Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wee black high up! has encountered it's first problem! Every so often when I put my foot on the accelerator from low speeds - i.e- 1st - 3rd gear the engine emits a quite high pitched squeal! I have no idea and I'm pretty worried that its something bad! it's going in to the garage this Thursday 27th sept. Anybody encountered this or any tips or advice? The car has only done 3000 miles and been driven VERY carefully and sensibly!

Benny xxxx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like a slipping belt. Additional load on the alternator can cause this. Do you have the air con on when this happens or is the car a blue motion example?

Vup rider

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've had the air con on once or twice since I got the car! And no blue motion just a normal high up!

Hope my warranty covers it?

·
Registered
851 Posts
It does sound like a slipping alternator belt. Easy peasy to fix and no lasting damage so all should be good on your up's return.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlanG said:
It does sound like a slipping alternator belt. Easy peasy to fix and no lasting damage so all should be good on your up's return.
Awesome , thanks for your help, will update you tommorow! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
for future, best to leave the A/C on all the time.....minimal impact on consumption and better for the system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Privatedoc said:
for future, best to leave the A/C on all the time.....minimal impact on consumption and better for the system.
I though having the a/c on was bad for fuel economy ?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I've tried both....no difference found, I think its true in yesteryear when the ac pump etc was flywheel driven and very inefficient but the costs of repairing/regassing a modern tiny a/c unit are much more than the potential fuel saving of not having it on. also, it makes driving the up that much more pleasent esp in the summer or in the rainy weather (think no misting)

another thing to consider is how much having a window open affects mpg......probably more than the ac !

just my thoughts......

·
Registered
265 Posts
Somewhere there was a Mythbusters episode about a/c vs open window. Unfortunately I cant remember what the outcome was

Edit:Found it!

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/11/mythbusters_boom_lift_catapult.html

<h3>Windows down vs. air conditioning</h3>

"Urban puzzle": it is more efficient, on a hot day, to run with the
A/C on and windows up than to run with windows down (b/c of increasing
car's drag).

Computer-based mpg measurements:
* 11.7/11.8 with A/C on and windows up
* 11.7/11.8 with A/C off and windows up
* 11.3 with A/C off and windows down

So, according to the computer, it's better to use A/C with windows up.

This was too quick and easy for TV, so they decided to stage a seven
hour marathon, race-til-you're-empty duel, with Jamie driving an SUV
with A/C on and Adam driving an SUV with windows down. Though, once the
safety inspector intervened, it was no longer a seven-hour marathon, it
was a bit slower (45mph instead of 55mph), and a lot shorter (only 5
gallons each).

Jamie's A/C car ran out of gas first -- Adam's windows down SUV ran
for another 30 laps -- completely contradicting the computer mpg
estimate. Computer estimate based on air flow into the engine, so it
would appear that it is unable to properly model the difference between
A/C and windows down.

Mythbusted

Edited by: bazves

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
wonder if it was on an american barge of a car? I guess yo pays your money and takes your choice, I love the arm on windowsil position in the summer but generally rarely open the windows....except at KFC drive-throughs!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Privatedoc said:
wonder if it was on an american barge of a car? I guess yo pays your money and takes your choice, I love the arm on windowsil position in the summer but generally rarely open the windows....except at KFC drive-throughs!
Yeah it was, the SUV type thing iirc.

After being very anal about using AC in the past I now just use it as and when needed. To me there is not point in not using features of the car that make you more comfortable for the sake of a few pennies saved (which I think is what it really comes down to).

I have a funky device that can be plugged into the OBD port that amongst other thing shows engine load. The increase when turning on the AC was negligible

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree...best all round to keep AC on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts