1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 30,000 mile service done

Service covered by plan BUT

As expected, judder on braking due to warped discs

New discs and pads fitted £249.........appealing to VW warranty!

Odd noise = Knackered steering rack.....being replaced under warranty F.O.C.

Will let you all know how warranty claim transpires but a bit hacked off as only 14 months old!

Oh, also, noisy back drum brakes need stripped and rebuilt.....another £69

·
Registered
448 Posts
I find on the Up there is very little engine braking due to the small engine and only 3 pistons. I must admit it still catches me out now and then when she just keeps rolling on.

Go well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't believe my car can have been the only one to have a misaligned front hub (it wasn't far out, but enough to cause the warping) but I was probably fortunate that it showed up early when it clearly couldn't have anything to do with normal wear and tear. Also lucky to have a technician with the persistence to find the fault, which has not recurred (17,000 now). Good luck with the warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not heavy on brakes, still 8mm of pad left after 30k miles....but if putting on new discs, will need new pads too

Will keep you all posted on what transpires !

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its very difficult to warp a disc. Have you tried having someone skim them on a lathe and seeing if that fixes it. From what I've read its more than likely going to be uneven transfer of brake pad friction material onto the disc which will make the surface uneven. Which will cause brake judder.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Privatedoc said:
No, not heavy on brakes, still 8mm of pad left after 30k miles....but if putting on new discs, will need new pads too

Will keep you all posted on what transpires !
It is good practice but not absolutely necessary.

£249 is slightly steep, even for genuine VW parts.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, dealer got back to me, discs and pads not warranty prob but VW will cover 70% of the cost as a gesture of goodwill

Result........can't say fairer than that

Going in for new steering rack and brake work next week and free courtesy car too

Big up to Ingram VW of Ayr......a dealer that goes the extra mile!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Has anybody done over 30,000 miles? just wondering if brakes, steering rack etc are common issues or this is a one off problem

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
Has anybody done over 30,000 miles? just wondering if brakes, steering rack etc are common issues or this is a one off problem
Yes, about 32,000 miles. I have had no issues, although a black plastic thing beneath the front bumper is loose due to driving into a fallen tree when parking in a nature reserve. (It was no easy to see, and not there before.) I have had two broken windscreens in one year, and need to get it replaced.

I was taught not to engine brake, proper braking helps clean the disks. Thus far I've only had 2 new front tyres, at about 30,000 miles.

I am now getting 56 mpg, not so good compared to summer.

It's a nice little car.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because I alternate with winter tyres, all my tyres are still fine, going to clean out the rear drums this weekend (36,000 miles) as they are noisy and I want to check the brake shoe wear

as you say....Fantastic wee car!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the BMT and 55 mpg is about my average both summer and winter doing 12 mile commutes on b roads and a 3 mile duel carriageway (lots of junctions though) on a trip to the coast at perfect economy conditions it did a few milesmore but nothing ground breaking! I am more than happy with this car for the price I paid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's all good.
Just wondering if BMT pays off for people who are not usually in stop/start traffic, say for your kind self who is on B roads or dual-carriageways.

I may not have the luxury of a BMT as it is not an option for ASG models and I have an auto only license.

·
Registered
430 Posts
snmpwalker said:
That's all good.
Just wondering if BMT pays off for people who are not usually in stop/start traffic, say for your kind self who is on B roads or dual-carriageways.

I may not have the luxury of a BMT as it is not an option for ASG models and I have an auto only license.
No I don't think it does, if choosing again I would stick with the standard Move Up without BMT and perhaps spend the extra on a few extras. I guess if you lived in a City where conjestion charges applied it may be worth it but after a while the stop start function gets on your nerves.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had a Smart ForTwo before my up and that had start/stop that also got on my nerves. However, it did have an override switch that enabled you to turn the function off - although this had to be done each time you switched the engine on. Do the BMTs have an override button?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Leif said:
snmpwalker said:
Leif, I noticed you mentioned 56mpg
Is yours 60ps? BMT?
I have a TakeUp, no BMT. I currently get 58 mpg having changed to a slightly nicer route. It is half dual carriage way, and half country A roads. In the summer I was getting 67 mpg, a different journey though.
Yes it can be switched off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts