Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a bit quiet on the forum lately - as I've been too busy driving the up!
Having taken delivery on 2nd October, I was still using my 1-series for the first week, so only did 70 miles!
However, I started using it every day on 10th October and it's now done 1,200 miles, so the honeymoon is now over.
With the up! having been on the market for 6 months now, there have been a number of reviews on this forum - so rather than repeat a lot of what's already been said, I thought I would try make some personal observations on the good and not so good, which may prove useful for those still thinking about buying an up!

Yes it really does punch well above it's weight in terms of ride and refinement and I've noticed the rear tyre noise in wet weather is greatly reduced from earlier car I test drove - I'm not sure if this a 2013MY change, or due to my car being a 5 door.

Although there are no soft-feel plastics in the car, VW have managed to make the car look and feel of a much higher quality than the fittings should.

The space inside is as good as I remembered, and the raised driving position and space under the front seats mean the rear is far more comfortable (for two) than the 1-series BMW!

Some of the small details are great - like the parcel shelf which locks in an upright position, the boot 'false floor' which drops down above the lower floor board, and the instrument cluster lighting which comes on automatically when travelling on shaded roads. It feels like a proper VW - infact, when you shut the doors, including the rears, "it sounds just like a Golf" - unlike my daughters Aygo, which sounds like closing the lid on a biscuit tin.

I know the standard lights have been criticised by some, but I found the dip to be as good as the BMW - but mainbeam was rather 'thin' due to the constraints of 2xH4 bulbs rather than 4xH7. As aresult I've fitted some Philips +100% bulbs which have made a massive, legal improvement.

My up! makes all the noises that have been reported on this Forum and this is the one area where I find the up! strange. As a 'city' car, I would have thought that the car would have been at it's best in this environment. However, the diesely sound of the engine up to 2,000rpm, the transmission noises (both clutch and gearbox/final drive) detract from the refinement in town. I'm sure the noises are generic but my daughter's 75,000 mile Aygo's engine and gearbox are better in this respect! However - show the up! an open road, dual-carriageway or even a motorway and, for a car of it's size it is brilliant! Fortunately it is this latter situation which reflects 90%+ of my driving. Perhaps, in town, the up! is a victim of two things - it's generally refined environment and the low engine speed VW encourage you to change gear.

Fuel consumption? Well so far it's averaged 53mpg - based on brim-to-brim top-ups. The M&M gives the average at 60mpg, so as others have discovered it is about 10% over-optimistic. I am reasonably happy with the actual fuel consumption - it's pretty much what I expected and getting much more would require extreme care or only travelling downhill.

So it's not perfect, but it is bloody good. Roll on March and the first 10,000 mile service!

PS: Having ordered the Sound Pack - I would highly recommend it. The sound quality - and particularly the level of base - is very good with this pack and far superior to the standard set-up in the BMW I've just got rid of.Edited by: Upmeister

·
Registered
113 Posts
I test drove the Skoda vesion on Saturday, and immediately noticed the clutch noise when changing gear and the transmission noise at lower revs. Non of it bothered me, as all my new Fiats did exactly the same!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Does shutting the front doors sound like a golf? Because I've only ordered a 3 door haha

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Upmeister said:
My up! makes all the noises that have been reported on this Forum and this is the one area where I find the up! strange. As a 'city' car, I would have thought that the car would have been at it's best in this environment. However, the diesely sound of the engine up to 2,000rpm, the transmission noises (both clutch and gearbox/final drive) detract from the refinement in town.
I found that the diesel sound pretty much went away with driving. I've done 12,000 miles, and it has a nice throaty noise when revved at speed, otherwise it's reminiscent of the old air cooled Beetle but quieter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jack,

The bulbs I bought are the Philips 12342-XVS2-H4 X-Treme Power 100% Kit (i.e not the blue ones).

I have also fitted the 12496-SV-PY21 Silver Vision indicator bulbs - not only do they look better when not in use, but the silver coating reflects the orange light back onto the indicator reflector, making the light appear bigger and brighter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
It tells you in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Am jealous of all those that have done over 1000 miles,had mine just over a month and have only just done over 500 miles.

Yes, yes, I could just go for a few epic drives, but as the up was bought primarily to bring down my fuel costs down, that kind of defeats the purpose.

Good review, cannot wait to be part of the 'run in' club.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Upmeister, I couldn't agree more with your comments about town v country driving. In town you hear all those little noises it makes, and I don't mind that, but on the open road it's brilliant, and really, for such a small car, not that noisy.

Lief, it's good to know the engine goes on settling down. I've already noticed a significant difference after nearly 4000 miles.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Leif said:
I've always found the Haynes manuals very good. I assume there is one for the Up.

It's far too early in the car's life to have a Haynes manual, unfortunately. And some cars never get them anyway, such as the unlamented StreetKa.

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts