Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, This is my first post as I only recently just bought my first Volkswagen Up! I’m loving the car but there is one issue with it.
The 12 volt socket isn’t working. I assumed the fuse had blown but I checked all the fuses at the drivers footwell and they are all good.
I tried to find a fuse diagram but my fuse box seems to be different to the diagrams I’ve found online.
Can anyone tell me which fuse is for the 12V socket maybe it is missing and I just need to insert a fuse or maybe it’s located somewhere else in the car? I’ll upload a picture of the fuse box in my car.
It’s a 2016 model.

Thanks in advance.

Automotive lighting Trunk Gas Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

·
Registered
68 Posts
HI On mine its 46, the 6th one in from left on bottom, It will probably be a 15 or 20 Amp. Check for 5p pieces in the bottom of the socket first !
There should be a key on the underside of the lid and there are a few articles if you search this site for cigar lighter fuse. good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI On mine its 46, the 6th one in from left on bottom, It will probably be a 15 or 20 Amp. Check for 5p pieces in the bottom of the socket first !
There should be a key on the underside of the lid and there are a few articles if you search this site for cigar lighter fuse. good luck!
Thanks for the reply Clarke219. I tested all the fuses and they all work. I was hoping maybe the 12V fuse is missing. However, I cannot find a fuse box diagram which matches mine in order to check this.

I also checked the 12V socket itself and there’s nothing in it and it looks undamaged.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your fuse board looks like my Daughter's and that is fuse 46.
If you have a multimeter, remove fuse 46, prod one side and then the other with the =ve proble to ground. With the ignition on you should see 12V on onw side. Whilst testing, switch ignition on and off. This will indicate it COULD be the right fuse but not guaranteed.
if neither side shows 12 volts to ground ( any unpainted point on the chassis) you probably need some help as it sounds like a wiring fault maybe via the ignition switch.
If one side shows 12 V, put the fuse back and prod the centre pin in the socket to ground. if no Volts, switch off and check continuity (Ohms), centre pin on socket to the fuse +ve side and then the internal side of socket to ground. If you just prize and pull the gear lever gaiter off you should be able to see the socket connections and look for any loose wire.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your fuse board looks like my Daughter's and that is fuse 46.
If you have a multimeter, remove fuse 46, prod one side and then the other with the =ve proble to ground. With the ignition on you should see 12V on onw side. Whilst testing, switch ignition on and off. This will indicate it COULD be the right fuse but not guaranteed.
if neither side shows 12 volts to ground ( any unpainted point on the chassis) you probably need some help as it sounds like a wiring fault maybe via the ignition switch.
If one side shows 12 V, put the fuse back and prod the centre pin in the socket to ground. if no Volts, switch off and check continuity (Ohms), centre pin on socket to the fuse +ve side and then the internal side of socket to ground. If you just prize and pull the gear lever gaiter off you should be able to see the socket connections and look for any loose wire.

Hope this helps
Thanks again for your reply. I’m not great with electrics and I was hoping the fuse was simply blown and needed to be replaced. I checked each fuses continuity with a multimeter and they were all fine.
I didn’t know I could check the power to the fuse box. I’ll follow your advice and test the fuse box to see if there’s a wiring fault.
it’ll probably be a day or two until I get around to checking but I’ll post an update when I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts