Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
myup has just had its first service and I thought I would write down my opinions of the car so far.

My dealer is nice enough but they told me would take 40 mins and i was there for an hour and a half.

The car has just rolled on 9800 miles and I am just back from the dealers first service. The car itself is.. ok. I do 140 miles a day when I go into the office. the car is comfortable enough for this distance. I have noticed that the fuel consumption is a blatant lie. I can full up my car each day, the 140 mile round trip to the same petrol station and pump. it still costs me £15 a day which is calculates to about 20mpg less than what is indicated. I drive like a saint, not speeding or accelerating hard at all.

I bought a spare wheel, jack, and other parts today for £100. I still have to find a tire which I will get next week. I was worried about having to use that can of silly string they provide. its a joke really. My advice to anyone is to get it at ordering time for the £50.

Before we had all this cold weather I got 4 winter tires for the up. the price was less then £350 fitted from an independent. they were made in japan yokohamas so I am really happy about that. The tires are definitely worth it and will I will defiantly use them / buy them again for another. I truly think that it should be the law in this country to have these things fitted. The winter tires are slightly quieter than the stock continental rubber fitted. I found this out when I swapped back.

I have been listening to a lot of audiobook and a really crappy thing about the maps and more is that it doesnt store the position of the track, so if i'm in the middle of a 2 hour mp3, all is lost and I never get to hear who did it. :(

Another bad feature is that the electric windscreen buttons are not both on the drivers side so if you are a lonely driver (me) the window to the left of you will sit closed forever. I wasnt aware of the headed wing mirrors dial until I guessed of out sheer luck.

Some of the trim doesn't fit well. my right hand always wanders down to the drivers door handle inside the car and to feel a very large burr or overhang of the plastic molding.

The fuel tank is woefully small. at 35L I top up and put in £20, 3 days a week. It really wanted a 100liter long range tank option.

The power of the engine is.. adequate.. just. MPI defiantly stands for more power intented.

·
Registered
811 Posts
All mpg figures are a blatant lie from every manufacturer. 10 to 20mpg less than published figures is about right.

Most of the other grumbles you must surely have noticed before you bought the car, they are hardly hidden.

What about the positives? If it is an unmitigated disaster, Bingalau is looking to buy another Up.

Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its satisfactory as a means of transport. Its like driving a train, without feedback or emotion. I always look forward to the weekend when I can drive my mx-5.

·
Registered
17 Posts
140 miles a day commute ? not sure I'd be choosing an up! as the car to be doing that in.

tom said:
Some of the trim doesn't fit well. my right hand always wanders down to the drivers door handle inside the car and to feel a very large burr or overhang of the plastic molding.

I sat in an up! black in my local dealers this week and the glovebox door was like that, big mismatch to where it closed into the dash.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think you will be in a minority on the forum with that opinion.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may be in with a chance for the forums filthiest car.

Edited by: tom

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well the point of a forum is to get discussion goingI do a daily commute of 21 miles each way travelling from Solihull to Coventry
I find the mpg of last summer of 56mpg has not continued into the winter, but have still managed 52mpg.
In my view it is a superb car and as I has said before we are a 2 UP faimily.Red high UP and UP black.
I have no experience of the take up engine but the 75bhp engine is responsive and I look forward to getting into my UP each day.

·
Registered
811 Posts
As a fellow 2 Upper I completely agree, I have a High Up and a Take Up and really enjoy driving both.

·
Registered
811 Posts
tom said:

My Take Up is getting there. I must wash it.....

The tailgate doesn't half suck up the muck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
tom said:
its satisfactory as a means of transport. Its like driving a train, without feedback or emotion. I always look forward to the weekend when I can drive my mx-5.
I have to admit that like most people here presumably (?) I've never driven a train but I'd imagine it would be an absolutely fantastic experience especially if it was a steam train. I also have to admit that looking forward to a weekend drive in a Mazda MX5 says a great deal about Tom!
Still, very nice to own a car specially for the weekend.

If you want a car with a 100 litre fuel tank then look no further than the 105 litre fuel capacity of a 5 litre V8 Supercharged Range Rover but beware the 75kg or so that this would add to the weight of your VW up! when brimmed.

My conclusion is that Tom should be driving a specially commissioned Range Rover Convertible and not a VW up! with the real bonus being that he'd only need the one car. Mind you, I don't know how far a 5 litre V8 Supercharged Range Rover would travel on £20 of petrol.

Edited by: Robbyrook

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
tom said:

F me! When I saw the pic before reading I was expecting to read 'I'm thinking on spraying my up! Grey' but is that just muck lol I couldn't do that as soon as some dust lands on my car I got to wash it! I just love doing it lol and every excuse I get I do!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Loving the photo

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
tom said:
I can full up my car each day, the 140 mile round trip to the same petrol station and pump. it still costs me £15 a day which is calculates to about 20mpg less than what is indicated. I drive like a saint, not speeding or accelerating hard at all.
My calculations assuming £1.40 per gallon give you 58mpg, which in cold weather is extremely good, and few petrol cars will equal that. Yes the official figures are a lie, they fiddle the car, but 58mpg is excellent. I get almost the same figure at the moment, and I was getting over 65mpg in the Summer, or rather in the spell of warm weather at the end of 'Summer'. I don't think we can complain about these fuel consumption figures, although the government should force manufacturers to publish figures for unmodified cars.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I wonder how much drag dirt causes. It must be quite a bit.
My polished car always seems to fly.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Robbyrook said:
tom said:
fair commentary,

perhaps I should clarify, What I would really like, short of wining the lottery is a car with a 1000mile range, while getting the 60-70mpg of the up, costing the same as the up. While I remember that top gear did various long range 1000 mile runs, and economy run in a jaaaaagg getting only 45mpg isnt good enough for me.

Its a fair point as the real question is the tradeoff between size of fuel tank and fuel economy. I would rather have a car with a 1 liter fuel tank that gets 10000mpg than a range rover with a 105 liter tank that gets 0.2mpg. Seeing as its VW and German, I'm sure they have done the math to ze lasht pehsent and arrived at the optimal petrol tank size.

I think VW and MB do various models with a long range with extra tanks on their £109,000 cars, but that is a little to expensive for me.

When I spoke of the UP is like driving a train I was thinking of -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1T0E_70eY#t=04m08s (warning: light profanity), as it was quite similar to my first drive in my up.

obligatory close up with a wide angle lens

Edited by: tom

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Tom. What a lovely White High Up! BMT you've got! I have a 5 door Tornado red one, and often wondered about getting mine in white. It's a shame you've hit a rocky patch with your Up!. It sounds like you would be better off with a Fabia, or Octavia Greenline. I love my Up! which is miles ahead of my last car (Toyota Yaris 1.0) in almost every aspect. I hope you can find a car to fit the bill.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can't you add a bigger fuel tank? I've read about people changing suspension, engines, transmission... isn't a fuel tank far simpler than that? I mean, I wouldn't know what to do at all, but dedicated "modder" workshops should, I suppose...

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm sure you could take out the back seats and plumb in a 200 litre drum. That would give a range of about 2000 miles at 45mpg.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts