Up Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as a bit of a background to me, I'm a bit of a car nut and have been lucky to progress onto some nice fast cars in recent years - M3, RS4, K04 golfs, R32s, 335i with 540hp. I sold my BMW 335i at the start of the year. Reason being, it was hardly being used and there was a lot of money tied up in it. We are looking at moving house next year, and I thought it would be worth selling now, as used car prices seem to be holding well. The plan was then to run about in my Cayenne that I bought as a winter car until we moved and then replace it with something new.

Unfortunately that didnt go to plan. The Cayenne was awesome (note and felt like you were driving a comfy old armchair), but had quite a few issues. As such, my monthly repair bills each month were high and becoming hard to justify, when the car was £2k to start with.

I ended up spotting a 2 year old Up! GTI on the local VW dealer instagram and spoke to a friend who worked there to see if he could assist with a good deal. The car ended up being bought quite quickly by one of the staff, but my friend said that they had 4 brand new GTIs in stock and could do a good deal on one of those. I have never had a new car, but for the deal offered, I couldnt turn it down, especially knowing that it would be cheap to run and insure, fun and should have no issues with reliability during my ownership. The final straw was the LPG on the Cayenne failing on the way to VW to check out the car.

So the spec of the Up! is as follows:

2021 Up GTI

Pure White with black roof

Light and Sight Pack (auto lights and wipers)

Climate Control (rather than twisty knobs)

Cruise and Parking sensor pack, with rear view camera

Passenger height adjustable seat

The only missing option from the current list is the beats sound pack.

The cars come nicely spec'd from the factory with heated seats, DAB, bluetooth etc too.

Being the 2021 Up, there are some slight differences from the car that originally came out in 2018. Nothing to set the heather alight, but include:

New VW branding badges

The safety camera thing for lane assist

Oil temperature displayed in MFD

Some pics:

First impressions of the car are great. It's nice to have a car that you can push 100% and still be around the speed limit. The likes of the K04 golfs, RS4, 335 etc have only felt fun at silly speeds.

I feel like its obviously a natural successor to the Lupo GTI, and although a smidge slower to 60, it feels so much better with the additional torque mid range, and handles a lot better out the box.

It also feels like quite a 'premium' car for the money - I think VW have done well with the Golf GTI wheel, the nice dash etc, but you can see where they have saved costs - mk4 door handles, door buttons dont illuminate, no black plastic stoppers on the seat runners.

I have done a couple of small tweaks to the car which have made some subtle improvements:

Lupo GTI polished pedals

On carista, you can also change the steering and acceleration feel like you would on a golf or audi display. I have changed the steering to 'dynamic' which has made it feel heavier. The accelerator is also set to 'direct, controlled by threshold' which makes it feel a little more urgent.

Oh and finally the plate! While doing some research on the Ups prior to purchase, I noticed that the VWUK press car had the plate UP12VWW. I did a quick search on the DVLA and noticed that UP21VWW was available for reasonable money (strangely far cheaper than UP19 and UP20) so decided to go for it and get it registered on that. Something quite fitting for the car and hopefully a good selling point down the line:

And that's really about it. This will hardly ever be updated and I have no plans to modify it - saying that though, some KWs, some ultraleggeras and a remap wouldnt go amiss! I have it for 4 years on finance and have plenty other things to spend money on like beetles, mk2s and house moves. But if you see it darting about, feel free to give me a wave!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A £2k Cayenne ? 😲

Bloody ****, not sure how you manage to fit your cohones in an UP :D

Your new car looks great - enjoy (y)
It was definitely a brave pill moment, but man maths prevailed and I thought that worst case, I could break it and be even.

Thankfully there was a lust for a cheap cayenne on eBay and I managed to sell it at auction for a little less than I bought and put into it.

Would I do it again? Never :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing to report. I went out for a run with some pals and an eclectic mix of cars. It was great to have a day out with pals and for the first time in ages, feeling just like a normal weekend.

Although way down on power and a good chassis compared to the other cars, I had a lot of fun and didn't feel like I will missing out being in the Up.

We ended up going Westhill - Tarland - Cambus O May - Ballater - Lecht - Dufftown - Cabrach and totaled probably around 120 miles. It averaged 41.2 mpg, and that was while trying to keep up with the rest of the team. Impressed.

Group shots:

Drone shots:

Scenic Up shots:

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, as a bit of a background to me, I'm a bit of a car nut and have been lucky to progress onto some nice fast cars in recent years - M3, RS4, K04 golfs, R32s, 335i with 540hp. I sold my BMW 335i at the start of the year. Reason being, it was hardly being used and there was a lot of money tied up in it. We are looking at moving house next year, and I thought it would be worth selling now, as used car prices seem to be holding well. The plan was then to run about in my Cayenne that I bought as a winter car until we moved and then replace it with something new.

Unfortunately that didnt go to plan. The Cayenne was awesome (note and felt like you were driving a comfy old armchair), but had quite a few issues. As such, my monthly repair bills each month were high and becoming hard to justify, when the car was £2k to start with.

I ended up spotting a 2 year old Up! GTI on the local VW dealer instagram and spoke to a friend who worked there to see if he could assist with a good deal. The car ended up being bought quite quickly by one of the staff, but my friend said that they had 4 brand new GTIs in stock and could do a good deal on one of those. I have never had a new car, but for the deal offered, I couldnt turn it down, especially knowing that it would be cheap to run and insure, fun and should have no issues with reliability during my ownership. The final straw was the LPG on the Cayenne failing on the way to VW to check out the car.

So the spec of the Up! is as follows:

2021 Up GTI

Pure White with black roof

Light and Sight Pack (auto lights and wipers)

Climate Control (rather than twisty knobs)

Cruise and Parking sensor pack, with rear view camera

Passenger height adjustable seat

The only missing option from the current list is the beats sound pack.

The cars come nicely spec'd from the factory with heated seats, DAB, bluetooth etc too.

Being the 2021 Up, there are some slight differences from the car that originally came out in 2018. Nothing to set the heather alight, but include:

New VW branding badges

The safety camera thing for lane assist

Oil temperature displayed in MFD

Some pics:

View attachment 6450

View attachment 6451

View attachment 6453

View attachment 6452

View attachment 6455

View attachment 6454

View attachment 6457

View attachment 6458

View attachment 6456

First impressions of the car are great. It's nice to have a car that you can push 100% and still be around the speed limit. The likes of the K04 golfs, RS4, 335 etc have only felt fun at silly speeds.

I feel like its obviously a natural successor to the Lupo GTI, and although a smidge slower to 60, it feels so much better with the additional torque mid range, and handles a lot better out the box.

It also feels like quite a 'premium' car for the money - I think VW have done well with the Golf GTI wheel, the nice dash etc, but you can see where they have saved costs - mk4 door handles, door buttons dont illuminate, no black plastic stoppers on the seat runners.

I have done a couple of small tweaks to the car which have made some subtle improvements:

View attachment 6459

Lupo GTI polished pedals

On carista, you can also change the steering and acceleration feel like you would on a golf or audi display. I have changed the steering to 'dynamic' which has made it feel heavier. The accelerator is also set to 'direct, controlled by threshold' which makes it feel a little more urgent.

Oh and finally the plate! While doing some research on the Ups prior to purchase, I noticed that the VWUK press car had the plate UP12VWW. I did a quick search on the DVLA and noticed that UP21VWW was available for reasonable money (strangely far cheaper than UP19 and UP20) so decided to go for it and get it registered on that. Something quite fitting for the car and hopefully a good selling point down the line:

View attachment 6460

And that's really about it. This will hardly ever be updated and I have no plans to modify it - saying that though, some KWs, some ultraleggeras and a remap wouldnt go amiss! I have it for 4 years on finance and have plenty other things to spend money on like beetles, mk2s and house moves. But if you see it darting about, feel free to give me a wave!
Mine is 2019 and got the exact badges and looks exactly the same. We're the badges changed at 19?

·
Registered
129 Posts
We ended up going Westhill - Tarland - Cambus O May - Ballater - Lecht - Dufftown - Cabrach and totaled probably around 120 miles. It averaged 41.2 mpg, and that was while trying to keep up with the rest of the team. Impressed.
Great route which I have done a number of times in my Elise so I know how much fun the VX220 was having. - great car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with the good weather due this weekend and Amy working the weekend, I asked my pal Andrew if he fancied a last minute day trip to Applecross for lunch. He obliged. We left about 7.30am, grabbed a Costa and headed up to Inverness via the Lecht. The fog was pretty bad up to around Tarland, followed by glorious sun. We stopped just North of Inverness for a drink and then continued onto Applecross, getting there around 11.45. The roads were pretty quiet, with just a few cyclists and motorbikes to contend with.

We went to stop at Applecross to get a photo at the sign, which has unfortunately disappeared since I was last there in November. The Applecross road itself has improved since November too, with a couple of big parking bays at the lower levels as view points.

Lunch was great, opting for the monkfish and chips from the Applecross Inn Fish and Chip van they have outside. Applecross itself was full of motorbikes (nice to see), however not many people eating at the Inn as per usual - I'm guessing its still quite early in the season and we were there early in the day.

Heading back, we went back in via Inverness, but opted for the A96 on the way back, as a 'quicker' less exciting route. We also stopped by Fort George for a quick gander, which looks well worth a proper visit when I am next up.

Andrew got to enjoy being behind the wheel of the Up, with me in the passenger seat for the first time. He was pleasantly surprised how fun it was, and there were a few times we were having a right laugh in the car, especially going down the pass. The Up is perfect for a lot of the windier and narrower roads the further west you go, which is an added bonus. For anyone that cares, the car averaged 48.3 mpg for the circa 400 mile round trip.

Anyway, a few photos from the day, all from the Applecross Pass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Greigzy, how u enjoying Up?

From posts getting some nice outings. I noticed post re Recaro Seats and you a friend of Colin’s. It’s his wife’s car I purchased. He or she looked after it.

Great wee car and still getting well pampered

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after 9 months and 5000 miles I have sold the car. With the price of cars on the up (pardon the pun) I made the most of it and have now found myself in a 7.5 Golf R.

I really enjoyed my brief ownership and would recommend one to anyone.

The private plate has now been removed and the car is on a normal plate - SW21LGN. If you find yourself in this car I really hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts