Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my High up from its 2nd service, software upgrade done, (is it only for the fuel gauge?). So, dealer rings up just before I pick up to say I've got a slow puncture on one of my front tyres which incidentally "has only 3.5mm of tread left" and should they change it for only £86.I posted on here, just the other week about having 4mm tread left so knew they were wrong and thought it really unlucky to get a puncture that "couldn't be repaired" on the way to the dealers.( I checked the pressures before it went in and didn't notice any loss). Said I would sort it and took the wheel off today, no sign of any holes or damage and not loosing any pressure I can see. Is there anything else I should check before I go back to the dealer and kick off?

·
Registered
171 Posts
grrr dealers!

reminds me of an incident a few years ago, again 2nd year service. I'd asked them to just check my brakes as I had some squealing, nothing major, suspected they just needed stripping and cleaning out.

they only claimed that the discs had worn right down and 'urgently' needed replacing, not under warranty as wear and tear, and advised me not to drive it any further until they had replaced them as was potentially 'dangerous'. this was on a car that had done maybe 7 or 8 thousand miles and always driven carefully - knackered discs?! think they wanted about £350 to do them on the spot as well!

so after saying no a dozen or so times, I took it to a trusted independent a few days later...they just stripped and cleaned them, said the discs were totally fine nothing at all to worry about.

ok so this wasn't VW, but still, shocking behaviour and sounds as if you've had that as well. since then I have never let a dealership talk me into fixing a fault or problem that they 'find' with the car that I wasn't already certain of.

Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
296 Posts
Best introduction to service I was my first car in 1986. After service a supervisor took you out for the road test, and then explained everything that had been done. Any parts replaced were in a poly bag in the boot - other than oil filter - and were only dumped with your permission. As a very new driver they showed me how to carry out a lot of safety checks myself. Hence they often wrote on your vehicle report - 'keep an eye on 'such and such' might need replaced before next service - and gave you the option of booking it in immediately or checking for yourself.
If they say major work needs done and I feel it is unexpected then I often say 'show me'

·
Registered
171 Posts
ospreywatcher said:
Best introduction to service I was my first car in 1986. After service a supervisor took you out for the road test, and then explained everything that had been done. Any parts replaced were in a poly bag in the boot - other than oil filter - and were only dumped with your permission. As a very new driver they showed me how to carry out a lot of safety checks myself. Hence they often wrote on your vehicle report - 'keep an eye on 'such and such' might need replaced before next service - and gave you the option of booking it in immediately or checking for yourself.
the good old days!
Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi Not all dealers are Cowboys but you should always get a second opinion.as safety comes (FIRST)
Regards phill.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, it turns out when I rang the service manager this morning that they had put the wrong tyre down on the report, it was actually one of the rears that has a nail in it. Right in the middle of the tread though so might repair. As for the tread depth he says they always give the lowest reading even though 3/4 of the tyre is at 4mm.Back to the tyre shop I suppose.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi glad that you have sorted it out should repair ok but sometimes it might be cheaper in the long run to replace the tyre
depending on price of the repair etc.
Phill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know if you have a vw service package but if you do they do include free puncture repair ( if it's the same one I have). Hope it helps

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi that will save you some cash.im glad you have sorted it all out so you will be safer on the roads thanks for letting
me no but I don't have a service pack.
Regards phill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts