Up Owners Club banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some nice cars there. My fave is the Lotus Elan and the white Porsche.
I enjoyed my Spitfire 1500 with great access to the engine and the Black Cab turning circle.
WE all wish we would have kept our cars,but at least we have the memories.
Do you think we will say the same about our UP GTIs when we sell them? Then again perhaps we will keep the car as a future Classic.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
l think the Up GTi will always have a loyal following.
Although as with most modern cars, you'll see loads of them on Auto Trader when the 3/4 year PCP's come to an end.
But l think it's a better bet than most cars money wise.
At one stage we were looking at the VW T-Roc.
lt was frightening to see AutoTrader and other car sales sites awash with used examples, many of them having lost nearly 50% of their value.
It put us off, these are around £22,000 new and after the up front deposit and two or more years payments you've biffed £10,000 into the thing, only to lose it all.
Looking at 2018 Up GTi they are still making £10-12,000 when they only cost around £14,000 new.
l think it will be a long time before you can get one for £7,000.

We ended up with a new Suzuki Jimny, another car that holds its value used.

These will mark the end of this type of vehicle, already the Jimny has been withdrawn from Europe due to emissions and the Seat/Skoda versions of the Up are only available as electric vehicles.
How long before the GTi disappears from VW's range?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Congrats on the order. I was looking at my order form from 2 years ago - £14k for a 5dr with black roof, climate and Beats...oh how times have changed.

Do the earliest versions have the sound actuator? I had my mid box removed early on for a nicer exhaust sound.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah those were the days alright, we also paid £14,000 for our five door GTi with panoramic roof cruise and park etc
l had to pay 20% over the list price for our Jimny!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah those were the days alright, we also paid £14,000 for our five door GTi with panoramic roof cruise and park etc
l had to pay 20% over the list price for our Jimny!!
I was looking at a Jimny to replace the Up recently but they are having a laugh with the pricing. I like the boxy look and the fact it’s a proper off reader. How do you like it? Is it hard on fuel?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The new Jimny is great, we absolutely love it!
lt rides really well on poor roads and is fun to drive.
lt's well made and well equipped (if you get the SZ5 version) and exceptional off road.
Climate control, satnav, cruise control, hill descent control, LED headlamps, DAB radio, apple carplay etc are all standard.
lt will sit happily at motorway speeds, although the engine gets a little
noisy at 80mph
Best to sit at 70mph
l've done 240 motorway miles and was fine
Fuel economy? Ours is averaging 42.5mpg in town driving.
The ideal garage would maybe have an Up GTi and a Jimny. l think someone on here does have both.
But for us the Jimny is ideal.
Yes prices are currently high due to demand. Some dealers are
really trying it on, with prices at £26,000 or more
But they aren't selling at that money by the look of it, l called about a black one with a load of extras on it advertised at £26,000 and the price soon fell by £3,000 after a little negotiation.
This happened a little bit with the Up GTi when they stopped production for a time last Summer.
But the Jimny is available for more sensible money if you look carefully.
For instance
l know that the Suzuki dealer near us is selling their Kinetic Yellow SZ5 demonstrator at £21,000 (list price is £19,250 but that colour was an extra £600) and they will waxoyl it in the price if the buyer wants.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ours is 2 years old nearly and I'm still shocked out how good a package and how well built it is for the money!
I think we paid £12700 for a 5 door with beats audio and climate control thanks to the scrappage scheme for a car that had to be towed in and literally worth £50 and some discount.
Love the car to bits and when you see stuff on other forums with the car being slated it's nearly always by people who haven't driven them my other car sets the bar fairly high for driver involvement being a Clio 182 cup but I enjoy driving them equally as much for different reasons.
The Up is a much better daily drive but although the Clio would leave it for dead the Up just makes you smile every time you wring it's little 3 cylinder neck:cool:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When we had the Up GTi my other car
was a Racing Blue Clio 182
Yes the Clio was great, the engine was really strong and it would have been fabulous to own it from new.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cool colour! I've had the Clio 182 Cup from new and it's Racing blue and don't think it or the Up GTi will ever get sold

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The Clio was great, but it had 14 owners before me.
l spent around £3,000 on it and finally l'd had enough.
l sold it to a guy who decided he didn't want it , and he sold it on almost immediately.
The next owner spent £800 on the car and then sold it to a girl, who had problems with the clutch and got rid after about six months.
The next guy bought it last month and says it needs around £2,000 of work, including a new clutch (l replaced the clutch not 4,000 miles previously) as it was extremely heavy, so much so that it snapped the clutch cable.
And he's got an oil leak from the crankshaft rear seal, and other issues.
He's owner no. 18 !!

I am done with cars like that. I assume
yours is not the bad puppy that this one was.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No I bought it in 2006 being the fastest thing I could get for the money paid 11k for it I assumed it would be forever in having warranty work and would be sold before the warranty expires... It's been garaged and pampered all it's life only done 52000 miles and only ever had routine maintenance plus 1 battery and a new alternator. So I can't complain it's got Yokohama ADO8R tyres so it goes very well but is a little hard core but I don't ever get bored of it :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Jimny looks good and a great colour. You can get it automatic as well,but i think the ride would be too harsh for my bad back.
I will probably keep my UP GTI for 4 years,then if nothing new has come out i will be looking at the same cars i was looking at before buying my GTI. The Mini Cooper Automatic, or Aygo Automatic. They have just brought out the latest colour for the Aygo X Cite, a dark Grey with Orange roof. The previous one was Orange body with a Black roof so they have almost reversed it. I would look at the Polo GTI Automatic as well.Then again i could keep my UP GTI until i hang up my driving gloves for good and just use my bus pass.
Talking of how prices have changed. I remember when the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow came out,the price was £6000 brand new. Mind you the average wage in those days was 50 pence a week lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
l've had loads of cars and it would be nice to have them still stashed in a garage
These would be my favourites from the cars l've owned, in order of preference

Ferrari Mondial T
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Porsche 928 S4
Lotus Elise S2
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Had an Elise S2 for a short while, although a very capable car to me it seemed as though the thing had no soul, it was just a thing, I know all cars are just mechanical objects but some have more character than others. And the Elise was a bit boring to drive where limits applied (like pretty much everywhere). I could go into much more detail, the ride, my back, the quality or lack of it, etc, etc. I sold it and bought another Seven.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Agree re the Elise, l felt the same about it.
The Jimny ride quality is better than the Up GTi.
The Ferrari spoilt me, now that was a car with soul, it was an event just to sit in it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The new Jimny is great, we absolutely love it!
lt rides really well on poor roads and is fun to drive.
lt's well made and well equipped (if you get the SZ5 version) and exceptional off road.
Climate control, satnav, cruise control, hill descent control, LED headlamps, DAB radio, apple carplay etc are all standard.
lt will sit happily at motorway speeds, although the engine gets a little
noisy at 80mph
Best to sit at 70mph
l've done 240 motorway miles and was fine
Fuel economy? Ours is averaging 42.5mpg in town driving.
The ideal garage would maybe have an Up GTi and a Jimny. l think someone on here does have both.
But for us the Jimny is ideal.
Yes prices are currently high due to demand. Some dealers are
really trying it on, with prices at £26,000 or more
But they aren't selling at that money by the look of it, l called about a black one with a load of extras on it advertised at £26,000 and the price soon fell by £3,000 after a little negotiation.
This happened a little bit with the Up GTi when they stopped production for a time last Summer.
But the Jimny is available for more sensible money if you look carefully.
For instance
l know that the Suzuki dealer near us is selling their Kinetic Yellow SZ5 demonstrator at £21,000 (list price is £19,250 but that colour was an extra £600) and they will waxoyl it in the price if the buyer wants.
Good to hear. If I saw a decent pcp deal on one, I’d look into it in more detail but advertised deals are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try Horderns Suzuki in Chapel-en-le-Frith Derbyshire
They've still got the demonstrator and they offered us a PCP deal on that.
lt's £21,000
You won't get a Jimny SZ5 cheaper than that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are some automatics advertised on Autotrader for over £30 000. It makes the UP GTI look a real bargain.They are different types of cars of course.
It was such a nice sunny day today i went for a 50 mile drive. No motorway,just town and country roads, with a few stop start traffic jams. The MFD fuel readout was 60 MPG. The get up and go is amazing when you want it to and so quiet when you take it easy.Its a great car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Crikey - that was an epic thread derail. :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts