Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

My lovely 3yr old TSi failed it's first MOT today, on emissions. Apparently 12 months of lock down and low speed use had blocked its pipes !

MOT man offered to 'Clean my injection system' with a special pump and special fluid, only 拢150 馃槒

I declined and advised him I was going to give it an Italian Tune Up (free to me) and I'd be back in 20 minutes. Proceeded to the nearest dual carriageway and drove it for a round trip of 20 miles in 2nd & 3rd gear, averaging 4500 rpm and holding 6000 rpm for a few seconds every so often before dropping back to 4500. Usual disclaimers apply

Drove straight back into the test station, passed with flying colours. Total cost 拢35

Lesson learnt, which I knew from the old cars, is that an Italian Tune Up always helps and, on the UP, is a good idea just before the MOT test especially in the current circumstances

Every day is a school day 馃榿

Stay safe

Registered
Did my Mrs' Tsi just the same 2 weeks ago, just the day before it's first MOT. Passed with very low emissions....

Reactions: North London Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my defence, it was my first ever emissions MOT. 30+ yrs of company cars, never MOT'd, and old Triumphs that are exempt so I sleep walked into the UP's MOT. As I said, everyday is a school day 馃う鈥嶁檪锔忦煠

Registered
I used to do this with my Smart the day before the MOT. It was a diesel red lined at only 4000 max so i found a 20 mile round trip up the motorway at 55 MPH 2000 RPM was more than enough.

The car always passed the MOT even the last one at 10 years old before i sold it.

I will do the same with my UP GTI before the MOT, but that will not be until 2022. I think a run at a steady 2500 RPM which will be around 60 MPH will do the trick.

I do find in normal running on the motorway that at 60 MPH in 6th gear, the engine is a little on the loud side. Not excessive but i do notice it. However at 55 MPH around 2200 RPM it is much quieter and more relaxed.

The longest trip i do a 100 mile round trip to Blackpool means the journey takes 5 minutes longer each way driving at 55 instead of 60. As a retired OAP i am not in any hurry and 5 minutes is not important. I prefer a nice relaxing drive.
Now where did i put my pipe and slippers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts