Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I didn't want to spend the winter driving on the 14" wheels (designed to be compatible with snow chains) I decided to investigate a 15" soution that would allow me to use the standard 185/55x15 tyres.

After some research I came up with some steel wheels originally made for the Mk11 Golf GTI, Scirroco and Corrado and still available from Mytyres.co.uk! The wheels are 15" x 6" wide and I had them supplied with Pirelli Snow Control W190 S3 tyres of the correct size.

I also managed to get hold of a set of appropriate centre caps from Ebay (6XO 601 169 A/F).

The picture below shows the result. They are exactly what I wanted and IMHO they really suit the up! - the retro feel seems to suit the car really. So well, I think I prefer them to the alloys!

See what you think....

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Looks good, i was thinking about them too.
If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost?

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the current price as tyres seem to change almost daily and the Pirelli's were on offer at the time, but about £100 per corner (plus shipping from Germany) and £25 for the centre caps. They were delivered from mytyres in less than a week.

I had already decided to get the Pirellis because they were highly rated for wet grip - we don't much snow down in Gloucestershire - and were good for economy and noise. First impressions support the ratings.

The final factor in going for the 15" solution was that I couldn't imagine 14" wheels on an up! R/GT!!!Edited by: Upmeister

1 - 3 of 3 Posts