Up Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best fitting roof bars for a 3 door up?

I managed to find a genuine VW set for a 3 door, but I’m not keen on the way they fit.

They distort the door rubber quite a lot (See picture)

Do all roof bars cause the same amount of distortion?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Window Vehicle

·
Registered
63 Posts
All the ones I have experience of are similar. The Yakima one do not fit the car properly and need pretty much dismantling every time they are fitted. I sent the ones I ordered back. I would use VW original or find somewhere that has Thule that you can see fitted to the car before buying. There is barely any price difference between VW and Thule.

I have VW bars with Thule bike carriers. The Mont Blanc Barracuda bike carriers also fit. You have to be a bit careful with some of the wider aero bars as some accessories will not fit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly, VW do not supply the 3 door roofbars anymore, no idea why! You may find some online, part number was 1S3 071 126.
I have a set of VW 3 door roof bars 😎 I’m just not keen on the fit. It seems like the fit is standard regardless of roof bar.

The front ones really push out the door rubber.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
63 Posts
The VW 3 door roof bars are the same as 5 door with the exception of the angled section that grips in the window recess being about 20mm shorter. 3 door will a 5 door but the other way round needs the bracket trimming if you were to go that way.

Personally I would only do that if I could get some cheap enough second hand!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts