Up Owners Club banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
For anyone interested I decided to order a 3 door not a 5 door.
In my opinion it looks better, and that for me will out weigh the inconvenience.
Thanks for all your comments though.
Just a heads up on the seats in the 3 door. When you return them from the folded position they rebound to the original point, however the rake of the seat back doesn’t. It’s irritating and it really shouldn’t be like that. It means that you need two spare hands to operate them. I have an 11yo and an 8yo and both find access to the rear fine.

Reactions: Neil981

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So you were initially looking for a used one, then went for new ?

What’s a brand new RHD Up! GTI doing in Germany ? - Have they started pooling them there ?
Was built pre-lockdow, so hopefully the shipping will restart once restrictions are lifted a littoe.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think you mean Bratislava Slovakia, that's where they're built.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think you mean Bratislava Slovakia, that's where they're built.
Yeah, I know where they’re built, I took a few pics last time I was there, which if anyone’s interested, they can view Here ...

Neil specifically said that the car he has ordered is in Germany, hence my question.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, sorry, my comment was to Neil, thinking he was assuming they were built in Germany. I should have used the "quote" facility from his post.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Made in Bratislava in Slovakia, European shipment hub in nearby Germany, Id say all UK models come in this way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer is telling me the 3 door GTI is no longer available to order.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Still on the configurator as of 2 mins ago......

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've driven both and has to be the 3 door for the more sportier looks although buying the 3 door that seat catch is annoying when someone wants to get in the rear 🙈🤣
IMG_20200523_103147.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
5 doors allows you to come back to the car and just pull open the rear door and chuck all the clobber in. That's never going to happen with a 3 door, you'll just end up opening the boot which isn't as convenient. Fighting a front seat pull forward mechanism to squeeze stuff in past it is just a hassle you'll curse each time you have to do it. Then the clincher, carry anyone over 30 and they'll risk a slipped disk each time they contort to get in and out of the back. These comments based on owing a 5 dr GTi. a 5 door C1 and a 3 door Fiat 500 in our drive at the moment. Comments about 3 doors looking better confuse me, both look equally good. Also, resale value. When I looked for my GTi the first thing I did was filter out 3 door.

·
Registered
509 Posts
At the end of the day some people like 5 doors some like 3 .
There’s no right and wrong it’s just what suits the individuals needs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
5 door looks like an old persons car. At 64 years of age i feel much younger in a 3 dr - haha!

Just ordered 3dr Gti which looks much sexier than the 5 dr imo.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Need both really (Obvs!!) 😎 But, if you can only have/ afford/ park one then the 5 dr is the lesser of two evils (IMHO)

As Sean says, people like what they like, regardless of form over function !

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've tried both and while I prefer the 3 door look, the 5 door is a lot more convenient. One thing however, that is better about the 3 door, is that the B pillar is a long way behind your left shoulder, so you do get a much better view when pulling out of junctions.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Design wise I think the 5 door looks sharper and is certainly more practical given the awkwardness of the seat tilt mechanism in the 3 door which seems to be a two handed operation.
I bought a 3 door as I seldom if ever have rear rear seat passengers but needed space for a wheelchair with rear seats folded and single passenger (a need which has now ceased). I had thought that a 3 door would make entry and egress easier but as it turned out the door aperture was so large it meant there was nothing to hold on to compared to a 5 door where the aperture is smaller.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The first UP GTI that i tested was a 5 door. I like to have the seat far back in any car and when i was about to emerge from a side road into a main road i looked to the right and all i got was a good view of the B post. The 3 door is much better in that respect.
I have always preferred 3 door cars unless there is no choice as with the Panda 100 HP which was 5 door only,plus of course sports cars MGB TR6 etc that only had 2 doors.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts