Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed in a few people's signature that they describe their car as a 2014 Up!

Is there any difference between cars made in different years, I have ordered a Move Up¡ that was already 'in port' in Germany and is due in the next week or so. Are there any telltale signs between older cars and newer variants?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm interested in this too. The main difference between MY12 and MY13 ups was the introduction of hill start. There were also a few minor things like drain holes as well. I think the MY12s were holding water. At some point the spare wheel became standard - but i don't know when.

Just remembered: the speedometer graphics changed too at some point between MY12 and 13.
Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
251 Posts
2014 MY at VW is build date as of May 1, 2013. I believe the dark denim/light interior I have ordered on my Move Up! has only been available since this date, for example.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That might be the only identifiable feature... in what way did the graphics change?

I could try the hillstart feature when it arrives as well.

Finally if I can get a build date, is there a known switchover date when the factory moved model years?

·
Registered
851 Posts
The speedometer graphics changed about 18 months ago and caused quite a stir on the forum at the time. The newer graphics are quite busy compared to the original graphics and nearly everybody thought the original graphics were more elegant. I remember following threads on it and someone posted side-by-side pictures of old and new. I daresay if you put the right search words in, then you'll find the pictures.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car has landed at the dealers and the wife and I caught sight of it this morning. Forgot to check the dials, but would be suprised to find it is an older model.

Is there any way of checking build dates using the VIN?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes someone on the forum showed what each part of the VIN meant some time ago. I remember noting and confirming that my up was MY13 because it had the letter "C" somewhere in the VIN. It kind of suggests that MY14 will be "D" doesn't it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
C in the chassis no. Means your up was built in 1982

Seriously though, C came around again for 2012, D for 2013, whether this means 'built' 2013 but model year 2014 I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Model year changes after the summer factory holiday, my 2012 up was delivered 2nd Aug as a 2013 model (ie with hill hold)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has a D then E (or E then D ???) as the 10th and 11th digits, which confused the **** out of the VIN checker I used.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Collected it this evening and it is definitely a post May2013 car (has the newer dials).

Parked on the driveway getting rained on as I type - and will be driven in the rain first thing tomorrow morning.

On the plus side the car agreed I can drive economically and averaged 54mpg on the way home, with an 87% efficiency rating

Pic of car on the drive:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Nice. I have a move up too but currently looking to trade up to the High up and will make my trim and equipment selections based on my year's ownership experience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of interest I have a few questions:

Why are you upgrading?What are the "must have" options?What are the ones to avoid?Where is the best deal, and how much are you paying to Up!grade?

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
Mangham54 said:
Collected it this evening and it is definitely a post May2013 car (has the newer dials).

Parked on the driveway getting rained on as I type - and will be driven in the rain first thing tomorrow morning.

On the plus side the car agreed I can drive economically and averaged 54mpg on the way home, with an 87% efficiency rating

Pic of car on the drive:
My Move up has the 'newer' dials and was built in February 2013.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it has gone... Only managed 17months in our care, but the up has been replaced by a Polo SE DesigN:

Still has the 1.0 75ps engine, but the gearbox and engine noise is much much much better and the car feels so much more grown up... 5doors is a vast improvement.

Pics to followEdited by: Mangham54

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
upmancotswolds said:
wouldn't fancy the up's engine in a bigger heavier car personally!
Each to their own... I find the 75bhp Polo perfectly usable and somehow doesn't feel any slower than the Up.

What you do notice is how the car deals with 3people in it better than the Up, as the body roll in corners is vastly better and the steering is more direct, but the 215/45/16 tyres and standard sport suspension probably help.

As a family run-around it does all it needs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts