Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe but my baby is 2 years old, even my other half cannot believe time has gone so fast!!! Next we will be needing an MOT, what a drag.

I have to admit that after two years and just on 15,000 miles this little car still brings a smile to my face. Not one thing has dropped off, failed or broken, I have got over leaving the parcel shelf up, can reach the passenger door window switch, maps and more works a treat, and love the heated seats. Yes there is a slight clatter from the gearbox/clutch when the car is cold, in neutral and the cluch disengaged but this goes as soon as the car is warm. I must say I am as happy with the car now as I was 2 years ago. The fuel consumption hovers around 62mpg, the insurance is under £200 fully comp for a year this a cheap car to run.

I also have a Golf 7 1.4 Tsi GT but the up! is often the car of choice if there are 1 or 2 of us travelling. On my usual morning commute the Golf with ACT and stop start will average 48.1mpg, the up on the same route regularly achieves 64mpg despite being a bog standard 75ps High up!with no bluemotion gubins. The up! is comfortable and quite quick on country roads and can cope well with the motorway and always a fun drive. The Golf is great but the up! is also a very capable car and punches far above its size. A real jack russell terrier of a car.

I am sorry that I only have positives to report but thats how the last 2 years of up! motoring have been.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Good to hear. After nearly eighteen months my findings are the same. Nice to have a bit of balance on the forum. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I echo Beevee. I have nothing to say about my Up that is not positive. No gearbox/clutch issues...in fact everything in my experience of just over 1 year of ownership and about 4300 miles is ....low mileage I know ...Good!

Punches far above its size is a good a description.

Go well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great to hear this. My Citigo Sport is coming up for one year old in May. 8K miles so far and totally trouble free.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Very pleased with my new high up too. All my issues with the previous move up have been engineered out of the car ie the 55-75mph whine, the noise it made each time the clutch and plate engaged. The fuel guage now moves in a more linear sweep.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have had our High Up since Nov 2013 and covered over 8,000 miles. Usage varies between quick trip 20 miles down motorway to work - before I retired. This is coupled with trips from Central Scotland to Inverness and further north to go up we country Straths. Wee car has never put a foot wrong. Overall fuel consumption is about 53mpg measure by actual fuel going into the tank rather than optimistic M&M gauge. Love the fact you can drive it like a little limo nice and sedate - or use the revs for a mini pocket-rocket. She-who-must-be-obeyed loves it too.Edited by: ospreywatcher

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had my High Up for 3 weeks now and I do have a couple of niggles. Some of the things that Alan mentioned have not been engineered out of mine, e.g. the clutch/plate noise. There's definitely a snatch on occasions. Also, the plastic clutch pedal can be a bit creaky sometimes. Oh, and my whistling A/C

Still, they are nothing serious and my most recent VW prior to the Up was a Mk VI Golf which was almost totally silent, so I think I'm more sensitive to these things than some folk...

One thing the car doesn't do is rattle and creak like my Fabia vRS did - that sounded quite cheaply put together.

Edited by: Umiamz

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
20 months, 41500 miles (67,000 Km) and a few wee niggles all promptly sorted by a wonderful dealer

without a doubt the BEST ownership experience of any car I've had! simples!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Done 6300 miles since September in our Mii Sport.

Today travelled from Rochester to Blackheath to Basildon & got 62mpg doing the speed limit. Can't complain at that. We get low to mid 50's as an average, again no complaints.

No rattle or squeaks.

The car will happily sit at 70 mph in the outside lane with the flow of the traffic, granted to accelerate briskly at 50 or so you do have to drop a gear or so, but not surprising for a normally aspirated 3 cylinder engine. The Mii replaced a 156hp Peugeot 308cc so the lack of low down shove is noticeable, but hardly a fault.

The car is much more stable on windy motorways than an Aygo we used to have & genuinely fun to drive (better in my mind the Peugeot 308 it replaced), ride is a bit firm as Seat only offer the manual 75ps engine with lowered sports suspension which is a bit hard for my liking, but may aid the stability, (not driven any of the trio any distance on standard springs).

Interior & boot space great for such a small car. I like the metallic grey painted dash panel on the Mii Sport, looks classy & no problems with reflections.

Spec wise good - wish it had a self dropping parcel shelf, a boot light & passenger window switch on the drives side, that's all.

The car has had a new radio aerial which has improved the reception, but still isn't great. Shame really as the stereo with 6 speakers sounds great, just wish it could reliably get other stations apart from Radio 2 for my whole commute. Music played from SD card very clear. Far better stereo than expected for class of car.

Seat portable system (M&M) OK for SatNav & Bluetooth, but TomTom live traffic is far better than Garmin's. Saying that, the SatNav is better than any built in system I have tried excepting BMW professional nav & that is a £2000 option!!!!

Can't think of any car for less than about £16000 (Fiesta Ecoboost Titanium) that I would rather have. Best complement I can think of for a car that cost us just over £10000!!!!

Overall not perfect (in fairness what is), but worthy of at least 4.5 stars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure it counts, but I've now had two weeks of still not getting my up.

Had a notification that it had arrived in the UK two weeks ago today. I finally got info from my dealer yesterday that they were receiving delivery of it today, but this morning I got another text notification that it had arrived in the UK.

Sounds to me that someone has made a ****-up somewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the missus' up! is 2 years old now she has 49000km on it thats (30000 miles), the only issues she has had are the "slushing issue" where water was getting stuck in the frame and you could hear it slushing when you braked, it was an issue with all the up!s here in Ireland and was resolved with the addition of some extra drainage holes being drilled by the VW garage (under warranty)The other issue was a squeeking noise coming from the rear passenger side, could never pinpoint the cause but the dealer removed the seats and adjusted the plastic moulding where it touches the side of the car making sure it was tightly fitted, this did in fact resolve the squeeking but it resulted in another issue, that being that the passenger door would not shut as easily as the drivers door it needed much more force, ( feels like the door is not properly aligned with the latch) they (VW) even suggested that the cause was the compression of air in the vehicle as a result of the door being closed was sufficient enough to stop the door being closed properly and to alleviate that situation they (VW) recommended that the drivers side window be open a little to let this compressed air out thus resulting in an easier closing of the door.
sound a bit iffy to me tbh. anyway to be fair to the car the slushing was a minor design error which was easily fixed, the squeek was very irritating and we were glad to get rid of it, the door issue is still with us but we can live with it, other than those minor issues the car has been 100% smooth and comfortable to drive, efficient and economical, overall cheap to run, tax for this model is ‚¬190 p.a. (£160).
I have just bought a 5 door up had it almost 4 weeks now it has 2000 km (1242miles), it had 11km on the clock when I drove it out of the dealership. so I've been racking up the miles with a trip to the UK I have averaged 570km on a full tank. all up!s in Ireland are 75hp. mine is blue 5dr missus' is white 3dr.

Edited by: yazz

·
Registered
851 Posts
AlanG said:
Very pleased with my new high up too. All my issues with the previous move up have been engineered out of the car ie the 55-75mph whine, the noise it made each time the clutch and plate engaged. The fuel guage now moves in a more linear sweep.
I forgot to mention, the other issue successfully engineered out of the car is the saturated interior windows. My new up is dry as a bone with - and without - aircon on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You keep talking about things being "engineered out" but it's clear that some people with brand new cars (both here and on the Briskoda Citigo forum) still have issues. I think we have to accept that some people are lucky with the car they get, some not so lucky...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think "engineered out" is the wrong phrase. Many of us with early models have none of the problems raised on this forum. It is a small proportion of owners who have experienced faults which is what the warranty is designed to address. In a consumer society there will always be some who are disappointed with their purchase. This does not mean the product is inherently faulty.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Agreed, Beevee, and I don't think it's inherently faulty. I have a few minor issues with mine but I can wait until the first service to mention them. They may even clear up as the car runs in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts