Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am trying to build up a spare bulb kit for my UP without to pay VW prices as I work as a partsman for a rival Japanese brand (don't laugh both of our cars are VW)
Headlamp is sorted and is an H4, now not to sure what the rest are, I can guess but this is not ideal!
Has anyone got a list of the contains of a UP VW bulb kit, nothing really in the owners manual to let you know what the other bulbs are!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can't promise this is all of them but for the MY2017 cars the list includes:

front dipped/main beam lights: H4 60/55W
turn signal bulbs: PY 21W (DRLs, side lights and indicators in the exterior mirrors are non-replaceable LEDs)
front fog lights: HB4 51W (rears are non-replaceable LEDs)
rear reversing lights: RY16W
rear brake lights: P21/4W
rear tail lights: RY5W
rear turn signals: RY16W
rear high-level brake light (with the rear washer jet): non-replaceable LED
number plate lights: non-replaceable LED

Anything listed as 'non-replaceable' means the LED bulb is an integrated component, so the whole unit needs to be replaced if the LED bulb dies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plancast, this great thanks very much, not very good news about the led as they usually don't last as long as they should do and they are expensive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It makes sense from a manufacturing perspective, but for the customer it means a simple blown bulb turns into a much bigger (and more expensive) adventure, unfortunately...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I know, all the fancy stuff cost more and more to the customer when this pack up. I work for a rival car manufacturer and I see modern side flasher been replaced for close to hundred pounds because the led is gone when with earlier models this would just cost a couple of pounds for a bulb. This is progress! :-(

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wonder what the environmental impact of shipping/replacing whole assemblies is instead of just the bulb?...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any way to go back on track about our favourite subject the UP, I have fitted a new set of H4 Optibright from Toyota from the recommandation of a Taxi driver who I sold the very same bulbs a few weeks prior. Never too sure about the claim that some manufacturers do, so I did ask him to let me know when he was next in, I have tried them and this a vast improvement on the standard H4 bulbs fitted, can not verify their 60% improve claim, but the improvement is highly visible by eye. They are a lot cheaper that the Osram bulb for which I have read not that good review about longevity. They were fitted last Saturday so can not talk about longevity yet, but all I can say is our Local taxi drivers do buy all their bulbs from us direct not the Internet or motorfactors
Part number : 90981-YZZDK
Lamp set H4 12V 60 / 55W Optiwhite

Optiwhite bulbs

/

/

The stylish new Toyota Optiwhite bulbs enhance driving safety in all weather conditions, giving you peace of mind on the road as well as a premium look.
Here’s why you should consider Optiwhite bulbs for your Toyota:
  • Increased brightness, contrast and reflections
  • Clear and improved visibility in all conditions
  • Stylish xenon-look white light
  • A competitive long lifetime
https://www.youtube.com/embed/1MtpPJAoclo?rel=0&showinfo=0&autoplay=1
PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION
3700 Kelvin
+ 60% light
up to 600 hours lifetime

1 - 7 of 7 Posts