so they will adjust to changes in fueling, air temps and density etc....
Leif View Drop Down
UP! Expert
UP! Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ThatUp!GTI ThatUp!GTI wrote:

Originally posted by passerby passerby wrote:

Is there any bad petrol?

Harry

Yes there is. Always go to a busier petrol station, petrol has a limited lifespan and loses it's octane rating over time. 

Presumably the lifetime is such that this advice is not necessary with the exception of small rural petrol stations in the middle of nowhere? 
http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Mainframe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:26pm
I use best grade available.   And I will use an A brand, whenever I can. No reason not too

Ecu i understand constantly adjust itself for fuel quality. Not that's I think you will get more power, rather, you should get optimum performance to VW spec.

...and in a low powered car like the 75 pony Up!, you need very pony working for you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic