Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once apon a time I was a complete idiot and decided not to buy "Maps and More" when I especially had the money and the option. Why I didn't was simply because I grew up in a ruffer than ruff councel estate in West Yorkshire and stuff like this gets nicked every single night. But I now live in the Bavarian countryside which is about as scary as a box of kittens playing with a ball of wool, soevents like this are rarer than hens teeth. I should have bought Maps and More so now i'm annoyed with myself, very annoyed.To make amends I would concider swapping out the head unit for something with high tech features that my car is currently missing, sadley the car is limited to the 1 DIN size once a new facia has been bought unless you go bonkers and remove the heating controls, which is not what most people would concider.

The bigchallenge hereis that the new head unit MUST be able to give access to GPS either via itself or via a smart phone. That's where things get messy, expensive and/or with possible draw backs.

So I offer to you, the good people of up!owners club to have a say on whats hot and what's not. Below is a list of 1 DIN head units that offer more features than my current VW RCD215 stereo and can give access to GPS, please offer your thoughts and comments on the list belowas it would mean a great deal to me. I will purchase something from the list in 8 weeks ( 29 June 2014), I just need convincing by you lovely people.

The list ( please feel free to make more suggestions ) :

Pioneer AVH-X7500BT ( bluetooth ) with the GPS unit AVIC U250 *EXPENSIVE*
Kenwood KVT-696 with the GPS unit KNA G620 and Blutooth unit KCA BT300 *EXPENSIVE*
LG MAX620B ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*
Oxygen O CAR ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*
Philips CMD310 ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*
Philips CMD305a ( Android all in one ) *Cheap*
Boss 758DBI ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*
IRoc Iphone ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*
XML 8100 ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*
Medion P62024 ( Iphone all in one ) *Cheap*

That's all I have found so far. The LG MAX620B is the cheapest I have found at 78 euros.
The Pioneer with all the extras is the most expensive, the screen also gets in the way of the heating controls too.

So if youdidn't have"Maps and More"I'm very interested to see what you all would choose and why.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just buy a Maps and More from your dealer, I'm pretty sure it's just a case of plugging it in and much cheaper than £570!! I haven't got my Up! yet so I'm no expert though :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
reimoboy said:
Just buy a Maps and More from your dealer, I'm pretty sure it's just a case of plugging it in and much cheaper than £570!! I haven't got my Up! yet so I'm no expert though :)

<div ="msg">

Im sure its a factory option so if you dont order it when you buy your
new car the wiring or plug isnt in (only applies to Take and Move
models).

·
Registered
16 Posts
reimoboy said:
That will teach me to shut up if I don't know what I'm talking about
I only know as I was going to do the same thing till I looked at my dashboard in my Move Up! lol

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Your comparison West Yorkshire / Bavaria was funny to read!

Have you already been to a VW dealer in/around Munich?

The only "problem" might be the M&M language.
As far as I know you have to choose during the first setup - and then English should be chosen ...

The VW M&M was in the "Auto, Motor und Sport" test and has been tested "excellent" (sehr gut). Was in the German news last week.

You made a mistake once - why making it twice by not asking for the price at a VW dealer?

·
Registered
467 Posts
The m+m retrofit has been already done and there was a topic with all steps and pics in Modifcation section, but now it's gone..

to retrofit m+m You will need:
- Garmin navigation unit
- navigation stand (leg)
- wires

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for contributing. Sadley there isn't a slot in my dash awaiting Maps and More, i'd need to follow the instructions b82ry has kindly supplied a link to. Looks like an easy job but my mrs would surely boot me in the spuds if she found me dremling the new car.
Cadfael, thanks for the heads up, luckly my German is ok so no problem and my ladywas born and bred here.

The list of head units above were a less aggressive effort to retrieve the Maps and More experience without hacking the dash but I will pop into VW and see if they can get one of their little grease monkeys tocut theholefor me. Might even be cheaper if I could supply all the M&M parts rather than them buying it all in at VW prices. I should be able to pop in over the weekend and ask, i'll let you know how what they say. These are exciting times for me, I do love gadgets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My local VW dealership isn't interested in a Maps and More retrofit, said I should consider the 1 DIN options to avoid cutting the dash, alsosaid the price of a flip out head unit with sat nav software but with lots more connectivity for smartphones would be a more future proof option for similar money.

So I either fit Maps and more myself while the wife isn't looking or go the 1 DIN direction. I must say my courage is growing and I do own a dremel !!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
1 din..........much more than M&M can offer go on, you know you want to!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Privatedoc,I think I once read you would like to also fit a flip out head unit, which one would you go for ( Keep in mind GPS ) ?

Mjölner, the only Thing that I really think gives M&M the edge is it has Access to the cars data, like showing which door hasn't been closed properly ect ect.

I do wonder if there are any after market head units that could also read the cars data the same way M&M does ?? That would be the answer to all my Needs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to keep bumping my own thread; the final decision has landed !

After a lot of debating I have decided to have the Maps and More installed in my UP as opposed to a 1 DIN set up due to the difficulties aftermarket units pose when updating their sat nav software ( only 1 DIN units ). Either there is no update what so ever or the cost per map is just a complete joke also there is no chance of a Lifetime map option so i'd be paying out for every single update forever. I find this very backwards.

I hope my original list of Head Units can help out other people who want to change out the head unit for something more high tech if they don't want to chop into the dash.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I wish there was a 1 din sat nav/radio/dab that folded downwards rather than upwards....would be ideal for the up!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I had made a decision, Maps and More was the way to goand I have tried my best toconvince her that the car was in well controlled hands when the dremmel was to make an appearance, I mean, come on, Ionce built a four story house with my own hands when i was 22,a dremmel should be a tad easier.All the part numbers for M&M where ready to place an order but still no luck with the wife.

I'vehad beenhoping that a visit to the localVW dealership would sway her once she had a chance to use M&M but NO, didn't work. So for a few days i've put the idea to the back on my mind, I need to build a Pit BBQ(UDS) soonso my thoughts turned to that until 6pm yesterday eveningwhen she came home with a new company car, a fully loadedAudi A6 Quatro Estate. All she could talk about was how great the FLIP OUT head unit is and that both Sat Nav and Reversing camera showed on the screen. Oh and it's a bit fast.

Now the M&M idea has been shot, dismembered and buried. The 1 DIN options are still more then welcome. BACK TO THE START. It's time to hit the Car Audio forums for a proper good look. As Privatdoc has already mentioned, a flip down screen would be the best option so long as it has good Sat Nav maps and updates. To be continued....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts