Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the posts about owners gearboxes that will not select reverse gear without crunching the gearbox, I don't know if the problems are sorted but I thought I would post about something I noticed on My UP.

Normally my gearbox does not crunch when selecting reverse but a few months ago I was not well and the car was not used for a while...... when I reversed off my drive the gearbox crunched in reverse.
Over Christmas there was a period of about 3 days when I did not use the car............ when I next used it the gearbox crunched when selecting reverse again.

Once I drive off (andthe oil is circulating) I have no problems.

Could it be oil related, does the oil drain off the gear assemblies over a few days or can the oil levels ( on those cars with crunching gearboxes ) be a bit low ?

I seem to remember one member saying they use thin oil in these gearboxes !

I may be way off the mark here but all I know is that when I use my UP daily then I have no problems but if the car is left standing for a few days then ( on 2occasions ) the gears crunched.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When my car is out of warranty I might seek advice and see if I can top up with a better quality/thicker oil.

Anyone know if there is a fill/drain plug on the side of the gearbox or it it sealed ?
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a new gearbox recently under warranty,
The problem first became apparent when the car is in reverse at quite high speed, the depress clutch, when the car was coasting back there was a bad metallic sound.
That was only sign, I took it to dealer they replaced the whole box as it was about to fail.

Upon collection they called the next day to "remind me" the car doesn't have syncro mesh. Not accusing me just, reminding me....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you waiting long enough between pushing the clutch fully to the floor and selecting reverse?

Changing type /spec of gearbox oil I wouldnt recommend it you could spoil your forward gear gearchanges doing this. If its thin oil its probably synthetic and is expensive to start with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts