Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to buy a used Up Gti but can’t make up my mind between 3 door or 5 door.
i prefer the look of the 3 door with its longer doors and rear quarter up lift, however I am concerned that the length of the doors will make getting out difficult when parked in usual UK tiny spaces.
I would appreciate any real world feedback to help make the choice.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am currently looking to buy a used Up Gti but can’t make up my mind between 3 door or 5 door.
i prefer the look of the 3 door with its longer doors and rear quarter up lift, however I am concerned that the length of the doors will make getting out difficult when parked in usual UK tiny spaces.
I would appreciate any real world feedback to help make the choice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Only have experience of a 3 door. In my opinion it is a better look than the 5 door, others will disagree. No real issue with the doors. The car is narrow to start with so even big doors opening in a space isnt that much of a problem. If you dont regurlarly carry rear passengers the 3 door would get my vote.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only have experience of a 3 door. In my opinion it is a better look than the 5 door, others will disagree. No real issue with the doors. The car is narrow to start with so even big doors opening in a space isnt that much of a problem. If you dont regurlarly carry rear passengers the 3 door would get my vote.
Thanks Bob
Are the seat belts difficult to reach? I would try this myself but showrooms are obviously shut. Also is the passenger seat hight adjustment still available on these sliding versions?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Everybody has a view, me, 5 dr.........it is a more practical car, access to rear seats and load area. Better seat belt reach, 'maybe' safer in side impact due to central B pillar. smaller doors are MUCH easier in most, all, parking situations, and I like the looks..................and they ALWAYS have better resale

Pays your money and makes your choice !

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm 2 years and 16k miles into my 3 door.
I like the shape better. Getting in and out is no problem, it's a narrow car already. The problem might be your own BMI, not the car's!
Access to rear seats is fine for my 6 and 8 year old, but if they were teenagers and more gangly, I wouldn't have bought the GTi and expected them to love it.
Go to a VW dealer (post CV19) and get in and out of some 3 and 5 door ups.
There is no right answer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They’re all subjective views of course, but for me, despite having young(‘ish) kids, the dramatic effect that the rear doors has on the look of the whole car is nowhere near compensated for by the increased practicality, as much of an increase as that may be.

I would even suggest that if the car had only ever been available in 5 door, then the chances are I wouldn’t have bought one, because I wouldn’t have been drawn in by its appearance in the first place.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ps. I could live with a three door GTi if I had to buy one new...........🤦‍♂️🤣

·
Registered
751 Posts
There's merits to both, but for me The practicality of a 5 door is paramount with two growing grandkids. I also much prefer the look of the five door. I also have an old shoulder injury that makes it hard for me to reach a long way for the seat belt. Wouldn't even consider a three door in our situation. Horses for courses.

Reactions: Jacara

·
Registered
751 Posts
Don't think so Mike, just had a look on the configurator and it shows five doors being available.....

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the three door, I prefer the looks and the wider opening is so much more inviting when opening the door. I never had an issue with getting in and out of it in car parks, but access to the rear seas is difficult and benefits from being able to open the doors fully.

One thing I would mention is that the rear three quarters visibility is restricted when reversing due to the daft upward kink in the rear window.

My daughter's Skoda Citigo has far superior rear three quarter visibility for not having the daft design kink. So the 5 door would be better from that aspect.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seatbelts are a little bit of a stretch on the 3 door but not annoyingly so.
Im 6'1" and can get in and out of the back, I'd not like to regularly travel 100 miles in there but for kids its fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For anyone interested I decided to order a 3 door not a 5 door.
In my opinion it looks better, and that for me will out weigh the inconvenience.
Thanks for all your comments though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To get the exact spec I wanted was quoted as 6-9 months delivery.
however I found one already built and waiting to be shipped from Germany which was only missing the black roof. Should arrive in 4 weeks, and I will have the roof wrapped black.
the question now is do I have it gloss black like standard or go for gloss carbon fibre.

·
Registered
195 Posts
To get the exact spec I wanted was quoted as 6-9 months delivery.
however I found one already built and waiting to be shipped from Germany which was only missing the black roof. Should arrive in 4 weeks, and I will have the roof wrapped black.
the question now is do I have it gloss black like standard or go for gloss carbon fibre.
So you were initially looking for a used one, then went for new ?

What’s a brand new RHD Up! GTI doing in Germany ? - Have they started pooling them there ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts