Up Owners Club banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
St Mary’s Loch I think it’s called
You certainly ventured far inty oor wee country. Haha.Nice part of the country, I am not too far from there, probably about 15 miles as the crow flies, but as there are few roads in the area, probably about 50 miles by road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So my trip started at WhitleyBay, Morpeth, Rothbury, Otterburn, Jedburgh, Selkirk, St Mary’s Loch, Moffat, Dumfries, Carlisle, Kielder Forest, back to Otterburn and back to WhitleyBay.

No Satnav just a full tank and stayed off the main roads. Didn’t take that many pics I was having to much fun.
We will have to organise a Northern Meet somewhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good pics.

Lots of familiar places on that list. I grew up in Whitley Bay (well, Cullercoats) and had a holiday last year in a cottage on the shore of St Mary's Loch (before I got my UP)

and I hiked up to that waterfall with my dogs - here's a pic looking back to where you were parked

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not much going on at the minute but if you need wipers I highly recommend Bosch A556S for the front.

Also I have a friend in the aftermarket business and his Brembo rep just gave me a set of pads to try for the Gti. I was looking at replacing with Tarox which I have used on most of my other cars but when you get a free set of Brembo pads we might as well try them. Just waiting to see if they have any disc’s for it as there was non on the site.

What are you running on your Gti as a updated disc and pads set up.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Top Tip: Bosch* wipers are the best, but far better if you remove the cardboard packaging, which gets messy in the rain :)

*Bosch brand these wipers, but like with many Bosch and other products these days, they may not actually make them - if they don't, I wonder who really makes them? I'd be happy just replacing the 'rubber' inserts if I knew the manufacturer!

·
Registered
719 Posts
No problem mate I've had Brembo High Carbons on my Clio 182 for years 👍 Autodoc is where I have seen them currently £37 each I think

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So am stuck in isolation and the Gti has been parked up for 4 days. The Up has the well known sticky rear brakes. I only was moving it to wash it. I have tried taking the wheels off and hitting it with a hammer, pulling it back and forwards which is just causing flat spots. VW assist is coming out on Friday to recover it.

I will let you’s know what happens.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So VW Assist (AA) came out and done what I done but once and it worked lol. Gave both rear Drums one big hit each with a large metal hammer and a metal bar. He said he does 2 of these a day. His advice was to take it for a good drive with some heavy braking.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The drums need cleaning out. remove drum, remove dust, wipe clean, slightly roughen shoes, replace drum. Did my daughters 27 month old GTi a couple of weeks ago. Good as new now. If you don't clean them out, the problem will be back within a few weeks. Problem is, that operation isn't in the service schedule , and will never get done unless you ask them to do it, or do it yourself. A bad omission by VW, probably due to the fact that hardly any of their cars have had rear drums for some time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks, mate I have just ordered a new set of Delphy ones and al just put then on when they arrive

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So went out for a little drive out to best North East Road with 2 Mini’s and it was such a good laugh. They both have double the horse power and torque but could not get away from the little Up. One of the lads took some pics of mine while we’re out so this post will be pic heavy. Sorry in advance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So haven't posted in a while but my new job takes up a lot of my time. I got a flat tyre the other day and decided to replace the 195/40/17 Goodyears with some 205/40/17 Nexen’s (they couldn't get the Michelin’s that day). We will give it a month and see what there like.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No there still sat on a shelf. I have a load of parts sat there I need to get fitted it's just finding time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So took the Up to one of my favourite spots for photo’s and to test the 205/40/17 Nexens. Not too bad of Tyre.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Land vehicle Car Water Vehicle Plant

21 - 39 of 39 Posts