Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to start the car this morning and it refused to play! Starter motor was spinning away but the engine refused to fire. Called up our dealerGilders who couldn't have been more disinterested if they had tried...unless two week old cars refusing to start is run of the mill stuff for them? RAC came out but couldn't fix so was towed the mile and a half of shameto our dealers.

Now have a hire car...waiting to see what Gilders have to say Monday...if they can be bothered to ring back that is!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, if manacee breaks down - thats the majority of gilders meadowhead customers without their ups!

Had mine left there this morning for gearbox problems, same situation as yourself - "right yea we'll have a look when we have time"

What hire car did you get?

Ben

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got offered a Passat....but was automatic which my better half didn't fancy so we ended up with a Corsa. It wasn't so much the car broke down as the attitude shown by Gilders that was disappointing....coudn't fault RAC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine too had exactly the same problem yesterday morning.was in a hurry so took the girlfriends good old reliable polo instead.thought I'd get it sorted when I got back home.as it is still waiting to hear back from dealers about gearbox issues.thiught that's it the final straw they can def have it back now.tried starting again when I got home ready to call rac and to get them to take to Southend dealers but it started 1st turn and a big puff of smoke that followed.took to work this morning,so far so good but it's gonner be dropped off Monday as had it with the up
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
727 Posts
pugliablue said:
Got offered a Passat....but was automatic which my better half didn't fancy so we ended up with a Corsa.
What kind of hotchpotch Volkswagen dealership supplies their customers with Opel (Vauxhall) hire cars...?!?! My Volkswagen dealer handles Volkswagens, period.

·
Registered
956 Posts
ZumbaQueen said:
I don't want mine now.....
Why not? It's only a small percentage who are having problems and whilst it's really awful for those who are, you shouldn't let it put you off when there are loads more who are still loving theirs after hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of miles.

And don't forget, when I say a small percentage, we're talking a small percentage of 452 forum members, NOT a small percentage of all UK up! owners.

Try not to worry about what might be

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with Clowesa

I am glad I waited to get my Up!
So far it has been great and I have now covered over 1100 miles and I still smile each time I get into the car

VW have made a really good car, but like all new models there are bound to be a small percentage of problems.

I work in IT and there is commonly held view that you should wait for the 1st service pack before going for a new piece of software, however if the new software is so much better, you have to go with it and suffer any teething problems.

The new Up! is well worth the wait

Edited by: kg149

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hire car wasn't supplied by the dealer...VW UK have a contract with RAC that means that if they can't fix it and it has to go back to the dealers then a hire car is supplied. The only VW they had in stock at short notice was a Passat automatic. Not that I'd want another VW at the moment!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Whilst I agree with Clowesa, it's not a percentage of 452 who are having problems. How many of the 452 members have actually got their car yet? It's a percentage of those people and I for one do not know how many members have collected their Up! Many are still waiting.

It's like everything in life, it's far easier to focus on the negatives. Think about the people who love their new car and have only great things to say. At this point you can only assume that yours will be 100% perfect in every way
Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever you say about numbers its still a bit worrying when you are waiting for delivery. We love the car BUT it shouldn't be breaking down. To just say it's only a small number doesn't take away from the fact that it failed and it\s not the only one! Our dealer now has two broken up! in the carpark and on his own admission they haven't had that many delivered yet!

The service dept attitude was more of a worry than anything.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed!

This is the 26th Car i've owned now in 14 yrs... thought it was a lot less, but after sitting here with the missus and having a tally up!

and I have to say it feels as well built and equipped as any other car and more so of some of the cars I've owned....

I've owned 4 VW's in the past, and 5 Mercedes. all decently spec'd models, and far from bottom of the range.... Had no problems with any of the VW's but did with 2 of the Merc's.

Nothing to do with the overall standard of manufacture of any of the cars, just think its bad luck. Afterall they are only machines. The Up! whilst a new concept here has been out and about overseas i think for a while, and the engines... well these 3 cylinder engines have been used and manufactured for a long time now under different guises and by different companies (citroen, fiat, mitsubishi) etc etc.... This is proven technology....

So ....

Keep the faith!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not given up on the car just yet...obviously a bit p***ed off at the mo!

The car and engine is a great piece of kit,when working
we gave Fiat and Citroen etc a miss when we chose the up!after reading of the badpress there dealerships get....When you market yourselves as the 'reliable,premium,quality' brand etc you must accept criticism when you don't deliver said service or goods.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You're dead right,

Fingers crossed the dealership ive been using (Vindi's Bedford) have been spot on, After using Wayside for my last few VW's im afraid on this occasion they really let themselves down with exceptionally poor customer service. So i decided to travel out a bit where they actually seem to care about the customer... well smile when they're taking you're money at least!

Hope you get it sorted!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
Write to head office vw customer service....tell them the dealers attitude!

Its not good....If it was me, I would have given the dealer a right mouthfull!

All they are interested in is MONEY....................

REGARDS

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree by and large across the country there are loads of owners not on the site who may be driving a car without issue but when you think 66.66% of the Gilders Sheffield customers on here who have taken delivery have issues it's alarming!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The aftersales service isobviously the acid test of a dealers quality....once they have your money you don't really have any ammo to fire back! Although they do seem obsessed about VW UK's questionaire that you get sent after the sale.We did mention we hadn't filled ours in and it seemed to make them sit up a bit..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Grumps said:
Hi
Write to head office vw customer service....tell them the dealers attitude!

Its not good....If it was me, I would have given the dealer a right mouthfull!

All they are interested in is MONEY....................

REGARDS

Thats exactly what i'll be doing. I wont bore you with the details but 10 - 15 calls not returned, they then offered me a decent ish part ex price for my old car.... I went home to talk to the missus, called them back to say surely a little more, they said no, so I agreed and said id pop in tomorrow etc to sort out the relevant, He delayed me due to "time off work" and said i'll be back in next week. I was in no rush so waited.... funnily enough the following week crossed into the the next month.... therefore my part ex was worth £1000 less!!!!!!

W**kers...

hence going to vindi's !!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Surely by anyone's reckoning a standard car cannot depreciate by £1000 a month!Maybe if you're talking about some mega flash sports car that cost mega bucks (I'm making assumptions that that's not what you traded in!
)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts