Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new ASG UP! will not change gear going UP hill !!!! Taken it back to main dealer Motorline Coulson, who have road tested and agreed (big relief) and have it back to find cause..

Good service so far but does anyone else have the same issue?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not me. Hopefully your main dealer is on top of it and will sort it out. Do you mean the gears won't change down or change up?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi it happend to me once last month, wouldn't go into the next gear for maybe a minute and just rev'd the **** out itself, once we were back on flat road the car needed 10 seconds or so before it acted normal again. Wouldn't change down manualy either.Hasn't happend since, I do remember the weather was damp and cold but I can't see this making a difference really but worth a mention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Well apparently its needs a whole new Gear Box. VW want the old (400 miles !) one back to find out what and why.. Just hope the "new" one fixes the problem..

To answer the question "what is the problem".. the gear gets stuck in say 2nd going up a hill and will stay there even @ 6k revs. manual override does not work.. going along on the flat at 30mph it can be in 2nd or 5th, When in 5th needless to say its a bit sluggish and if you have to accelerate it try's to do that in 5th and will not kick down! which is actually quite dangerous.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Excellent description, please keep us updated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
latest up date ... no update still waiting new gearbox.. also getting a bit miffed in having to drive around in a manual polo.. and not sure i like the idea of having a car back that has been taken to bits and put back again. .one rattle and VW can have it back......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well we now have new gear box and things are better BUT it still will not change gear effectively going up a steepish hill.. hunts between D1 D2 D1 D3 D1.. It seems to us that the "incline" sensor.. We have been loaned another brand new one and the technician had to resort to manual override.. Unfortunately our over ride does not seem to work; and yes am aware that if you over rev it it "Locks" into current selected gear.

Also unfortunately we live in a very hilly area..

We strongly suspect there is a need for software upgrade as the car currently is VERY unpredictable and inconsistent on steep hills..

If anyone out there is considering and UP! ASG would recommend you test drive up a hill first..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You must be very unlucky to get a Friday car. Had mine over eighteen months and never had a problem with hills.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes but what type of hill..? if you ever in the Purley area (unlikely) would set you the challenge of St James Road (going up!) probably 1:5..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well latest if anyone interested.. VW Milton Keynes cannot do anything as, apparently not many others are registering the problem so not fix on the way.. must be selling ASG UPs to people who don't live in hilly areas. Got to go back to dealer as VW corp now hiding behind the sales contract...

They have a problem but are not facing up to it.. offered to lend them the car and get one of their non technical people to try and get it up "the hill" near us.. .. no takers

Great car, don't buy ASG if you have to regularly go up hills

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I thought you said the dealer had agreed that there was a problem. If so fix or no fix they should sort it out and replace the car if necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep into dealer next but its a design fault not a fault with my individual car.. problem i have is not many others are reporting.. so i think there not many ASG's out there and not many trying to go up steepishhills.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry dont think that's the case. Mine has no problems with steep inclines and overall I am well pleased with the ASG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you saying you can go up say a 1:5 hill and its will change from D1 to D2 without hitting the red line or having to revert to manual?

Reason for asking is that mine won't stay's in D1 or hunts D1 D2 and straight back to D1 neither would the other brand new one they loaned me to test on same hill with VW technician on board.. he could not get it to change "consistently" either

take it you do not live in the Purley area and could test up St James Road :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The steepest hill near me is a 16% gradient, I think that's a 1 in 6? Surely the important issue is that the car goes up a 1 in 5 hill and not that it changes gear. Perhaps it can only manage that gradient in first gear and gentle speed. When in manual mode there is a fail safe that changes gear if the gear you have selected is unsuitable for the condition.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts