Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if already posted but does anyone have any advice for fitting an additional seat belt in back of an Up! ?

Looking to buy an Up but ideally need to fit 3 kids in back occasionally

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
i don't know abou the UK but in Italy on the cars papers it only seats 4 its illegal to seat a 5th person even if you were able to mount a seatbelt (whichi honestly doubt)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The Up! is only designed to carry 4, no matter how small. You'd be putting your kids at risk by squeezing them in, not to mention it being illegal.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
May not be helpfull or legal but put the 3rd rear person in the boot I did this once in my polo haha was funny

·
Registered
532 Posts
Some one I know used to get into bike racing in the boot of a car. It wasn't me of course.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ducatikid said:
Some one I know used to get into bike racing in the boot of a car. It wasn't me of course.
Do you mean get changed in the boot?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Itzben said:
May not be helpfull or legal but put the 3rd rear person in the boot I did this once in my polo haha was funny
LOL! or on the roof rack!

Seriously though, the Up! is only designed to seat 4. I don't think there is any way around it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
darlo2k said:
Looking to buy an Up but ideally need to fit 3 kids in back occasionally

·
Registered
397 Posts
scarja said:
... in Italy on the car's papers it only seats 4. Its illegal to seat a 5th person even if you were able to mount a seatbelt (whichi honestly doubt)
There are UK relaxations for certain circumstances regarding unavailability
of a child car seat in emergencies for short journeys - but would that not be overruled by a car's official Number of Seats?
The up!'s V5C (log book) says Number of Seats (including Driver) = 4. So that's all the car's insurance covers. Five passengers (incl driver) and the Insurance is ruled invalid = car uninsured?
The old idea that, as long as each child was seated, then that was the number of children you could carry, went out with the introduction of seatbelts.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Regardless of rules and regulations, it all boils down to care if your children.
Anyone that puts 3 children in the rear of an Up!, IMO, obviously has a blatant disregard for the safety and wellbeing of said children, and thus don't deserve to have them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oooh, Dave! I'd love you to be around when our Team discuss H&S and Risk Management (we're a large church of 500+ adults, children, youth and babies, meeting each week on a large County Council school premises.)
I don't think anyone would question the fact that AT TIMES - and I stress, occasionaly - one just HAS to be REALISTIC and not IDEALISTIC. And that goes very much for a busy mum (or dad) with children and transport.
Here's one example. Minibus breaks down on Motorway but it gets to Hard Shoulder. EVACUATE! is the rule. Minibus has disabled wheelchair users on board. How to evacute ....?????????

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I understand your thinking. However, if you are a family of two adults and three children, and you buy a 4 seater, you're an idiot.
I understand the idea of being caught short, and needing to make do. But even that still doesn't fly with me. You make other arrangements, it really riles me people not caring for children, even if thats 'just nipping 'round the corner' with an extra child in the car. It really doesn't take much, one careless driver and that child's gone. Forever. An it's completely avoidable in 99.9% of circumstances.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, of course, but those that believe contrary are certainly wrong in this case.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah but as shown in, for example, Looper, what if that child would become, sort of, a new Hitler? And by eliminating it, you actually save a lot of lives and do a good deed? Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, for the greater good, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts