Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

Tomorrow is 11/11

AT 11:00am Please observe the 2 minutes Silence.
This is in respect to all the brave men and women that fought and died so we may have the freedoms we enjoy today.

2 minutes is a small amount of time from your day to pay respect.

Thank you

LEST WE FORGET.

Edited by: GarethB

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Gareth,

we don't have this remembrance day here in Germany.
I heard the English still call it "The Great War".

Yesterday we had a two hours documentation about the battle near Ypern ...

The 9th November is "a day of German history" as many things happend that day. The end of WWI, the Hitler putsch, the "Kristallnacht" (75 ago) and the fall of the wall in Berlin ...

11th November has another meaning in Germany.
English might be shocked to see singing and costumed people in the streets of the River Rhine Area. But 11.11. at 11:11 is the start of the carnival season here. We call it the "5th season".

But you are right to remember this date!
It is one of the biggest tragedies of the 20th century and cost so many lifes.
We would surely argue about the reasons for this war and the effects of its end in Versailes. But this is not the right place or time. What remains are so many lifes which could not be lived ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Been to the Carnival here in Germany and few times...

But I also observed the 2 minutes silence no matter where in the world I may be, to reflect on how lucky we are and be thankful and sad about the lives lost.
2 minutes is such a short span of time... it is an insignificant amount of time each year out of lives.
This remembrance is not just for this 1 war... but for all wars and conflicts were good men or women have beard the ultimate sacrifice in the fight against tyranny to bring peace, anywhere on this planet.
This is why we remember.
<i style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px;">
[/i]
<i style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px;"> They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:[/i]
<dd style="line-height: 19px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.</dd><dd style="line-height: 19px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">At the going down of the sun and in the morning,</dd><dd style="line-height: 19px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">We will remember them.</dd><dd style="line-height: 19px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
</dd><dd style="line-height: 19px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">From the Poem by Laurence Binyon, 'For the Fallen'.</dd><dd style="line-height: 19px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Written in 1914, Cliffs of Cornwall, England. </dd>

Edited by: GarethB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts