Up Owners Club banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Hi there,
Not a problem. Keep us posted when you are able to take it in and diagnose the problem. There aren't many ASG owners on here, but I'm sure they'd appreciate the info in case they see the same thing.
As for posting in multiple places, there is nothing we as users can do, but the moderators are able to delete posts and move a thread to a more appropriate part of the forum if they think it's in the wrong place. This thread should probably be under 'Engine, Gearbox and Performance', for example, so if you contact one of the moderators (they're listed on the right hand side on the main forum page), they should be able to sort you out.
Hi, as you must have gathered I am not one of the High Tech It performers ...too many links ...too many decisions to take.
Thank you for explaining what I can do and I will keep you posted of what’s happening.
Just now I will see if the car starts and on Manual will take me to my house.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Hi, two months on and the possibility of a diagnostic test for £150 at the end of July.
As the car had started and drove in manual when the rescue service looked at it,
I tried that today and it worked , immediately drops back to 1, when I slow down but drives on without problem.

?????? Do I go up to 2 or 3 at a particular rev reading.?
I have no idea as there is no noise that would indicate I should change to 2 or 3..
????Will it do more damage to whatever is wrong if I keep driving it only in manual.

At one stage it got itself into automatic and was happy to drive along like that.

More confused now than I was before but I think for now I will take the risk of stalling in the middle of a big busy roundabout.
Any thoughts as always appreciated.

Hi @biggi-up,
I have only driven automatics in the States, on gearboxes without a manual option, so in the absence of other ideas from the forum I've read through the relevant section of my manual (p.131-134) and will interpolate as best I can.
In its usual helpful way, under the heading 'Fault in the automated manual gearbox' (p.133) it says if the car won't move when you select a gear, the system has a fault and you should have it checked (🤦‍♀️). However, the manual only gets excited if warning lamps are appearing on the dash panel - which doesn't appear to be the situation in your case. As the call-out mechanic (who has actually had a chance to drive/examine the car, unlike us) seems to think it is road-worthy, and the end of July is still a fair ways off, if you are happy to drive it in manual mode you should be ok (though I wouldn't take it for longer jaunts than you're willing to be stranded should it suddenly decide to have a red/orange warning light fault). Something is clearly physically/electronically confused in there if it can pop back into automatic mode when it feels like it, and so the possibility of it refusing to work at all can't be ruled out.
As for when to change gears in manual mode, I will have to assume it works in the same manner as the (fully) manual gearboxes. I would ignore the change up indicator in the dash panel, as this tends to be based more on fuel economy than road conditions, but keep an eye out for the change down indicator, as on mine that's a pretty good sign the road is more inclined than I thought and I need to drop a gear to accommodate it. The general recommendation for small-engined cars like these is to change up around the 2000rpm mark, which is roughly changing up a gear every 10mph when accelerating (so 1st gear up to 10mph, 2nd up to 20mph, 3rd to 30mph, etc.) - although this will obviously depend on the road (hilly roads will see a lot more 2nd gear, for instance). Try to listen to the engine note - if it's high-pitched and/or whining, you're in too low a gear; if it's a low throb (or the car is starting to vibrate/rev needle approaching 1000rpm) you're in too high a gear. If it's purring like a large-ish cat (rev needle somewhere around 14-1500rpm - I haven't looked recently!), you're good to go. Be prepared to drop a gear if you see a hill coming, especially if you're in 5th. Take roundabouts in 2nd if possible.
Hopefully that will keep you moving until the diagnostic test sheds more light on the problem.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Hi @biggi-up,
I have only driven automatics in the States, on gearboxes without a manual option, so in the absence of other ideas from the forum I've read through the relevant section of my manual (p.131-134) and will interpolate as best I can.
In its usual helpful way, under the heading 'Fault in the automated manual gearbox' (p.133) it says if the car won't move when you select a gear, the system has a fault and you should have it checked (🤦‍♀️). However, the manual only gets excited if warning lamps are appearing on the dash panel - which doesn't appear to be the situation in your case. As the call-out mechanic (who has actually had a chance to drive/examine the car, unlike us) seems to think it is road-worthy, and the end of July is still a fair ways off, if you are happy to drive it in manual mode you should be ok (though I wouldn't take it for longer jaunts than you're willing to be stranded should it suddenly decide to have a red/orange warning light fault). Something is clearly physically/electronically confused in there if it can pop back into automatic mode when it feels like it, and so the possibility of it refusing to work at all can't be ruled out.
As for when to change gears in manual mode, I will have to assume it works in the same manner as the (fully) manual gearboxes. I would ignore the change up indicator in the dash panel, as this tends to be based more on fuel economy than road conditions, but keep an eye out for the change down indicator, as on mine that's a pretty good sign the road is more inclined than I thought and I need to drop a gear to accommodate it. The general recommendation for small-engined cars like these is to change up around the 2000rpm mark, which is roughly changing up a gear every 10mph when accelerating (so 1st gear up to 10mph, 2nd up to 20mph, 3rd to 30mph, etc.) - although this will obviously depend on the road (hilly roads will see a lot more 2nd gear, for instance). Try to listen to the engine note - if it's high-pitched and/or whining, you're in too low a gear; if it's a low throb (or the car is starting to vibrate/rev needle approaching 1000rpm) you're in too high a gear. If it's purring like a large-ish cat (rev needle somewhere around 14-1500rpm - I haven't looked recently!), you're good to go. Be prepared to drop a gear if you see a hill coming, especially if you're in 5th. Take roundabouts in 2nd if possible.
Hopefully that will keep you moving until the diagnostic test sheds more light on the problem.
Hi P..C
Today I got sidetracked by trying to make the invisible- visible and help the silent find a voice on Zoom, which will connect me with friends and family.

So the car had a rest and my worries too, specially after reading your easily understandable reply with all it’s details.
I will take your advice on board and never leave without a pair of good shoes and a rain jacket.
The engine neither roars nor purrs but I will keep an eye on rpm and turn colour blind should the red light flash up on the dashboard, hopefully not before it’s diagnostic test.

I am very grateful for the time you have taken to clarify my concerns.
Many thanks.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Hi P..C
Today I got sidetracked by trying to make the invisible- visible and help the silent find a voice on Zoom, which will connect me with friends and family.

So the car had a rest and my worries too, specially after reading your easily understandable reply with all it’s details.
I will take your advice on board and never leave without a pair of good shoes and a rain jacket.
The engine neither roars nor purrs but I will keep an eye on rpm and turn colour blind should the red light flash up on the dashboard, hopefully not before it’s diagnostic test.

Many thanks.
Hi P..C

Many thanks.
Hi P..C
Not certain how to reply to a reply, as two months have passed and I took the car to a garage which run a diagnostic and all the codes said « no fault ».
For one week I drove only in manual and then drove the way I used to drive and I have not had a single issue since and I am prepared to get stranded anywhere in England as there is no chance to drive to Austria with all the restrictions in place.

I hope this messages reaches you and thanks again to everybody who made time to reply.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.